Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 1 June 2018, 13:02
Confirmed User

New M4 malfunction results in new...

function check procedures and new immediate action drill(C-SPORTS). I don't believe soldiersystems.net is Gannett owned, so I'm posting the link. Most links go through Gannett that I found unfortunately.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/29...tor-lever-tdp/

So what happened was, some troop at Ft. Knox had an ND/AD when he squeezed the trigger while the selector lever was halfway between "semi" and "auto". The rifle did not fire when he squeezed the trigger, but it did when he moved the selector further. This carbine was re-fit through the Army's "product improvement prograp(PIP), which converted the burst function to auto.

They're saying that it could be from the dimensions of the lower itself that was originally designed for the burst function, but I call bullsh*t. I'm thinking the retrofitter guy/gal installed the wrong part to setup for full auto. Probably mixed up the disconnector is what I think.

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-KJV
Old 1 June 2018, 13:36
Unemployed Stunt Double

It's dropping the hammer without the trigger being actuated. I have seen this malf in multiple weapons systems in the past when parts are out of spec.
Old 1 June 2018, 17:21
Old and Broke

I read that they thought it was a combination of multiple parts at the lower end of the specifications.

Just tighten the specs.
Old 1 June 2018, 17:40
Unemployed Stunt Double

Tightening up the specs may not get it done. Problem is that it is the result of a re-fit on older weapons, changing out the 3-round burst for auto, and putting in an ambi selector. They may need to design entirely new parts. They assumed it would be plug-and-play, all MILSPEC...in the simplest terms, MILSPEC is specific to a weapons series and generation. They are taking newer generation parts from a new series and dropping them into older weapons.
Old 2 June 2018, 09:46
0311/8651

Umm the lowest bidder
Old 3 June 2018, 07:59
Bitter old man.

Time for new lowers? You can only retro-fit so many times.
Old 6 June 2018, 07:50
Confirmed User

You can install a new auto trigger subassembly(w/spring), new auto disconnector, and new hammer subassembly(w/spring) and it should work just fine. This new ambi-selector may be the problem. Of course, if you do not replace all of those components and mix up the subassemblies, or use the thin disconnector(the other one, not the gooseneck), it would possibly cause this failure.

I haven't even seen these new ambi-selectors, so I can't comment on that, but dollars to doughnuts says the repairer jacked up this weapon, and other weapons up by using the wrong parts.

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."-KJV
Old 6 June 2018, 09:28
Unemployed Stunt Double

So...apparently now that weapons are being inspected all across the inventory, they are finding this issue in models that haven't been refitted. From the widespread anecdotal reporting, looks like CAP MARINE nailed this one.

Unit level armorers are very busy right now...

Our new posting rules