SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 7 November 2013, 23:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
I've applied for jobs on usajobs in the past, and well versed with the slow progress, KSA's, etc. However, I got notified of a cop job on the Air Force Academy, GS-06 starting level. I bit the bullet and got into the process. Had the multiple choice questionare (right about 40 questions) and went through it all in about an hour. The posting was only open for a couple days and closed at midnight last night. I got an email today telling me my info has been forwarded on to the hiring people. Went a lot quicker than I thought it would. We'll see what happens from here.
Not to burst your bubble but I've been told by 3 different people: 1 hiring official, and 2 different HR personnel, in regards to short announcements on the website. All have said when you see an announcement less than a week long it means the agency already has someone they are going to move into the position and posts on USA Jobs because they have to.

I've been shortlisted to the hiring official on a few different occasions over the years on short openings too and nothing came of it.

Keep us updated. Maybe I'm wrong....It'd be nice to hear those short announcements came through for someone
Old 8 November 2013, 00:50
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jeep View Post
Not to burst your bubble but I've been told by 3 different people: 1 hiring official, and 2 different HR personnel, in regards to short announcements on the website. All have said when you see an announcement less than a week long it means the agency already has someone they are going to move into the position and posts on USA Jobs because they have to.
Not for 0083 jobs. 1801/1811/0301/0080...? Perhaps.....but not for 0083 gigs.....
Old 8 November 2013, 07:17
Confirmed User

Two were for 0083 and one for 1811.

I have the announcements saved and will look up the dates and agency.
Old 8 November 2013, 11:51
Been There Done That

Quote:

Well hell! I keep getting emails that I'm being sent forward, further review, qualified, etc. We'll see what happens. Now I'm off to the airport to go to Charlotte, NC, ride some horses, maybe do some hunting and see my wife again after 2 weeks!
Old 8 November 2013, 12:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
when you see an announcement less than a week long it means the agency already has someone they are going to move into the position and posts on USA Jobs because they have to.
Certainly could be true in some cases but I know of many times we have gone with the shorter job anouncement open period because experience has shown you get the same number and quality when it is open for a short period as you do for a long open period. You are only waiting longer for the cert to come out. Same people on it, the people that are looking are looking every day.
Old 8 November 2013, 19:05
On the Extract Bird

Quote:

Shocked at someone saying 0083 gigs....because they are so hard to fill as it is because of the low pay.

All the gigs I've filled over the years I've never had any pre-notions of who I/we wanted to hire.....

If they are actually doing that, it's illegal and they should be kicked in the balls.......
Old 8 November 2013, 21:59
Confirmed User

Quote:

I've been shortlisted to the hiring official on a few different occasions over the years on short openings too and nothing came of it.

Keep us updated. Maybe I'm wrong....It'd be nice to hear those short announcements came through for someone
Usually when this happens the job announcement is listed under "current employees" not "all."
Old 9 November 2013, 06:18
Confirmed User

Drew, hang in there might be the agencies I dealt with are the only ones doing this.

Keep us informed. I've skip by a few announcements that closed in a week or less.
Old 9 November 2013, 09:01
Swimming Upstream

I've had the same thing happen...jobs I can guarantee I am more than qualified for..but to learn that I didn't even make the first cut...because they had someone in mind already.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 9 November 2013, 09:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I've had the same thing happen...jobs I can guarantee I am more than qualified for..but to learn that I didn't even make the first cut...because they had someone in mind already.
Same here- the 'good ol' boy' system in effect. I have applied for over 2 dozen jobs over the last 6 years in the MSE G-3; the MSE G-3 (retired E-7) refuses to hire me. When I finally asked him point blank, he p\told me they used a 'weighted decision making matrix' to select their personnel. Completely legal but we all know that you can make that do ANYTHING you want it to do...

Latest trend here is that all jobs now have to be filled by current employees...
Old 9 November 2013, 18:47
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post

Latest trend here is that all jobs now have to be filled by current employees...
SGM....AF is doing that big-time now for some reason..... AF employees only for a crap ton of jobs......
Old 10 November 2013, 19:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Primarily because you of the hiring freeze. Can't hire anyone new but if a vacancy opens up because someone retires or otherwise leaves you still have to announce the vacancy and go through the same selection process to fill it from within.
Old 13 November 2013, 14:07
Been There Done That

Latest update, I got an email yesterday from the cop supervisor actually on the AFA. Gave me the requirements for hire (PAT, clearance, drug test, etc.) and a request to email a response by Friday if I was still interested. Sent that yesterday afternoon :D Guess I should get out and do a little PT. My luck, I'll be testing against some 20 something year old recently or soon to be, separated AF Security Forces folks. Don't move as quick now at 48, but I'm a lot smarter and more experienced!
Old 13 November 2013, 14:13
Been There Done That

Double tap

Last edited by rgrdrew; 13 November 2013 at 14:13. Reason: Double tap
Old 13 November 2013, 22:32

My inject into the discussion is that notwithstanding the chance that short window announcements are already “spoken for”, apply anyway.

Having been a screening and selecting official with the G I can tell you that sometimes announcements have a small window because of past experience with getting flooded with applications; all of which must be reviewed, ranked, sorted and shortlisted.

And let’s not discount the chance that the "golden one" may not be able to take the position. I have seen this happen when a candidate was identified and ranked well above the rest, yet for one reason or another they were out of the running. That leaves the next person on the list...
Old 14 November 2013, 10:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jon View Post
Having been a screening and selecting official with the G I can tell you that sometimes announcements have a small window because of past experience with getting flooded with applications; all of which must be reviewed, ranked, sorted and shortlisted.

And letís not discount the chance that the "golden one" may not be able to take the position. I have seen this happen when a candidate was identified and ranked well above the rest, yet for one reason or another they were out of the running. That leaves the next person on the list...
I've had similar experiences. Many times, the short window is a result of the HR shop's approach, versus the group who has the requirement. There have been times where I was frustrated due to the short window - we wanted more candidates to apply to ensure a healthy/competitive pool. Ideally, an announcement is open at minimum for a week. But due to the facts stated above, USAJOBS posting can be short.

Due to consolidation of various hiring processes into one standardized process, everything (internal/external) must get announced in the open thorugh USA jobs even if everyone that can see it, can't apply to it. Bottom of the postings typically has restrictions noted (for example, only current USN, USA, USMC, etc employees may apply). It can be even more specific to a command (NAVSEA, MARCORSYSCOM, etc.)
Old 20 November 2013, 16:53
Been There Done That

The supervisor called me yesterday to confirm my interest, which I did. My info is now being sent up to AFPC and OPM for background review. They don't have anyone "already selected". There is nobody with my background applying, and no 20 year old kids being considered. As long as the OPM folks come back with a positive background, I'll be asked to complete the remainder of the selection process (PAT, physical, clearance, etc.) Takes up to 80 days for a response, but he told me to call him in 2-3 weeks to check on the status. I don't see any issues, so maybe by the end of the year, January time frame I'll be working again.
Old 22 November 2013, 05:42
Confirmed User

http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hm/use/index.aspx
You can use one of the three
-Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
-30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans
-Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA)
get a VRA letter and/or VA letter

after applyong online at usajobs, THEN then go to http://www.fedshirevets.gov/AgencyDirectory/index.aspx and email your resume and one of the appointing letters to the POC listed.

the "experts" at jobzone and corporategray also mentioned applying under Competitive Appointments and Merit and open to all too. More broadening.
Old 22 November 2013, 05:54
Confirmed User

usajobs don't include many other jobs.

TVA
PO since they are self-reliant and often don't get tax dollars for their operations.
DIA has been often in usajobs but not (or rarely) NSA, NGA, CIA, and a few other alphabet agencies. (NRO-personnel are detailed from CIA and Air Force)
check http://intelligence.gov/how-to-apply/career-search.html

www.indeed.com often included most of the above...
Old 22 November 2013, 18:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
The supervisor called me yesterday to confirm my interest, which I did. My info is now being sent up to AFPC and OPM for background review. They don't have anyone "already selected". There is nobody with my background applying, and no 20 year old kids being considered. As long as the OPM folks come back with a positive background, I'll be asked to complete the remainder of the selection process (PAT, physical, clearance, etc.) Takes up to 80 days for a response, but he told me to call him in 2-3 weeks to check on the status. I don't see any issues, so maybe by the end of the year, January time frame I'll be working again.
Awesome!

Please keep us apprised!

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation." -Me

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me

Our new posting rules