SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 5 January 2016, 03:13
Authorized Personnel

No deer?

The frustration of having to deal with the VA is worth a claim in itself.
Old 9 January 2016, 17:28
Been There Done That

My attorney brother contacted me late yesterday and informed me an attorney at his firm offered to have her husband, an attorney at another Wash.D.C. firm, contact us about the VA. After a series of phone calls among the three of us, I learned this attorney is VA board certified and represents veterans pro bono. He stated he will hit the VA with a FOIA demand for the appeals records including a transcript of the expert medical opinion, give them two 30 day deadlines, then file suit, which he stated the VA will want to avoid. It is his intention to fast track an appeal. He also stated he will pursue the VA directly on his law firm letterhead and bypass the VA forms. Based on the 50 pages of evidence I have so far, he thinks I have a good claim. The kicker - his wife, the attorney in my brother's firm, works for former Senator Bob Dole, who knows VA Sec'y. McDonald personally. She e-mailed my brother and myself to state we should let her know if we need her help.
Sounds good so far.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 10 January 2016, 01:02
Did...did I do that?

Excellent news, Lefty. Glad you've got some good connections.

Kinda sucks that you have to resort to that, but I'm glad you've got them.
Old 15 January 2016, 14:24
Darwin Award Presenter

Read your entire posting. The first impression I got was (The VA sucks) like we don't already know that. The second was (you are one tough bastard!) Breaking one's sternum takes some real skill, and as you can attest hurts like....... Wishing you all the best. We are all behind you brother. Keep up the good fight.

Prayers inbound.

Medic
Old 12 May 2016, 15:10
Been There Done That

An update - after a couple of threat notes from the attorney, the VA complied with the FOIA request and provided the expert medical opinion on the similar case. VA has also (finally) acknowledged the attorney as my official rep. Attorney also found some published medical opinions stating there is a causal link between Agent Orange and salivary gland cancer.
More news when it happens, but it likely will be months or years, given the glacial pace at the VA.

Old 12 May 2016, 15:35
Another pool cleaner

Good to hear from you Lefty.

Keep at it.
Old 12 May 2016, 16:22
Holy Diver

Good luck, sir.
Old 12 May 2016, 17:57
shiver me timbers

Best of luck to you, sir. I have some med issues currently and reading this has been uplifting. Best wishes to you for as full and complete a recovery as possible.
Old 20 May 2018, 17:33
Been There Done That

As summarized in this thread I am fighting an Agent Orange claim with the help of a Wash. DC attorney. There has been a large amount of documentation filed with the appeal.

According to my attorney, the VA has an extensive data base on Agent Orange and related illnesses but (of course) will not disclose any data without clinical study requests from medical authorities, citing "personal information disclosure issues". His plan is to file an FOIA claim, assuming the VA will refuse it, then file suit. He has, he says, a dozen lawsuits against the VA on Agent Orange claims currently in process.

I am posting here and on other sites to request any VN veteran who has a diagnosis of clear cell carcinoma of any type to notify me or my attorney to add to weight to our (and theirs, if any) claim against the VA.

I can be contacted here or anyone may contact my attorney. I ask that you PM me and I will respond as timely as possible.

I thank you all in advance.

Old 20 May 2018, 19:32
Authorized Personnel

I know the frustration you have with the VA.

My shit was Squamous Cell Carcinoma and like you, I can do voice overs for Elmer.

I have talked to 2 service officers and the head of Oncology at Bay Pines VA and all told me to forget about trying to get my data on the Agent Orange data base. Their reasoning (other than being lazy), was I had nothing to gain as I am already drawing max disability. Updating Agent Orange info didn't seem to be on anyone's list.

I know this does nothing to help.

Fuck cancer and the assholes who would rather see us die off before the VA does the right thing.
Old 20 May 2018, 20:39
The atomic zit

I just finished building a house for a Vietnam veteran. He is numb from the knees down. I spoke to his wife enough to figure out that it is service related and the VA says it has nothing to do with his exposure to agent orange.

v/r

S
Old 20 May 2018, 21:12
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
As summarized in this thread I am fighting an Agent Orange claim with the help of a Wash. DC attorney. There has been a large amount of documentation filed with the appeal.

According to my attorney, the VA has an extensive data base on Agent Orange and related illnesses but (of course) will not disclose any data without clinical study requests from medical authorities, citing "personal information disclosure issues". His plan is to file an FOIA claim, assuming the VA will refuse it, then file suit. He has, he says, a dozen lawsuits against the VA on Agent Orange claims currently in process.

I am posting here and on other sites to request any VN veteran who has a diagnosis of clear cell carcinoma of any type to notify me or my attorney to add to weight to our (and theirs, if any) claim against the VA.

I can be contacted here or anyone may contact my attorney. I ask that you PM me and I will respond as timely as possible.

I thank you all in advance.

Do you have this posted on SM/Social Media? If so, let us know here. SM is a great way to spread further than our simple reach.

Our new posting rules