SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 1 February 2018, 22:41
Never to old to learn

Thumbs down Gregory Salcido, HS teacher attacks military service members

Received this from someone, in Southern CA I know we have some members in Southern CA how about have a talk with this SOB

California Town Councilman and high school teacher Gregory Salcido on service members: “dumb $#!*’s, not high level thinkers”
January 29th, 2018 by MOTHAX

Well, I saw this little gem on Saturday morning, and could barely wait to come in this morning and introduce the readers to Gregory Salcido. Mr. Salcido is a history teacher at El Rancho High and a city councilman in Pico Rivera, in sunny southern California. Let me start with a warm language warning here, and a mighty trigger warning, because not only does he like to use profanity in teaching his classes, he has some rather…..well, unorthodox beliefs about the men and women currently fighting overseas.

He comes right out of the gate on this video with the quote to end all quotes: at end of page

We have a bunch of dumb shits over there. [Our service members in Iraq and Afghanistan.] Think about the people that you know over there, your fricken stupid uncle Louie, or whatever, they’re dumb shits. They’re not like high level thinkers, they’re not academic people, they’re not intellectual people. They’re the fricken lowest of our low.”

So yeah, before I even address that little bit of ugliness, let me start with the news report, and then the actual video, which honestly has to be seen (or in this case listened to) to be believed.

From the San Gabriel Valley Times:
Three videos on social media of Pico Rivera Councilman Gregory Salcido, a teacher at El Rancho High School, making disparaging remarks about the military and berating a student for wearing a sweatshirt with a Marines logo have gone viral and created a backlash.
El Rancho Unified School District officials confirmed Saturday, Jan. 27 that the person speaking is Salcido and that the incident took place on school grounds.
“We acknowledge it is his voice based on the research of the incident so far and knowing it came from one of our classrooms,” district Superintendent Karling Aguilera-Fort said in a phone interview.

“We have reached out to Mr. Salcido but have not been able to talk to him because he is out of town,” Aguilera-Fort said.
A subsequent Facebook post by Mr. Salcido came in from New York, where he was evidently attending a musical with his family, wherein he defended himself on the grounds that “I don’t think it’s wise for me to make any specific comments, but I want my friends, family, and students to know we are fine and we respect the rights of free expression for all individuals.”

Ah, yes, the First Amendment Defense. Unfortunately, you’re not really doing it right.

Here’s the video (again, slight language warning): at bottom of page

OK, so maybe they have a higher education level, but they don’t succeed outside the military, right?
Yeah, not so much, as this Business Insider article profiled 15 Top 500 CEOs who got their start in the military:
Few institutions teach discipline, management, logistics, and efficiency like the US Armed Forces, so it's no surprise that Ranker's list of Fortune 500 CEOs finds many military veterans.

These are the Chief Executive Officers of companies you might have heard of, like Johnson and Johnson, Proctor and Gamble, Casey’s General Store, Walgreens, Viacom, General Motors, Verizon, Foot Locker and Fed Ex.

So, he’s wrong on education level and wrong on success in the outside world. Empirically wrong. But most of us knew that anecdotally. When my unit deployed to Afghanistan, I was in my second year of law school and I volunteered to go. Not because I had no options, I wanted to serve. My best friend was also enlisted as an E5 Sergeant, despite his having a Master’s Degree in National Security Studies from Georgetown and working full time at the highest levels of the Pentagon. A guy I served as an infantryman with in Bosnia was an Air Traffic Controller in civilian life. I knew other enlisted guys who were lawyers, nurses, school administrators and business leaders. One of my fellow squad leaders was pursuing a masters in History at Carnegie Mellon. Maybe my unit was out of the ordinary, but not according to the numbers that GWU has shown above. Perhaps Mr. Salcido is looking at a different study, but I’d love to see it.

Meanwhile, before he shut his Facebook down to outside comments, it had already amassed 508 comments, ranging from very angry, to defending the teacher, to snark at the situation he finds himself in now.

One comment was noted in the San Gabriel Valley Times that should probably have made me mad (and evidently did make others mad) but just made me giggle:
“This teacher is saying something every parent needs to hear!” wrote someone named Omar Grubbs. “Because no parent should want their kid joining the military. There is so much more in life than signing up to slave away for a country that taxes the poor and not the rich.”

That comment right there has so much wrong with it I’m not even sure where to start. I have a 2.5 year old daughter, and I dream of her being accepted into the Air Force Academy someday. To do that, she’ll have to excel all along the way, but that is my dream for her. I have 5 month old twin boys, and I dream someday that they’ll follow Dad into the Army. Maybe as infantrymen. One looks like a ranger already, and the other looks like he could be a sniper. A bit hard to tell at that age. But if they come to me and say they’d rather go into music, theater, or (God forbid) politics or the Peace Corps, I would be no less or more proud of them. The military was a great way of life for me. I wasn’t a “slave” to a country of people run by some oligarchy; I wasn’t drafted; I went willingly. As did every single other person I served with.

They say that the Infantry is the lowest of what Mr. Salcido claims is a subset which is already the “lowest of the low.” Which I guess makes us Grunts the “lowest of the lowest of the low.” Ok tough guy. Here’s a list of the Skill Level 1 tasks for an infantryman, which include: first aid, communications, orient a map to the ground by map-terrain association, detect chemical agents, use of night vision devices, search a detainee……it goes on for 9 pages of tasks.
I have nothing against all other occupations, but a history teacher is supposed to remember things from history, and then pass them along. Our *list* of tasks, to be level 1 is 9 pages long. If it is so easy, then I would challenge Mr. Salcido to read those tasks, and then see how he can do against a random serviceman or woman on the Expert Infantry Badge Qualification. We’ll see who the “dumb $#!^’s” are then.

As for his First Amendment defense, I’m not going to even bother going into detail on that one. He didn’t figure out that teachers can’t just say or do whatever they want the first two times apparently:

In May 2012, he was put on paid administrative leave after the Sheriff’s Department received a complaint that he struck a student.
In July 2010, a parent complained that Salcido had threatened his daughter, made inappropriate comments to his summer school class about race and insulted other students and parents, which Salcido denied.
He was suspended until the following fall’s first day of class.

The over-use of the free speech defense is startling to me. Apparently, some people think it is some sort of panacea or magic wand with which one can extricate oneself from problems by just crying it out loud: “rights of free expression for all individuals” and voila! all the problems are gone.
The First Amendment has limitations, defamation and libel being two obvious ones, but swearing in a classroom with minors, insulting large groups of people in the US and citing “facts” that are most charitably debatable doesn’t automatically get overridden because you say it is protected. Using that logic, there are any number of things that people would tell their boss on any given day, and then inform the employer that they couldn’t be fired because of the First Amendment.
If you are dumb enough to believe that, you get everything you deserve. As far as being a councilman (and even former mayor), well, that’s up to the fine people of Pico Rivera, California to decide. That’s the beauty of living in a representative democracy, vice a slave state envisioned by the Omar Grubbs’ of the world

https://youtu.be/lb-2EGFzN44

https://www.facebook.com/gregory.sal...93590500741869

Last edited by wildman43; 1 February 2018 at 22:48.
Old 1 February 2018, 22:44
Violence of Action

He was suspended from teaching which is fitting. Hopefully he will be fired since the classroom isn't a place for his opinion. He can keep that to himself and teach the kids what they are there to learn.

If he wants to express his opinion in a classroom, let him become a tenured professor at a college. Other than that, he should shut his mouth and teach.

The saddest part of the whole deal is that the kid who filmed it is supposedly receiving death threats.

This world is getting more pathetic by the day!
Old 1 February 2018, 22:52
Confirmed User

Saw this on the American Legion website, a Burn Pit article took him to task over his rant. If the military is so dumb why doesn't he join up and show us how to do it the right way. Windbag probably wouldn't make it half way through basic.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 1 February 2018, 23:20
Been There Done That

All because some of his students were wearing USMC shirts and one recorded his rant. He doesn't think Recruiters should be allowed on campus.

He doesn't think the Military types are "Academics", and not productive to society. This just shows his ignorance.

He should be made to walk past every marker in Arlington and actually read it then pay a visit to Walter Reed. Then have his ass kicked.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 2 February 2018, 15:06
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post

He doesn't think the Military types are "Academics", and not productive to society. This just shows his ignorance.
A week in my Arabic class at DLI might have changed his opinion.

Then again, probably not.
Old 2 February 2018, 15:57
Calculating Infinity...

Fuck Salcido.
Old 2 February 2018, 20:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
A week in my Arabic class at DLI might have changed his opinion.

Then again, probably not.
I have BS and MSc degrees, but the hardest academic and most stressful examination I ever took was the calculation and placement of explosives charges in the SFQC 18C course. The Thai language exam at the end of language school was very difficult as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 February 2018, 20:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I have BS and MSc degrees, but the hardest academic and most stressful examination I ever took was the calculation and placement of explosives charges in the SFQC 18C course. The Thai language exam at the end of language school was very difficult as well.
That should have been an easy test. "P" for plenty right?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 3 February 2018, 15:28
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Absolutely, a lot of technical knowledge involved in the demo stuff, as well as the realization that if you get it wrong your day could be ruined.
Old 2 February 2018, 18:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
All because some of his students were wearing USMC shirts and one recorded his rant. He doesn't think Recruiters should be allowed on campus.

He should be made to walk past every marker in Arlington and actually read it then pay a visit to Walter Reed. Then have his ass kicked.
Arlington and Walter Reed will probably have no affected on him just give this waste of skin an ass kicking and be done with him.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 2 February 2018, 20:27
Never to old to learn

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P304X4 View Post
Arlington and Walter Reed will probably have no affected on him just give this waste of skin an ass kicking and be done with him.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Walter Reed close down an transfer everyone to Maryland VA hospital except for a few that could not be moved.
Old 1 February 2018, 23:25
Shakin' the bush Boss

No need to freak out. He'll spew this shit in a bar some cold dark night and somebody will put the man hands on him. Tick tock.
Old 1 February 2018, 23:38
Confirmed User

As far as academic, teaching is a somewhat noble profession but most of the people pursuing it aren't all that academic compared to a lot of other college educated people, I'm just saying. He is entiteled to his opinion at home, or in a candid conversation with a student, but that was a poor choice. He's just echoing the misconceptions of this nation and recent generations.

Another note, for all those who serve and are actually NOT ACADEMIC, if you aren't mature enough to see that there are things outside of learned cushy jobs that have intrinsic or public value...well maybe you're not as intelligent as you think. A bonehead willing to put their life on the line for society is a much more valuable person that a random guy with a BA that thinks he can bash others with superficial knowledge of them. Everyone has a story, and for whatever reason you decided to serve and did so honorably, I'd like to thank you. You keep knuckleheads like this safe so they can bloviate in front of teenagers!! Someday the Russians, Koreans Jihads, Chinese etc. are going to be knocking at the door and nobody's going to want to be surrounded by guys like this.
Old 2 February 2018, 10:24
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
No need to freak out. He'll spew this shit in a bar some cold dark night and somebody will put the man hands on him. Tick tock.
HAHA, I just LOL'ed. Yep, that would be great
Old 1 February 2018, 23:47
Been There Done That

I wonder how many of his previous students are $30k in debt, and unemployable, wishing they joined the military where they could learn a skill, learn about leadership, and not in debt from a pointless degree. But yeah, people in the military are not high level thinkers. Meanwhile, last I checked, the unemployment rate among veterans was below the national average, and the average income of veterans was above the national average.
Old 2 February 2018, 00:00
Only slightly useless.

Any one who thinks all service members are stupid should come here to Socnet! There are "knuckle dragging door kicking infantry types" on here who could get into a graduate level debate with anyone and win handily!

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 2 February 2018, 00:10
Shakin' the bush Boss

Man hands. They're comin. Patience.
Old 2 February 2018, 00:14
Unemployed Stunt Double

The woman of his dreams probably left him for Lance Corporal at Pendleton, and he's still bitter.
Old 2 February 2018, 11:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The woman of his dreams probably left him for Lance Corporal at Pendleton, and he's still bitter.
now that's funny.
Old 2 February 2018, 11:49
33,024 - R.I.P.

F**k this fartbox and his elitist attitude towards those that honorably serve and educate themselves. I joined the military straight out of HS, as many of us did. Not because I was a "non-academic", but rather I didn't want to be a busboy for the rest of my life and didn't have the coin for even attending a junior college. Best choice of my life.

Now, I have four degrees, including an MBA, that are all employed in my daily career. I will go head-to-head with this guy intellectually any day of the week, and feed the scraps to DirtyDog0311...'cuz he likes that shit.

Our new posting rules