SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 24 May 2018, 07:46
BTDT

External Storage

Just one of many options for a portable drive (USB Thumb, OEM External, etc...).

I built my own using the following two items, and it has been rock solid for 6 months now:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-480GB...k+SSD+Plus+480

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Extern...+SSD+Enclosure

On Windows 10 (yuck) it's even faster w/UASP but on Win7 I average about (Edit:)150MB/s

I like that if you needed to do advanced data recovery on it, you can just pop it out and install it as a regular drive in a desktop using SATA - instead of having to destroy a Mfg's case to rip it off the controller board.

Last edited by Polypro; 25 May 2018 at 07:58.
Old 24 May 2018, 08:43
The Sagacious One

I ordered a new desktop with an additional 2Tb hard drive. It came in a box and not installed????

I opened the box and there were no more bays. I put it in an external drive and use it for my one drive sync location. It let me have three locations for my data, one off sight, the external drive as a removable and I back that cartridge that I copy to and keep in a safe deposit box. (Although not as often as I should).

I have one using SSD's similar to yours for my laptop, but haven't really needed it as of yet and I already carry too much shit with me as it is.

So how do you use yours? As a back up or extension of the box?
Old 24 May 2018, 09:29
True Origin Not Known

You fvckers are too smart for me. Just sayin'.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 24 May 2018, 13:47
Divides by zero

Whats the advantage over just buying a regular external drive?
Just wondering.
Old 24 May 2018, 14:05
Old Scroll

The HD that Poly linked is a solid state drive, so there's no moving parts to break ~ greatly increased longevity and durability (My stays-in-the-backpack runaround Seagate 1TB portable USB drive is starting to beep slowly when it's plugged in. That's not good, and likely a sign of an impending failure. Luckily it contains only books, music, and movies, but nonetheless I'll be backing it up to a new drive this weekend, even though all the source data is on my 2TB NAS set up on RAID 1). If I had the Solid State Drive (SSD) that Poly mentioned, I'd likely not be writing this post.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 May 2018, 14:45
Divides by zero

I get that. Solid State would be better for bumping around all day.

There are SSD externals on the market already, so I was wondering if he was doing something homemade for security reasons or something like that.
Old 25 May 2018, 07:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

So how do you use yours? As a back up or extension of the box?
I needed a new recording drive for TV (my home theater system is a computer). I didn't feel like unplugging the 37 cables and cracking the case to install a bigger drive.
Old 25 May 2018, 07:28
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapstash View Post
I get that. Solid State would be better for bumping around all day.

There are SSD externals on the market already, so I was wondering if he was doing something homemade for security reasons or something like that.
A purpose built external SSD (or spinner) is usually in a sealed case, sometimes permanently attached to it's controller board (SATA to USB Bridge). In an emergency, you have a lot more options for recovery through the SATA controller, than the USB interface (even on Linux IIRC, I'm OSX illerate though). You'd have to physically destroy the case (usually) and pry the drive off the controller if you get an OEM External. My way you just slide it out of the enclosure and plug it into SATA Data and Power and you're off to the races. And Raw drives are usually a bit cheaper, so upgrades are less expensive and you can re-purpose the original drive.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:09
Calix Meus Inebrians

Damn...SSDs are really price friendly right now. Going to have to snag one up for a laptop I plan to buy in a few months.

Good stuff, Poly.

Our new posting rules