SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 12 June 2018, 12:17
BTDT

RMRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
I shot the local Action Pistol course the last weekend in May with my G-19 and RMR. 14th out of ~55 shooters.

I was using an outside the waistband 2A holster and mag pouch under a cover garment. I'll take it, considering most everyone else was running race guns and holsters.

I ended up 4th in accuracy(Points down), though the three guys above me were significantly slower.

It was the first match I have shot with the RMR and G-19. If I get to another match this year, maybe I can increase the speed a bit. Definitely helps to wait until full presentation to look for the dot.
https://youtu.be/aHOHoKWjuPE

1 of 4 stages, I shot this past weekend @ a local IDPA match. I was using my carry G29 w/RMR. I'm not shooting my nuclear carry loads. Bumped down from a 23lb recoil spring to a 15lb. Placed 5th Overall w/58 shooters. Least points down (3).

Still things I'm learning that are a little different than w/irons. Like, shooting weak hand & lining up w/your weak side eye. Or having to shoot a very tight angle & the pistol is @ or near a 90 degree angle around some form of cover.

Good shooting

Last edited by glockcqc; 12 June 2018 at 12:22. Reason: video attachment
Old 12 June 2018, 14:55
Animal Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Impressive, do you have an FFL to do it for other people?
Sorry, it wasn't my work. I just shelled out the cash for it. Local shop in my AO did it for me. They are an Agency Arms dealer and have a nice machine shop. They did my RMR cut on my G35 a few years ago.
Old 12 June 2018, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
My latest include stippling, undercut, finger groves removed, Agency Arms magwell, Agency Arms trigger and some trigger polishing.
I've used a soldering iron to stipple, holes were too big, what did you use?
Old 12 June 2018, 17:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
https://youtu.be/aHOHoKWjuPE

1 of 4 stages, I shot this past weekend @ a local IDPA match. I was using my carry G29 w/RMR. I'm not shooting my nuclear carry loads. Bumped down from a 23lb recoil spring to a 15lb. Placed 5th Overall w/58 shooters. Least points down (3).

Still things I'm learning that are a little different than w/irons. Like, shooting weak hand & lining up w/your weak side eye. Or having to shoot a very tight angle & the pistol is @ or near a 90 degree angle around some form of cover.

Good shooting
I pay attention when you post the videos. Great stuff.

I am trying not to create any training scars/bad habits with the "Action Pistol", IDPA was a bit better as it penalized dumb stuff.

I need to dry fire more. I've been trying to get in a few(50 or more) reps every night.
Old 12 June 2018, 17:58
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:

I am trying not to create any training scars/bad habits with the "Action Pistol", IDPA was a bit better as it penalized dumb stuff.

I need to dry fire more. I've been trying to get in a few(50 or more) reps every night.
I had missed your post from the other day about the gear you were using.

After watching the glockcqc video. I wonder why a race-holster would make any real difference?

Nice Vid glockcqc!
Old 12 June 2018, 22:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
I wonder why a race-holster would make any real difference?
I can keep my first shot from concealment under 1.5 if I have been practicing. Guys with race rigs are consistently under a second from "beep" to "bang",typically the gun is held by gravity on a peg that is 1/4-1/2" long in the barrel, slight rise and they are sweeping it up, where a carry holster requires you to draw the gun up out of the holster, up 3-5 inches before you can start sweeping it forward. Between the rise and clearing a cover garment you add the .5 second, which in IPSC is a ton of time over the course of a match 6-8 stages (or more) and you are starting with a 3-4 second deficit before the first shot is fired.
Old 12 June 2018, 22:51
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
I can keep my first shot from concealment under 1.5 if I have been practicing. Guys with race rigs are consistently under a second from "beep" to "bang",typically the gun is held by gravity on a peg that is 1/4-1/2" long in the barrel, slight rise and they are sweeping it up, where a carry holster requires you to draw the gun up out of the holster, up 3-5 inches before you can start sweeping it forward. Between the rise and clearing a cover garment you add the .5 second, which in IPSC is a ton of time over the course of a match 6-8 stages (or more) and you are starting with a 3-4 second deficit before the first shot is fired.
Roger. . . .IPSC. . Not sure how a race rig figures into the *P* component of that acronym.

This must be what a certain LTC has been on my case about.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Roger. . . .IPSC. . Not sure how a race rig figures into the *P* component of that acronym.

Yeah, it's a gamer thing more than a "solid tactics and try not to get shot because that shit hurts" thing.
Old 13 June 2018, 07:16
BTDT

IPSC/USPSA

Quote:

Concur; though, what it is now (ie IPSC/USPSA) is not what Jeff Cooper had intended. Essentially, why he left...& why Larry Vickers, Bill Wilson & a couple other guys came up w/IDPA.

But, one can learn some very important "practical" skills in USPSA: planning, positioning, footwork and the importance of time.

Being a master "practical" pistol guy (ie DOD/JSOC, HRT, SWAT, etc) is not going to make you a master USPSA or IDPA shooter. But, being/striving to be a GM/master USPSA/IDPA shooter is going to make you a better "practical" pistol guy.

No intention to hi-jack the thread:)

Good shooting

Last edited by glockcqc; 13 June 2018 at 07:17. Reason: punctuation
Old 13 June 2018, 12:47
BTDT

Pistola

Quote:

Get the "battle scars" thing. USPSA, not uncommon to "minimize" your slide lock lever to almost nothing. As, you never want to do a slide lock reload or w/a high back strap grip, activate the slide lock.

IDPA..can have you do dumb stuff also Really, depends on the people that come up w/the Course of Fire design.

W/a red-dot, you catch ALL that movement that you didn't see w/irons. Dry fire is a good thing.

Good shooting
Old 13 June 2018, 17:27
Policeman Officer

I hate being required to fire while moving backwards. Huge pet peeve of mine.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 13 June 2018, 17:35
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I hate being required to fire while moving backwards. Huge pet peeve of mine.
I've never liked when people shoot automatic weapons at me. Huge pet peeve of mine. On occasion, I've shot back at them while moving backwards. Not my favorite thing, either, but, a good skill to develop and maintain.
Old 13 June 2018, 18:56
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I've never liked when people shoot automatic weapons at me. Huge pet peeve of mine. On occasion, I've shot back at them while moving backwards. Not my favorite thing, either, but, a good skill to develop and maintain.
Point taken.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 13 June 2018, 19:07
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Yes it is I usually do X amount of rounds forward. Mag change and fire while moving backwards.
Old 14 June 2018, 08:03
Animal Tamer

Quote:
I've used a soldering iron to stipple, holes were too big, what did you use?
Nothing. I dropped it off on Thursday and picked it back up on Tuesday. The gun shop did all the work. I looked at several different grip textures before settling on that one. I wanted it less aggressive since its my daily carry rig. Some stippling will quickly wear holes in your clothes. The last time i tried it on my own i burned holes through the grip of a G27.
Old 14 June 2018, 16:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
The last time i tried it on my own i burned holes through the grip of a G27.
That sucks.

As I've said before, I never do myself what I can hire a professional to do correctly.
Old 14 June 2018, 20:45
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
That sucks.

As I've said before, I never do myself what I can hire a professional to do correctly.
My philosophy with home improvement. I'd rather work overtime and pay somebody to do it right and in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 15 June 2018, 09:17
BTDT

RMR

Quote:
It can still be fun; when, you shoot well (HA)

Pro-am matches is where it evens out a little more. COFs looks a lot like some of the steel set-ups you have set up. Limited to 10rds in the mag. So, you can catch them If you can hit the steel & they have 1-2 misses.

Have done that several times, w/my G29 comp/RMR w/a Galco Yaqui holster.

Good shooting
Old 15 June 2018, 09:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
My philosophy with home improvement. I'd rather work overtime and pay somebody to do it right and in a reasonable amount of time.
That's where it originated. I've broken a lot of shit around my house.

Our new posting rules