SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 26 May 2018, 16:31
I really don't care

VA to use foster homes Vets

I see good and bad here. But if the VA does not have the room what else can they do?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...315_story.html
Old 27 May 2018, 12:06
Been There Done That

The patient is in his 70s and suffers from diabetes - which is Agent Orange presumptive. Yet the article does not mention service connection or anything about Vietnam service (which normally is mentioned in these types of narratives). So the first question to ask: Is this a service connected disability?

Over half the patients enrolled in the VA healthcare system were neither wounded in combat nor injured in service.

There is a whole lot of disinformation out there to make the VA appear to be a caring, economical solution to our obligation to care for veterans. In reality, the VA is appropriated more in funds each year than the VA can spend. The VA holds billions of dollars in unobligated funding.

I would like to see a more complete reporting before deciding if this is good or bad. Despite a dwindling veteran population, the VA will spend more and more doing less and less.
Old 27 May 2018, 12:25
Authorized Personnel

A suggested day trip; visit a VA nursing facility. These places are normally the vets last stop before dying. While some are places that one would be happy with, many are a stinking nightmare. My uncle was in one in Kokomo Indiana and it was straight out of 'One flew over the Cuckoo's nest'.

As stated by FKL, it's not the money, somebody needs their ass kicked.
Old 27 May 2018, 19:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
A suggested day trip; visit a VA nursing facility. These places are normally the vets last stop before dying. While some are places that one would be happy with, many are a stinking nightmare. My uncle was in one in Kokomo Indiana and it was straight out of 'One flew over the Cuckoo's nest'.

As stated by FKL, it's not the money, somebody needs their ass kicked.

That's a good idea. The spouse & I will look for the nearest one. Personally, I would rather wither away at home with a trusting caregiver myself. But it so damn hard to find a trusty, qualified caregiver. So many cases of elderly abuse, stealing meds etc.

I would make damn sure they're vetted and a background check run.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 27 May 2018, 21:40
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That's a good idea. The spouse & I will look for the nearest one.
Agreed!

I have one 25 mins from me in the city where my mother lives - Boulder City NV.

I am having a BBQ with mom tomorrow as we watch the Vegas Golden Knights compete for the Stanley Cup.

I am going to call them right now and see if they have a need for any donations or items I have that we usually donate to church.

ETA: Called and they said yes they accept donations but call tomorrow and ask for Social Services.

Last edited by Sigi; 27 May 2018 at 21:59. Reason: ETA
Old 2 June 2018, 23:06
Moving Target

I-think-its-a-good-idea.I-want-to-live-with-the-Trumps.
Old 3 June 2018, 18:16

If anyone is in the South Louisiana area, The Southeast Louisiana Veteran's Home in Reserve is a very nice facility.

Our new posting rules