SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 9 October 2018, 18:05

Clearance transfer question

Hey guys, so I just left from one company to another on WPS contracts. My security clearance was issued on March of this year, and my old company FSO told me heís already released it. Several people told me it should only be a quick form to fill out for the swap from one company to another, and the wait period should be the clearance being released by the original company. However, the individual handling my clearance for the new company had me fill out a whole new SF86 packet and said it would be about 180 to 250 days.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the process, and if this is howís its supposed to go. When I decided to make the switch I was told the wait would only be for the 30-45 days for my original company to release my clearance.

Thanks for your help fellas, itís greatly appreciated.
Old 9 October 2018, 22:00
Been There Done That

Search the WPS clearance threads.
Old 9 October 2018, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
Search the WPS clearance threads.
I did, and I found several references towards trying to transfer clearances between agencies, and some discussion on transferring a clearance between companies, but I couldnít find anything that described the process of it as I was wondering. Iím just a little stressed cause I wasnít expecting a 180 day wait. I knew probably 60 days since they kept telling me it wouldnít be more than 45 and we know how that goes.
Old 10 October 2018, 05:23
Been There Done That

The FSOs between the companies should be handling it. Timeframes with ANYTHING clearance related is always speculation. Since you just got a clearance and then jumped ship (they spent lots of money to process your clearance) then don’t expect them to jump through hoops to help you out. You fucked them, suffer the consequences.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:09

not really. You cut pay, you can expect people to walk.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:24
Administrator

Regardless, they invested money in you and you obviously got value from that investment, or you wouldn't have a clearance to broker at the place you're trying to jump to.

They have no incentive to make things easy.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Regardless, they invested money in you and you obviously got value from that investment, or you wouldn't have a clearance to broker at the place you're trying to jump to.

They have no incentive to make things easy.
Iím tracking on that, but the company I left isnít making it difficult, they released it within two weeks. My question is do you have to complete an entire background packet and start the process over to get the clearance transferred?
Old 10 October 2018, 08:40

Quote:
The FSOs between the companies should be handling it. Timeframes with ANYTHING clearance related is always speculation. Since you just got a clearance and then jumped ship (they spent lots of money to process your clearance) then donít expect them to jump through hoops to help you out. You fucked them, suffer the consequences.
Just a question to that since you brought it up. My understanding is once you get boots on ground State reimburses the company for all training and BI costs. Is that true? Because they pushed to make sure we got over there, but honestly a bunch of people left at the same time and they didnít give any issues whatsoever. Someone had said it was because it didnít matter once they got reimbursed on the training costs.
Old 10 October 2018, 09:29
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
Iím tracking on that, but the company I left isnít making it difficult, they released it within two weeks. My question is do you have to complete an entire background packet and start the process over to get the clearance transferred?
Very familiar as I went through this same deal recently. If you were on a WPS II contract with a granted clearance AND you deployed then they can slide your clearance over without a complete re investigation. You will fill out an SF86c that updates anything new. If you did not deploy, like I did, then you will have an completely new investigation.

I can also confirm that the company "releasing" you will draaaag their feet. I was told for 3 weeks "we released it and they should have it". They did spend a crap ton on it and will try and do what they can to keep you around. That's my opinion anyways.
Old 10 October 2018, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangorilla83 View Post
Very familiar as I went through this same deal recently. If you were on a WPS II contract with a granted clearance AND you deployed then they can slide your clearance over without a complete re investigation. You will fill out an SF86c that updates anything new. If you did not deploy, like I did, then you will have an completely new investigation.

I can also confirm that the company "releasing" you will draaaag their feet. I was told for 3 weeks "we released it and they should have it". They did spend a crap ton on it and will try and do what they can to keep you around. That's my opinion anyways.
Thanks I appreciate it. From what Iím hearing now it may have been a miscommunication somewhere.
Old 10 October 2018, 10:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Appearently the answer to that is YES for your prostepctive employer. You can always refuse and see how long they ignore you.

Quote:
Just a question to that since you brought it up. My understanding is once you get boots on ground State reimburses the company for all training and BI costs. Is that true? Because they pushed to make sure we got over there, but honestly a bunch of people left at the same time and they didnít give any issues whatsoever. Someone had said it was because it didnít matter once they got reimbursed on the training costs.
Depends on the contract. You may have had to complete an entire rotation/year/etc.. for the company to be able to claim training and hiring costs.
Old 10 October 2018, 11:00

Quote:
Appearently the answer to that is YES for your prostepctive employer. You can always refuse and see how long they ignore you.

Depends on the contract. You may have had to complete an entire rotation/year/etc.. for the company to be able to claim training and hiring costs.
Got ya. Yeah we were told they only need BOG for 30 days, thatís why the push is to get you there, but they donít get angry with guys not coming back after a rotation. The company treated us great, just with certain deductions we took mid rotation I could make the same at my job back home.
Old 14 October 2018, 14:25
Confirmed User

Depends on if you are a "short-form" or "long-form" SF86. If you're a short-form then it could be fairly quick, if you're a long-form then it will likely be the maximum of the window they gave you.

Also, just because the company told you they released it does NOT mean they actually did. I served out the 1 year promised to my last company and then moved on and they still screwed me. Said they released it (I even had a paper trail), new company initiates the transfer and state kicks it back after waiting for x months so we had to re-initiate and wait again. Obviously this cost me a ton of time off project.

Be ready for the long haul off project. I was told 3 months, ended up being 10. Some advice I got here really helped; don't count on anything until you've got your plane tickets in your hand. Prepare accordingly.
Old 14 October 2018, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangercon View Post
Depends on if you are a "short-form" or "long-form" SF86. If you're a short-form then it could be fairly quick, if you're a long-form then it will likely be the maximum of the window they gave you.

Also, just because the company told you they released it does NOT mean they actually did. I served out the 1 year promised to my last company and then moved on and they still screwed me. Said they released it (I even had a paper trail), new company initiates the transfer and state kicks it back after waiting for x months so we had to re-initiate and wait again. Obviously this cost me a ton of time off project.

Be ready for the long haul off project. I was told 3 months, ended up being 10. Some advice I got here really helped; don't count on anything until you've got your plane tickets in your hand. Prepare accordingly.
Thanks, youíre definitely right about banking on anything without a plane ticket in hand. Thankfully they looked into it and found that Iím the short form and not the long, so I have that going for me. We had a meeting recently with management on project and someone brought this question up, they said that State is now telling companies they have to release within 30 days unless they have an explicit reason not to, such as equipment not accounted for, etc. donít know how true it is, just what we were told.

Our new posting rules