SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 11 September 2018, 18:35
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
You need to apply for your AK Paramedic Cert right now, using your out-of-state cert. Just take my word for it.
I see a lot of hoops on their website and did a lot of reading the past hour. Physician sponsors, verifying an internship, etc... (which is where I see a current out of state cert comes in handy).
The only time I would be able to work is next summer, and I’m not so sure I’ll want to do that as we may head out of town for that time. Initially it sounded good, but I’ll have my fill of patient contacts during my training. Having a cert for the sake of having a cert isn’t really my thing. I’ll still have my NR and my old HEMS medical director on speed dial if I ever decide to do it, but I’m hoping my next cert/licensure will be as a PA.

Thank you guys for the advice, though. It is all much appreciated.
Old 11 September 2018, 19:43
Very Deplorable

To follow up, my mid-long term plan is to join the .mil reserve after I have a year of civilian patient care experience as a PA. So I think my paramedic days are behind me. My experience as a CCT medic will surely be of benefit.
Old 12 September 2018, 02:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
I would be interested in that. I have not yet looked into getting it up here yet though. My out of state cert expires this month, but my FP-C is good until 2019(which doesn’t mean much to the state) and I renewed my National Reg which expires 2020.
From what I’ve heard they don’t have a whole lot of full fledged certed paramedics up here, but rather some sort of advanced EMT medic hybrid thing.
Care to PM about it?
Small novel sent
Old 12 September 2018, 13:00
Confirmed User

Don't forget to try out Humpy's (downtown Anchorage) for fried halibut chunks.
Old 12 September 2018, 15:36
Very Deplorable

Will do!
Old 13 September 2018, 15:41
Divides by zero

Quote:

There are a ton of great restaurants and brewery’s we’ve gone to such as 49th State, Moose’s Tooth, and the Rustic Goat to name a few. We’ve noticed that the food prices are a bit higher in store and eating out. You guys definitely weren’t wrong, nothing in AK is cheap by any means.

Well, there is my complete AAR after being here for a month. Thank you all for the great information and advice on the ALCAN, AK, and the living style/conditions.
Check out Bleeding Heart Brewery in Palmer. My Jarhead buddy owns it.
Old 14 September 2018, 15:51
Very Deplorable

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapstash View Post
We’re actually headed to Hatcher’s Pass tomorrow, so I will do just that.
Old 24 September 2018, 18:20
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapstash View Post
Bleeding Heart was great! Excellent brews! You buddy wasn’t there; the owner was at a thing in another town.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5EA019A1-2901-423A-B382-246FE6BDC764.jpg (22.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 25 September 2018, 06:57
Divides by zero

Quote:
Bleeding Heart was great! Excellent brews! You buddy wasn’t there; the owner was at a thing in another town.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Right on! Looks delish.
Old 6 October 2018, 06:45
Been There Done That

Some great biking around Anchorage- IIFC there's about 140 miles of bike trails/ bikeways along roads. You can bike out to Eagle River and down to Girdwood going south. The bike paths double as Cross country ski trails after there's about 8-10" of snow...

Are you retired mil or a vet? New rules for using the PX, so you can go to the Sports Store on what used to be Elmendork (now Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson to buy your fishing gear and weapons. The store had a pretty impressive assortment of weapons when I was there in 91-94.

Our new posting rules