SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 September 2020, 15:58
Confirmed User

DC WWII Flyover Sept. 25, 2020 11:30AM EST

Most of you will remember the flyover from 5 years ago. Next Friday is the rescheduled date from May 8th.

"The flyover is scheduled to begin. The first formation is estimated to be over the Lincoln Memorial
 at 11:30 a.m. (EST).

The Arsenal of Democracy aircraft will proceed to a holding point about 10 miles west of Leesburg where they will begin the flight down the Potomac River towards DC. As they approach the Lincoln Memorial, they will turn East and proceed down Independence Avenue. At the completion of the flyover of the WWII Memorial, the aircraft will turn south and begin their flight down the Potomac River and back to their original airports."

I know people that viewed the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flyover from the USAF Memorial a few months ago. I myself watched it from the top deck of the Pentagon City Mall. Anyway, figured some people local and not quite local might be interested in this it doesn't seem to be as well marketed as last time.
Old 18 September 2020, 15:59
Confirmed User

Link to official site:
https://ww2flyover.org/general-infor...ule-and-route/
Old 18 September 2020, 16:17
Authorized Personnel

One of my coworkers will be flying one of the planes (USAF Veteran, too). Really cool.
Old 18 September 2020, 17:30
Confirmed User

I followed the link provided by DC Photog and the list of planes that are supposed to be flying are impressive.

Just to list a few: P-40 Warhawk, P-39 Airacobra, P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, B-25 Mitchell, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-29 Superfortress and the A26.

I have never seen a A26 Invader nor a P39 Airacobra.

The Douglas A-26/B-26 bomber was the only American bomber to fly missions in three wars. After World War II, it served as a first-line bomber during the Korean War and during the Vietnam War.
Old 18 September 2020, 17:43
The atomic zit

Badass!!!

Who’s going? No way I can without a divorce...
Old 18 September 2020, 19:04
Confirmed User

Last time the A-26/B-26's and C-47's with all the fighters flew out of Culpeper Airport and the larger bombers B-17's, B-25's, and B-29's all took off out of Manassas Airport. So there are opportunities for those further outside the Beltway to see take offs and landings if a ride closer to the District isn't desired. Seems like they are running this just about the same as last time.
Old 18 September 2020, 20:40
Back on The Farm

Would be there if it was a Sunday. No way I can get a Friday off, definitely not dealing with DC traffic even if I could...

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 18 September 2020, 20:48
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
I followed the link provided by DC Photog and the list of planes that are supposed to be flying are impressive.

Just to list a few: P-40 Warhawk, P-39 Airacobra, P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, B-25 Mitchell, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-29 Superfortress and the A26.

I have never seen a A26 Invader nor a P39 Airacobra.

The Douglas A-26/B-26 bomber was the only American bomber to fly missions in three wars. After World War II, it served as a first-line bomber during the Korean War and during the Vietnam War.
I've never seen an A26 either, but it certainly doesn't fuck around. We needed something like this a decade ago in Afghanistan and Iraq. Yes, you saw that right... in addition to MANY hard points, and a bomb bay, those are EIGHT machineguns in the nose. Big loiter time, nice and slow, would have been pretty sweet to have on station.

Armament:
Guns:
  • Six or Eight M2 Browning machine guns in solid, "all purpose" nose: or two M2 machine guns in glass "bombardier" nose
  • Up to Eight M2 machine guns paired in four optional under wing pods: or three M2 machine guns in each outer wing panel
  • 2 M2 machine guns in remote-controlled dorsal turret
  • 2 M2 machine guns in remote-controlled ventral turret
Rockets: Up to 10 5-inch HVAR rockets on "zero length" launch pylons, five under each outer wing panel

Bombs: Up to 6,000 lb capacity - 4,000 lb in the bomb bay plus 2,000 lb carried externally on underwing hardpoints

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 18 September 2020 at 20:58.
Old 18 September 2020, 21:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
Would be there if it was a Sunday. No way I can get a Friday off, definitely not dealing with DC traffic even if I could...
DC traffic has basically been just above Sunday morning traffic going in with all the shutdowns.
Old 19 September 2020, 21:54
Confirmed User

On the Commemorative Airforce Web page it gives some additional information regarding the week long event. It is a shame that the whole ground event is closed to the public because they have put a lot of time, effort and logistics into it.

From the webpage:
""About 65 WWII fighters and twin-engine bombers participating in the Arsenal of Democracy flyover of our nation's capital will be based at an airport that will resemble a WWII airfield the week of September 21. This is probably the last time ever that this number of WWII aircraft will be based at the same place at the same time.

But we will be flying Warbird Rides in our WWII Boeing PT-17 Stearman so you can see what a WWII airfield looked like and view or photograph these magnificent aircraft from the air. We'll be flying a limited number of rides out of the Warrenton-Fauquier Airport.

After you've taken this fantastic ride over the Culpeper Airport as a WWII airfield, you might want to complete your WWII experience by booking a Warbird Ride in either our Stinson L-5 Sentinel Forward Air Controller or General Motors TBM Avenger Torpedo Bomber.""

I also read that the The B-17G Bomber “Sentimental Journey” will be in Richmond, VA September 14-20, 2020. It is available for viewing at the Hanover/Ashland Airport.

I actually was able to tour this plane along with a B25 while I was in Bismarck a couple of months ago.
Old 22 September 2020, 13:44
Russian Tycoon

Thank you posting this; I will try to catch it with my colleagues.
Old 22 September 2020, 14:22
Been There Done That

It figures..... I leave DC at 0930.
Old 22 September 2020, 15:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I also read that the The B-17G Bomber “Sentimental Journey” will be in Richmond, VA September 14-20, 2020. It is available for viewing at the Hanover/Ashland Airport.
I had the opportunity to take a 30 minute ride in this plane out of Prescott, AZ regional airport in 2002. Amazing experience...

I am sorry that I am not in DC because I would love to see this WW II flyover!!!
Old 23 September 2020, 07:09
A/1/75

I called Culpeper and Manassas Airports. No public access to the planes and they are banning roadside parking to keep people away.
I was hoping to get in to see some of these old birds.

Charlie
Old 23 September 2020, 14:18
Confirmed User

I plan on attending, anyone have any tips on where the best place to view the flyover is?
Old 23 September 2020, 16:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copecwby20 View Post
I plan on attending, anyone have any tips on where the best place to view the flyover is?
To view from your car? I'd go to Gravelly Point park by Reagan Airport.

You could try to park at the Pentagon City Mall then walk up to the top deck. I watched the T-Bird/Blue Angel flyover there. But the top deck was closed to vehicle traffic. Security didn't seem to care that there were dozens of people up there. That was before the mall was open. It is open now but the top deck was still closed to car traffic as of a week ago.

If you head down early, parking is probably going to still be fine on the National Mall. It's still a ghost town down there most hours of the day in regards to cars.

East Potomac Park is worth a drive by to.

I would basically pack a lunch, snacks, whatever head over early and cruise around a while and see what looks reasonable.

I personally would stay off the National Mall, but that's just me.
Old 23 September 2020, 20:51
Old Scroll

Arlington stop on the METRO. Lots of grassy area all around. Get there early.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 September 2020, 10:13
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
To view from your car? I'd go to Gravelly Point park by Reagan Airport.
Pretty much. Plenty of parking and grassy area. No reason to go into DC, even if traffic doesn’t exist.
Old 25 September 2020, 11:03
Confirmed User

I kept trying to access the groups webpage but it kept coming up with an error.
I was curious if they would fly due to the weather

UPDATED at 10:37 a.m. 9/25/2020: The Arsenal of Democracy Flyover scheduled for Friday morning over the National Mall has been canceled.

“Well, we tried, but we never got the weather visibility we needed for the #ww2flyover so today’s flight is off. The weather was supposed to clear in time but it never cooperated with us so we will try again tomorrow at 11:30am EDT. Stay tuned for announcements in the morning,” a message on the group’s ******** said.
Old 25 September 2020, 11:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
I kept trying to access the groups webpage but it kept coming up with an error.
I was curious if they would fly due to the weather

UPDATED at 10:37 a.m. 9/25/2020: The Arsenal of Democracy Flyover scheduled for Friday morning over the National Mall has been canceled.

“Well, we tried, but we never got the weather visibility we needed for the #ww2flyover so today’s flight is off. The weather was supposed to clear in time but it never cooperated with us so we will try again tomorrow at 11:30am EDT. Stay tuned for announcements in the morning,” a message on the group’s ******** said.
Yea, I've been offline. But it's been canceled due to fog at the airfield (s) and in theory will go off the same time tomorrow.

They will be sending updates throughout the day to local media outlets. The first one I saw that had it was WTOP.com

While driving home I saw a lot of people still sitting in the field around Iwo Jima and on some of the bridges themselves. I told everyone I saw as I was leaving my position.

Our new posting rules