SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 25 April 2018, 17:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
I surprised they are getting 24 miles on 1 watt of output. Must have a tailwind. Looks pretty promising though. Any thoughts on contention within the 900 band? Probably pretty noisy in a city.
That was their best case scenario in testing. Real world you're looking at a few miles on average I'm guessing. I believe that using units as retrans radios will help out a lot with LOS issues.

The Gotenna Pro has a 5w system with VHF and UHF capabilities but $499 per unit is a bit pricey. There comes a point where the utility and price of sending a text message with coordinates just doesn't make sense. At some point you're better off just buying a Rino and calling it a day.

We are going to test and use these out West where there is no signal interference, no cell towers etc. Even if there are cell towers the unit works as a portable charger for cell phones so it is dual use for us.

Last edited by Shark0311; 25 April 2018 at 17:48.
Old 25 April 2018, 17:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
That was their best case scenario in testing. Real world you're looking at a few miles on average I'm guessing. I believe that using units as retrans radios will help out a lot with LOS issues.

The Gotenna Pro has a 5w system with VHF and UHF capabilities but $499 per unit is a bit pricey. There comes a point where the utility and price of sending a text message with coordinates just doesn't make sense. At some point you're better off just buying a Rino and calling it a day.
I'm seriously considering these for use in mountains for hunting (and just in case at home). They will only get better.
Old 25 April 2018, 17:55
Been There Done That

We are testing a couple of units on a bear hunt in AZ in May. Mesh capabilities are not yet enabled but I'll let you know how the line of sight works.
Old 25 April 2018, 19:22
Confirmed User

I'm also curious to environmental protection. I don't see any water resistance/proofing claims or operating temps. Ziplock item for sure!

Our new posting rules