SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 19 April 2013, 02:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I just got 5k, you want to trade for 1/2 of them?
Sounds like a deal to me. I can have my wife pack a prepaid box next week when she is home or I will be back in Cali in a few weeks.

Just PM me the shipping info and once you get mine return the favor
Old 20 April 2013, 07:47
The Sagacious One

I just found a website called loaddata (dot) com. It had the Alliant American Select loads I was looking for as well many others (tens of thousands) There is an annual access fee of $29.95, but IMHO, with the information I have already garnished from it, it is well worth it.
Old 25 April 2013, 20:03
BTDT

Reloading

Quote:
I just found a website called loaddata (dot) com. It had the Alliant American Select loads I was looking for as well many others (tens of thousands) There is an annual access fee of $29.95, but IMHO, with the information I have already garnished from it, it is well worth it.
...and now you have, some .223 brass stuck in your chamber

Just say'n.

Been reloading for 20 yrs now. There is some REALLY BAD information, on the internet.

The best info, is from shooters...competitive shooters & hunters; word of mouth.

Good shooting
Old 27 April 2013, 00:07

Anyone think this has any chance of making it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/295759-reid-proposes-new-background-check-requirement-for-explosives
Old 27 April 2013, 07:04
Make a desert and call it peace.

All the major powder and some of the component manufacturers have data available for free online. $30 is two hardcopy manuals per yr, they're not updated that often.

Comp rifle shooters have loads that are often specific to their exact setup. Even changing the chambering reamer used can result in annoying problems like popping primers and excessive case wear. BTDT. Successful comp guys generally know exactly where they stand and can knowingly work the margin between a few extra fps and popping primers. 9 times out of ten it's more productive to just spend more time on the range and improve the nut behind the trigger's adjustment. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 27 April 2013, 07:07
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
...and now you have, some .223 brass stuck in your chamber

Just say'n.

Been reloading for 20 yrs now. There is some REALLY BAD information, on the internet.

The best info, is from shooters...competitive shooters & hunters; word of mouth.

Good shooting

Sure, but I got the load I was shooting in my POF from the Winchester website.

Loaddata.com is actually an accumulation of shooters and hunters that share their data along with official sources. The source of the load is listed with each recipe.
Old 28 April 2013, 11:03
BTDT

Reloading

Quote:
Sure, but I got the load I was shooting in my POF from the Winchester website.
Ah,..you mean the Hodgdon Reloading Center.

Always wise to bump their listed cartridge OALs against an actual bullet manufacturer's manual (ie some of them, are incorrect).

Also, their listed max powder loads tend to be significantly over what a bullet manufacturer recommends. Approach w/caution.

Good shooting
Old 28 April 2013, 13:45
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
Ah,..you mean the Hodgdon Reloading Center.

Always wise to bump their listed cartridge OALs against an actual bullet manufacturer's manual (ie some of them, are incorrect).

Also, their listed max powder loads tend to be significantly over what a bullet manufacturer recommends. Approach w/caution.

Good shooting
Point well taken. I am shooting what would be considered a light load in any domain. 22.9 grns of 748 under a 55 grn hornady FMJ.

I normally try to start somewhere mid range or at least back off from the max.
Old 29 April 2013, 19:16
Confirmed User

I prefer using the specific bullet manufacturer's data (like the Hornady manual). Hornady will list what powders they got the most accuracy from, and the COL's are for that particular bullet, not just any bullet in that caliber/grain. Still, I tend to check several manuals, a few reloading threads and websites like Hogdon's, then do like TFG and start mid range. Haven't lost an appendage yet.
Old 30 April 2018, 17:45
Navigating

Frangible .223/5.56

Reloading some 35gr Inceptor frangible bullets. Great rounds for CQ rifle training with steel targets. Make sure you are using at least AR500 steel, though. It WILL pit non-hardened 3/4 steel within 10 yards (I did it). If you use AR500 some very small, sand-size portions of the bullet can make their way back to you, but it's nothing to worry about. The bullet breaks up and losses most its energy. Wear your eye-pro!

Load data in the picture is good (it's from Inceptor), if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading.jpg (32.6 KB, 44 views)

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 1 June 2018, 09:43
On the Extract Bird

I have been loading for 20 years. I have found Dillon to be the best for growing into. I use the Dillon 1050's and XL650's for everything I do. They work great and last a long time. As for reloading components. Go to Graf and Sons and Black Hill Shooting Supplies . I know a couple of companies that do military tear downs from LC and FC. Lyman 49th Edition is good and they also make a book dedicated to the AR.

Our new posting rules