SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 22 May 2018, 06:04
Confirmed User

I just ran my PWS 300BLK 9.75 barreled SBR this weekend. I am no expert, I just followed guidelines from the PWS. PWS has you lube the BCG in 4 spots, besides the bolt lugs etc. And their gas tube has vent holes in it to lessen the gas/carbon fouling in chamber. I ran 250 rounds 110 gr, then 200 rounds suppressed(Sig 220gr) with SIG SRD72 QD, and this was significantly cleaner than my DI upper (PSA 300BLK 8.5 inch, non adjustable, nothing high end).
Here are some pics of PWS. Like I said, no expert here, just showing what mine did. I think the DI in my situation was getting dirtier due to more lube and non adjustable gas block. PWS is non adjustable , but has vents in gas tube..
But, both ran with no issues. And real damn quiet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Fouling.jpg (29.5 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg BCG buildup.jpg (44.2 KB, 336 views)
Old 22 May 2018, 09:12
Unemployed Stunt Double

PWS are all piston, correct? Meaning no gas tube?
Old 22 May 2018, 11:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Yes. But you still get gas shot back down the barrel.
And PWS is a long stroke pidton, like an AK. They vent excess gass off on their piston tube.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Yes. But you still get gas shot back down the barrel.
And PWS is a long stroke pidton, like an AK. They vent excess gass off on their piston tube.
That's right, I forgot that PWS are blowback pistons. I've heard good things about their uppers. I have a PWS aftermarket G17 slide that is a good product.
Old 30 June 2018, 23:22
Navigating

Streamline

I got some items to finish out my rifle. I replaced my shot-out barrel with a 10.5 Noveske SS barrel, SuplativeArms Bleed-off adjustable gas block, and the 12” Midwest suppressor ready rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6D6DC75E-0828-43DC-B0F9-0595613DC201.jpeg (75.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpeg 3B90D1D7-3B71-4071-B2ED-7957E1026048.jpeg (72.3 KB, 284 views)

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 1 July 2018, 11:51

^ I really like that look. The whole suppressor-inside-the-rail thing has grown on me as of late. Really nice rig you got there.
Old 1 July 2018, 14:09
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
^ I really like that look. The whole suppressor-inside-the-rail thing has grown on me as of late. Really nice rig you got there.
Thanks, the suppressor needs a respray of Cerakote. Short Action Customs is just down the road from me, they Cerakote suppressors if anyone’s ever interested.

Old 1 July 2018, 18:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
they did a short run of gas systems. I've got a 16" in .223 Wylde that shoots really well.

I also know several who have various pistons of theirs and they all perform well, and very accurately.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:39
Navigating

Finished

Just waiting for the front sight to come in. I know the Magpul angled forgrip is backwards, I like what it offers more this way. I was thinking of getting some type of heat shield sheet to put between the handguard and suppressor. Just not real familiar with a good product to use. I’m a little hesitant to use anything like that, heat shield stuff is expensive, and I’m not 100% sure it would help. Would it slow down cooling? Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6417A7E8-0D42-4296-9C4A-8529568DB0CF.jpg (50.1 KB, 190 views)

Old 12 July 2018, 05:45
Unemployed Stunt Double

Heat shields usually slow cooling a bit. I don't think you could put a heat shield on with that set-up (not enough space), you'd probably need a shorter rail. I would just avoid doing mag dumps, and keep an oven mitt handy.
Old 12 July 2018, 06:03
Navigating

Quote:
I would just avoid doing mag dumps, and keep an oven mitt handy.
But..they’re fun..? I’ll throw on the asbestos glove from the 240 BII prior to any and all rifle training..

I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13575-Adhesive-Backed-Barrier/dp/B00029KC2K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531389548&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=heatshield+produ cts&dpPl=1&dpID=51HXzMZb-QL&ref=plSrch

It might be more of a pain in the ass than it would be good. I wish they made it in Sharky’s “SWAT rock” multicam..

Old 12 July 2018, 07:23
Unemployed Stunt Double

My recommendations...I would only use a product designed specifically to be a suppressor heat shield. Leave the "Backyard Bubba Youtube Firearms Mods" to the Backyard Bubbas.

Make sure that any plastic/polymer/rubber/non-metallic parts are to the rear of the can. If there are non-metallic parts close to the can, make sure there is some standoff. Ensure no metal parts other than the muzzle threads are in contact with the suppressor.

Looking at your set-up, my concern is the flashlight, as I think that model has some rubber and plastic components.
Old 12 July 2018, 09:16
Administrator

Quote:
Looking at your set-up, my concern is the flashlight, as I think that model has some rubber and plastic components.
I was thinking the same. That light is gonna get pretty warm.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 July 2018, 14:11
BTDT

Cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Just waiting for the front sight to come in. I know the Magpul angled forgrip is backwards, I like what it offers more this way. I was thinking of getting some type of heat shield sheet to put between the handguard and suppressor. Just not real familiar with a good product to use. I’m a little hesitant to use anything like that, heat shield stuff is expensive, and I’m not 100% sure it would help. Would it slow down cooling? Any suggestions?
What comes to mind; is, motorcycle header wrap on that portion of the can that is going to be under your hand.

Would it slow down cooling? I would suspect it would; but, you won't burn the fuck out of your hand either:)

Good shooting
Old 12 July 2018, 16:40

Those Bowers silicone suppressor wraps can be cut to length and handle the heat pretty well. Maybe they wouldn't fit under the handguard, but having them on the exposed parts of the can could mitigate burning the shit out of yourself/others during transitions and other tight movements. They're also pretty cheap, considering some of my fabric covers run about $75.

http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/g...lencer-covers/

Old 12 July 2018, 16:47
Administrator

There is an experimental heat dissipating foam that is currently being tested by the USMC that will likely be commercially available in the near future, it it's not already. You can run several mags through on full auto and grab the suppressor (wrapped in the foam) with your bare hands. Pretty cool stuff.

-ZZ Top
Old 12 July 2018, 18:43
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
There is an experimental heat dissipating foam that is currently being tested by the USMC that will likely be commercially available in the near future, it it's not already. You can run several mags through on full auto and grab the suppressor (wrapped in the foam) with your bare hands. Pretty cool stuff.
And a shitload of Marines got full-thickness burns to their hands during testing...
Old 12 July 2018, 18:46
Make a desert and call it peace.

You can look into the lizard skin heat control stuff as well as other lightweight/thin heat barriers from the auto racing field.

I'd insulate the light, and try to keep as much space open for the can to radiate heat as possible. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 12 July 2018, 20:38
Unemployed Stunt Double

Magpul makes a suppressor cover, but I don't think it will fit under that rail. It's on their website.
Old 12 July 2018, 22:03
Administrator

Quote:
And a shitload of Marines got full-thickness burns to their hands during testing...

Hadn't t heard that. Seems like if it was still that hot you might figure that out prior to grabbing it. But, they are Marines soooo....

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules