SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 26 July 2000, 16:47
Probationary User

MSG, I am not sure where you got your information from, but it is incorrect. My old platoon Sgt. who is now a platoon commander with 3rd Marines went through SF selection, and the whole Q course, ending with MOS training and finally Robin Sage. JT
Old 27 July 2000, 10:55
Confirmed User

JPT
I think I smell another fish story here...training a Marine to function on an ODA? That would be a lot of expensive training on an enlisted Marine - that neither the Army or the Marine Corp would recoup. The term "Show Me" would have to come into effect before I believe this one.

And by the way, my information comes from 2 of my best friends who got orders to the 18B course - but no other portion of SF training.

[This message has been edited by msg-84 (edited 07-27-2000).]
Old 27 July 2000, 11:51
Confirmed

MSG,
My perspective probably predates yours and that of your friends. There have in fact been some Marines who have gone through the entire Q-Course, usually enlisted Marines. This was in the 70/80's. While it was not an every day event, it did happen. I do not know if it is still taking place. I hope that it is.

Back then and I believe still today many more Marines have gone through selected phases of the Q-Course. Tracy will attest to the fact that there have been Marine officers actually assigned to the staff of the JFK center and actively participating in the development and implementation of the training conducted in the Q-Course.

I think that sending a few Marines through the course now and then would be a great investment. Much of what is taught in other services (or other countries) schools has value or some applicability in both SOF and non-SOF related units, MOS's, etc.

Semper Fi.
Old 27 July 2000, 19:19
Confirmed User

JSOCMarine

I will defer to your expertise and consider myself shown.

My time was mid 80s to early 90s, and to my knowledge Marines did not attend Phase I (which is now selection) or Phase III - they only attended the MOS courses (excluding the 18D course).

Semper Fi
Old 27 July 2000, 21:20
Confirmed

Thumbs up

MSG,
No sweat, I wasn't trying to be combative, just letting folks know what I had personally seen. If folks here are guilty of anything, myself included at times, it is falling into the trap that during their 4 or 14 or 24 years in the Marines, SEALs, SF, etc., that they had seen it all and that everything has remained the same.

By the way,were you an MSG? If so, where? Semper Fi.
Old 27 July 2000, 23:01
Gary
Visitor

We were still occasionally sending Marines through the Q Course in the late eighties. We seemed to bag a couple of quotas a year. That was the whole shebang, selection through RS, resulting in a MOS Qualified, 18 series Recon Marine. Outstanding training, hard to come by in the Corps!
Old 9 August 2000, 19:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally posted by JSOCMarine:
MSG,
No sweat, I wasn't trying to be combative, just letting folks know what I had personally seen. If folks here are guilty of anything, myself included at times, it is falling into the trap that during their 4 or 14 or 24 years in the Marines, SEALs, SF, etc., that they had seen it all and that everything has remained the same.

I am without a doubt guilty of that, and your
point is well taken.

Quote:

By the way,were you an MSG? If so, where? Semper Fi.
Yes. Paris, France and Mauritina, West Africa.

Semper Fi.
Old 20 June 2018, 15:23

Some time ago I saw a biker wearing a patch that read "NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE GROUP PLANT" Anyone know if there is such a term ending with Plant?
Old 20 June 2018, 21:43
Been There Done That

I'm guessing it might have been NAVSPECWARGRULANT or something similar. Before my time, but maybe one of our older Frogs knows a bit more.
Old 22 June 2018, 02:02
Administrator

^ Correct. LANT - as in Atlantic and PAC as in Pacific - Circa 1968
Old 22 June 2018, 07:53

Got it! TY gentlemen.

Our new posting rules