Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 9 May 2018, 23:07
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Let me count the ways:

I was without earplugs and about 10 feet to the side of a MON-100 when it detonated;

I was inside of a steel tube about 15 feet away from a large 3 phase 450 volt breaker when it exploded out of its cabinet due to being shut out of phase;

I was inside of a steel tube about 5 feet from a running diesel engine the size of a large water buffalo when it blew apart due to 40 degree seawater pouring into its exhaust manifold;

I was in the same small room with a 4500 psi air pipe that blew the stem and packing out of a valve the way a shotgun spits out a slug;

I was about 3 feet behind a guy whose wedding ring shorted out and exploded a 2000 volt power supply vacuum tube;

I've had at least 5 concussions I am aware of;

My ears ring constantly even though I never was an infantryman and never tried to act like one;

My memory has completely gone to crap; and

I've been sleeping about 5 hours per night for 25 years.

Nope, VA, nothing to see here, just move along like always.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 May 2018, 04:54
Authorized Personnel

I was way too close to a 500 pounder that I detonated, I lost all hearing for a full day.

We never wore ear protection for anything and I don't believe that I would if I had the chance to do it over again. Young and dumb, but the job came first.
Old 11 May 2018, 18:08
Confirmed User

I would not read too much in to this study; the data in the matter is presently conflicted. Furthermore the documentation used for this study did not allow them to quantify the grade or even number of concussions sustained by the subjects. That is not an insignificant drawback.

Cohort studies are also not the strongest form of evidence.
Old 11 May 2018, 18:45
Been There Done That

This is the exact reason that I was such a advocate of the Blast Gauge program that DOD dumped. Science is showing that low level repetitive exposures can cause problems.
Old 11 May 2018, 20:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
You fuckers have no sense of humor.
I said almost verbatim the same thing in a VA meeting today.

Examiner: "When did you first experience memory loss?"

Me: "I can't remember, Ma'am."

*Crickets*

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 May 2018, 21:58
Navigating

TBI turned into super low Testosterone for me. Since 2006(ish, I think) no matter how much I hit the weight room I never as able to put on size like I use to be able to. I always attested it to not working hard enough. Long story short, my pituitary gland was screwed up from one blast or another. Doc said shooting mortars over and over right by my head probably didnít help. My levels were in the 160ish-200ish. Since injecting testosterone my motivation is back and I can add mass and strength.

Get checked out. VA, from my understanding, does not give ratings for low testosterone. Canít find anyone that has related low testosterone to TBI, rating wise anyways.
Old 11 May 2018, 23:28
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
TBI turned into super low Testosterone for me. Since 2006(ish, I think) no matter how much I hit the weight room I never as able to put on size like I use to be able to. I always attested it to not working hard enough. Long story short, my pituitary gland was screwed up from one blast or another. Doc said shooting mortars over and over right by my head probably didnít help. My levels were in the 160ish-200ish. Since injecting testosterone my motivation is back and I can add mass and strength.

Get checked out. VA, from my understanding, does not give ratings for low testosterone. Canít find anyone that has related low testosterone to TBI, rating wise anyways.
You and me both. I suspect that's where my low levels came from.

The VA can now prescribe TRT. I asked for it at my last meeting and am going to continue pushing that issue.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 May 2018, 23:51
Been There Done That

As the #1 guy in the door (hence my call sign) in the days we were about 1-3 meter to the side of the breeching charges (your choice depending on the target) and being inside the rooms when the charges and bangs went off without any types of shields...and all of the anti-malaria pills. Now I know why I have ADD and so intense and hard on people.
Old 12 May 2018, 08:43
incurs freedom

Related and Interesting article about NED; Neuro Endocrine Dysfunction related to TBI/mTBI.

Dispite what you Gents are experiencing via the VA, This is well established, though obviously may not be well disseminated.

Under CORRESPONDENCE at end of article: Theres A. West, DNP, APN, BC, Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, 1335 East West Highway, 6th floor, Silver Spring, MD 20910; therese.a.west.ctr@mail.mil

Found here: https://www.mdedge.com/jfponline/art...when-screen-it

That page above asked me to sign in as I went back thru it, So PDF of it here:PDF

One of the key algorhythms in the paper/article:

Last edited by litepath; 12 May 2018 at 08:48.
Old 12 May 2018, 09:31
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
You and me both. I suspect that's where my low levels came from.

The VA can now prescribe TRT. I asked for it at my last meeting and am going to continue pushing that issue.
Polypro and I had a discussion about TRT here if youíre interested.

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=130190&page=6&highlight=Testoster one
Old 12 May 2018, 12:41
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Related and Interesting article about NED; Neuro Endocrine Dysfunction related to TBI/mTBI.

Dispite what you Gents are experiencing via the VA, This is well established, though obviously may not be well disseminated.

Under CORRESPONDENCE at end of article: Theres A. West, DNP, APN, BC, Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, 1335 East West Highway, 6th floor, Silver Spring, MD 20910; therese.a.west.ctr@mail.mil

Found here: https://www.mdedge.com/jfponline/art...when-screen-it

That page above asked me to sign in as I went back thru it, So PDF of it here:PDF

One of the key algorhythms in the paper/article:

I had those symptoms, got tested by an endocrinologist, placed on TRT and "feel" like a new machine. This has been started in the past 6 weeks; and it's making all the difference.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 12 May 2018, 14:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
You fuckers have no sense of humor.
It was funny but I forgot to tell you I laughed.

We are a bunch of old fucks here. This week I've learned that the Navy poisoned me to keep me from getting Malaria and that the headers I took off piers and boats account for most of my old-age symptoms.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 May 2018, 19:12
Been There Done That

If you think about every blast you've been exposed to as a concussive blow think about how many in 10,20,25 year career.

I swear I saw an article about an NSW operator committing suicide, his brain was studied and found to have CTE. 10 yrs of service estimated 85,000 concussive blows.
Old 14 May 2018, 12:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I've had at least 5 concussions I am aware of;

My ears ring constantly even though I never was an infantryman and never tried to act like one;

My memory has completely gone to crap; and

I've been sleeping about 5 hours per night for 25 years.

Nope, VA, nothing to see here, just move along like always.
Yep. I have had a few concussions; I have lost time not knowing where I was. All to be told to shrug it off; it's one of those things, it happens.
Old 16 May 2018, 17:30
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
I had those symptoms, got tested by an endocrinologist, placed on TRT and "feel" like a new machine. This has been started in the past 6 weeks; and it's making all the difference.
Good for you, makes a world of difference.

Our new posting rules