SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 28 April 2018, 23:38
Been There Done That

Any Mountain Ranger Association Members here?

I'm a card carrying member. Only get down that way once in awhile to visit a few Granchildren in that area.

They put on some good shows. Open Houses, Critter Cookouts. I made the very first critter cookout, got an old photo somewhere. Lots of RHOF guys in that pic.

I still get USMRA meeting notes and check the message board occasionally on their website.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 April 2018, 00:00
Been There Done That

Was just looking through the MRA website roster and saw SFC O'Rear. LOL!!!
Old 29 April 2018, 00:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Was just looking through the MRA website roster and saw SFC O'Rear. LOL!!!
Big Dave, err Little Dave. That Muldoon can climb like a Mountain Goat.

Old 29 April 2018, 00:25
Sound off for equipment check!

Im a member and was at the Open House today w/ three grandkids. Enjoyed the displays, Rangers In Action demo, etc., and seeing some old friends again. Great community turnout, as always.

Very professionally executed. BZ, 5th RTB.

And the Critter Cookout continues to exemplify the Truth that Rangers Lead The Way...All The Way! Great job, guys!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 29 April 2018, 00:35
Been There Done That

I was in A Co there 91-95. Had some helluva good NCO's there then. Reluctant to throw out any names.

I tried to go back after a 1SG stint in the 3/327. Joe Mattison was CSM. I was already in transition and gave him a courtesy call. He said " fuck, I just had 5 guys come out on the E8 list and all my 1SG slots are full". I called CSM Nethkin at RTB and he rerouted me there. What a clusterfuck PCS. My household goods went one way, I was going the other. I can navigate that National Forest in my sleep. A tour there really honed those skills.

Old 29 April 2018, 00:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Big Dave, err Little Dave. That Muldoon can climb like a Mountain Goat.
Yea, I think I told you via PM a couple years ago about the time a big ass tree (not a branch, a twig or a f'ing pine cone)came crashing down at the ORP following actions on the obj. Thank God we were wearing helmets as it glanced my helmet, hit my ruck and knocked the living shit out of me. A few other studs gathered around while I was sorting out what happened when O'Rear literally jumped on me and started shaking me screaming, "Are you okay Ranger?? Ranger get on your feet! Blah, blah, fucking blah." I stood up dropped my weapon and was ready to beat that fuckers ass but I saw three of him and another RI came over told me to drop my ruck and walk around a bit. Cleared my head, led everyone to the PB, got it established etc. and got a "GO".
Old 29 April 2018, 00:49
Been There Done That

I could have well been in that group. I walked many patrols with Dave.

At the time each Company had 2 Plt's. Divided in 2 sections:
RM1R20N = Mountaineering Tm
RM1R15N = Patrolling Tm

When the Company was well stocked it made for good time management.

Short handed...We just called it the 35 Tm. Everyone was certified in both areas and worked a helluva lot.

Dave & Greg Baker (big, tall, goofy country fuck with a LRSD background) got pulled from A Co to run the Rope Shack/Lower Mountaineering.

Old 29 April 2018, 11:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
I could have well been in that group. I walked many patrols with Dave.
We were class 7-00 so this would have been late May-early June 2000. Oakes was still the Marine RI in mountains at the time. I also saw Kenny Urquhart's name on the MRA roster. I was his PltSgt in OIF I, solid dude. He retired recently as a Master Guns at 2nd Recon Bn.

ETA:Correction- Q is currently the 26th MEU OpsChf.
Old 29 April 2018, 14:11
Administrator

I am a member. SuperDave Manges is vey active and goes to the Critter Cookout just about every year.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 29 April 2018, 14:23
Old Scroll

Also a member, but have never gone to one of their reunions. One of these days, especially now that I'm only a couple of hours away...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 29 April 2018, 14:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I am a member. SuperDave Manges is vey active and goes to the Critter Cookout just about every year.
There was a Manges there in my day, but a SSG though. Another Company.

Old 29 April 2018, 15:24
Administrator

Quote:
There was a Manges there in my day, but a SSG though. Another Company.
He was there 85-90 or 91 as an EM if memory serves. Was 1/75 80-85 and is an UF vet.

Dave became an ossifer after E7, then retired as a Major. Lives in Beaver Creek OH with his four Corvettes. He is on here.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 29 April 2018, 15:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
He was there 85-90 or 91 as an EM if memory serves. Was 1/75 80-85 and is an UF vet.

Dave became an ossifer after E7, then retired as a Major. Lives in Beaver Creek OH with his four Corvettes. He is on here.
Roger, may have overlapped? The "O" part threw me off.

Old 29 April 2018, 15:50
Old Scroll

1SG John Mott visited the Critter Cookout this year, stopping over at my place on the way down from Vermont. He is a RVN Americal vet, was my 1st platoon sergeant back when I was 1st-termer scum, and later became the 1SG for Mountain Phase. He retired as a CSM.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 May 2018, 15:52
Been There Done That

Mott was a squared away SFC when I remember him. Glad you guys were able to connect. I believe a Ms Sherry Klein , just across the river from me goes to those critter cookouts. I have never met the gal.
Old 20 May 2018, 16:34
Been There Done That

Yes, I am a member and like DH said I try and make the cook out every year...this year it was trumped by the OUF reunion

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here

Our new posting rules