SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 31 December 2014, 21:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

It's pretty good, I especially enjoy when they flash back from their "present" on the show (early 80s) to when they were first starting out together in the states and before they had children.

This series brings to mind an episode of Miami Vice that featured an assimilated KGB illegal who went by the nickname "Surf", played by the character actor who went on to the goofy sitcom Sledge Hammer.

Last edited by Spinner; 31 December 2014 at 21:38.
Old 4 January 2015, 12:51

Allegiance

Whenever cable comes up with something that's fairly novel and has some success, it doesn't take long for the networks to follow suit.

You saw it with all the Mad Men type ripoffs, now comes a new show called Allegiance, which is clearly "inspired" by The Americans.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3581654/

Like they say, there's really nothing new out there, just a bunch of rehashed stuff from the past, with a little Shakespeare thrown in for good measure.
Old 5 January 2015, 00:45
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

Like they say, there's really nothing new out there, just a bunch of rehashed stuff from the past...
Dont worry, the all-gal Ghostbusters is coming soon!
Old 13 January 2015, 07:20
Been There Done That

I am a bit late with this but I just recently bought the series. Am midway into the second season. I concur with all the above here, but has anyone noticed the huge anti- Reagan administration mind set from the Russians and how it may mirror so much of the opinions today of our young adults and how they perceive any Republican administration.
Old 13 January 2015, 09:22
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
... has anyone noticed the huge anti- Reagan administration mind set from the Russians and how it may mirror so much of the opinions today of our young adults and how they perceive any Republican administration.
You can read and understand the genesis of it all in a book written by a former Agency case officer:

http://www.amazon.com/Willing-Accomp.../dp/0983426406

Willing Accomplices: How KGB Covert Influence Agents Created Political Correctness and Destroyed America
Old 14 January 2015, 06:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
You can read and understand the genesis of it all in a book written by a former Agency case officer:

http://www.amazon.com/Willing-Accomp.../dp/0983426406

Willing Accomplices: How KGB Covert Influence Agents Created Political Correctness and Destroyed America
SATCOM, thanks for the info. I just finished season two on DVD, as I have no cable . I also listened to some of the extras commentary, some of them interesting. I need to peruse these posts and figure out how to download some shows without costing me a fortune....
Old 14 January 2015, 08:05
On the Extract Bird

Graboid is $20/mo unlimited download.
Old 14 January 2015, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I am a bit late with this but I just recently bought the series. Am midway into the second season. I concur with all the above here, but has anyone noticed the huge anti- Reagan administration mind set from the Russians and how it may mirror so much of the opinions today of our young adults and how they perceive any Republican administration.
Perhaps, but I'm betting if the show were set a few years prior to that, during the Carter administration, they'd show a huge anti-Carter administration bias.

The undermining of America probably cut across administration lines and party affiliation, although I can see how that bias might seem stronger when it comes to Reagan. He was a bit of a polarizing figure throughout his two terms.

I thought the episode where the sleepers go on high alert after Reagan was shot was actually pretty realistic as far as what the reaction would be in such a case, especially after Alexander Haig, a former American General, declared that he was in charge (I know, context is everything).

It was a gaffe on Haig's part, and I don't know of anybody who really took it seriously, but I could see how Russians would perceive it as a possible coup. We had analysts that tried to figure out what the Russian mentality was, and they had their counterparts in the former USSR who did the same.

There was always a lot of misperception, as well as propaganda, going on during the Cold War. I would go as far as to say it was at its height during the Reagan administration.

In the end, it's just a tv show.
Old 14 January 2015, 17:15
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM
Wow, America has been destroyed? Well shit, I guess I won't be doing that ski vacation in NM this year afterall....
Old 14 January 2015, 17:28
Secure The Victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Wow, America has been destroyed? Well shit, I guess I won't be doing that ski vacation in NM this year afterall....
LOL - sort of like the "Victory Over America" Palace Saddam built in Camp Slayer.
Old 14 January 2015, 19:56
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs down

So for example... when gays started speaking up and it eventually became socially unacceptable for people to use the word "faggot" casually... that was a creation of the KGB?

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 14 January 2015, 20:34
Been There Done That

Of course
Old 25 May 2016, 14:17
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs up

Good news for this show.

I am still thoroughly enjoying this show.

My concern was that the show was going to0 drag things out and leave certain issues unresolved, for the sole purpose of renewing season after season.
Most shows don't want to develop story arcs that end i nresolution and closure, because they want the show to keep going.

FX has come to an agreement with the show's creators to end the show.
It is not being cancelled and this isn't as a result of someone not wanting a contract renewed.
The show's creators want to go out on top and build a story line that will wrap up the series and end the story of this family.

This season is almost over and the creators and FX have agreed to end the show after the next 23 episodes.
Season five will be 13 episodes... and season six, the final season, will be 10 episodes.

I think it's a great idea and, as a fan of the show, I am glad to see it going out on its own terms and, unlike so many other drama series that end, they are not ending with things unresolved or on a cliffhanger, in the hopes of renewal... they are going to take their time and wrap it all up

Link to article in VARIETY

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 25 May 2016, 14:33

Let the predictions begin on the ultimate fate of the Jennings family.
Old 25 May 2016, 17:40
Policeman Officer

Elizabeth dies, Phillip defects. Or vice versa with Philip sacrificing himself.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 25 May 2016, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
FX has come to an agreement with the show's creators to end the show.
It is not being cancelled and this isn't as a result of someone not wanting a contract renewed.
The show's creators want to go out on top and build a story line that will wrap up the series and end the story of this family.
I love this idea for the same reasons. It gives it a sense of finality and not just a fizzling out and dying.

My quintessential example of this is when they did this for the Battlestar Galactica Reboot on SciFi(one of my all time, if not my all time, favorite show).
Old 28 March 2017, 16:46

I'm just finishing up last season, it's still good but beginning to drag a little bit, especially that subplot with Paige and her pastor. I also don't buy that the "Centre" would risk their two illegals in place by trying to get them to recruit their daughter, although perhaps that was always a part of the plan if the couples wound up having children.

They could end this series in a lot of different ways, one intriguing possibility is that Paige buys into the whole operation (unlikely, IMO) and ultimately takes over for her parents, who in the end are spirited out of the country after "dying" in freak accident at sea in which their bodies are never found.

As for her little brother, he goes on to become FBI director without ever suspecting her parents and sister were/are agents for the KGB.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:03
Been There Done That

Good series finale!

Been one hec of a TV show for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 31 May 2018, 14:00
Confirmed User

I thought it was good ending as well.

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 31 May 2018, 15:15
I really don't care

Spinoffs?

Our new posting rules