SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 10 May 2013, 18:06
Animal Tamer

Cans for Dummies...

I just got back from an AR armorers course taught by a major gun manufacturuer where we discussed new supressor technology. I've put it off long enough but am now ready to purchase my first can. I want to go with a .30 caliber can that can be used on an LTR .308 and AR's in 5.56 and 300 Blackout.

My primary purpose is hog hunting. I'm covered up with them. I want to go sub-sonic at some reasonable stand-off distances and see if it helps me kill more at a time than just the usual one or two. I sometimes have as many as 50 at a time hit our feeders. Hog traps/kills in the last year alone on my deer lease are close to about 70 and that's with only about 4 hunters give or take a few guests.

I would like more info on both the new Sig Sauer and AAC but not sure about availabilitiy and pricing. I'm waiting on my Class 3 dealer buddy to call me back. I like the claims of their new cans going 10-15K rounds. Any advice from any of you BTDT's?

Thanks,

Duck
Old 10 May 2013, 19:13
Overseas Gunplumber

I have an AAC 5.56 can with at least 10k through it and it is still running strong. The 5.56 cans tend to get much hotter and faster than 7.62. In retrospect I wish I had purchased a 7.62 one which I could then use on a wider variety.

I have no experience with SIG cans but if their other stuff is any indication of performance I would stay away from them.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 10 May 2013, 19:28
Animal Tamer

Thanks. AAC seems to be very highly regarded.
Old 10 May 2013, 21:10
Been There Done That

I own two Surefire cans and an AAC... I wish I had bought the beefy AAC .30 cal can to begin with. It's on my short list to get next. I heard someone had a single stamp suppressed SBR design out too... that would be pretty clutch for a different purpose.
Old 10 May 2013, 22:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
I own two Surefire cans and an AAC... I wish I had bought the beefy AAC .30 cal can to begin with. It's on my short list to get next. I heard someone had a single stamp suppressed SBR design out too... that would be pretty clutch for a different purpose.

Wouldn't an integrally suppressed AR upper only need one stamp? I've seen a couple around and while they're a pretty penny, they're sharp looking uppers.
Old 10 May 2013, 22:09
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
Thanks. AAC seems to be very highly regarded.
Need any help eradicating hogs?
Old 10 May 2013, 23:40
Animal Tamer

You should be in the middle of hog hell in Tejas. They get worse very year. My son and i have trapped over 50 in the last 12 months not even trying hard.
Old 11 May 2013, 03:03
I aim to misbehave

I had a KAC several years back that was pretty phenomenal, but definitely on the pricey side...

While true:
Continue
Old 11 May 2013, 06:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
You should be in the middle of hog hell in Tejas. They get worse very year. My son and i have trapped over 50 in the last 12 months not even trying hard.
finding hogs aint the issue round these parts so much as finding folks who're keen on saying "hey stranger, wanna kill some pig on my property?"

ill be buying my own land shortly, and will gladly allow a chunk of folks to come and take any hogs they can find on my presumably tiny plot...
Old 11 May 2013, 09:43
On the Extract Bird

First as a consumer and now as an SOT I cannot recommend the AAC SDN-6 enough.
It's a .30 cal can and extremely rugged. It doesnt add a ton of weight or length to the host weapon and it has great sound reduction, repeatable POI shift, and by it's nature very versatile.

It makes a lot of sense as a first can. A dedicated 5.56 can may perform better on a 5.56 host...but usually only on sophisticated sound measuring devices. The difference in 1 or 2 decibles is neglible and your ear wont be able to tell the difference.
You have to have a reasonable expectation of the can as well. 5.56 suppressed is still fairly loud regardless of what can you're using.
The SDN-6 compared to Surefire's comparable offerings wins in terms of pricepoint too, IMO.
You can buy a SDN-6 right now from Silencer Shop for under $900.
On a .300BLK with subsonic ammo it is pretty Hollywood...especially on a bolt gun.

Now...the question is whether to wait for whatever new can AAC is going to accomodate the new 91t mount...

ETA...the SDN-6 has all Inconel baffles. I think it'll probably outlast your barrel.
Old 11 May 2013, 09:45
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
Daniel Defense. Pretty awesome looking platform.
Old 11 May 2013, 17:04
Administrator

We run AACs on our 10.5" 416s and they have been great. I honestly didn't know a .30 cal can would work so well on a 556.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 11 May 2013, 18:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken1 View Post
...The difference in 1 or 2 decibles is neglible and your ear wont be able to tell the difference...
Actually, an increase of 3 decibels translates to doubling of the noise level/pressure. 10dB above the baseline is ten times louder, a 20dB gain is 100 times above the baseline.
Old 11 May 2013, 21:48
NOW WITH MORE MOLECULES!

Huntertown Arms makes a very nice, inexpensive modular (read multi-caliber) can. They're made of 3 sections. The center section is the serialized part, and is literally just a threaded tube designed to accommodate a threaded base cap in whichever caliber/pitch you want. The 3rd section contains the baffles. In other words, you can convert it to the correct barrel/caliber by changing thread adapters and end caps. It takes all of 2 minutes to do, and only requires 1 stamp. You can purchase the adapters and end caps over the counter without a stamp.

SBR is a whole other NFA stamp. If you can remove the can and end up with something that can still shoot with under a 16" barrel, you've got to get a tax stamp. No exceptions. The work around is that you have the can permanently attached in a way that only the end cap can be removed with a remaining barrel OAL of 16"(for maintenance purposes). Obviously this type of attachment method would negate the usefulness of the Kestrel model.

Never fuck with a guy who wants to die in battle.
Old 12 May 2013, 08:46
BTDT

Rifle Suppressor advice

The manufacturers "generally" don't talk about off-set or in blue collar terms, how far the suppressor "shifts" the point of impact.

..or, what it does to your accuracy.

That's really, in my opinion, what distinguishes one manufacturer from another.

I would recommend asking, before you purchase, what would be the max shift in POI they guarantee & also what effect in accuracy you would expect.

Good shooting
Old 21 May 2013, 04:51

I have been night hog hunting with a buddy of mine with an AAC SDN-6 on my REPR running subs and the gas turned off.......with PVS-14s and a "PEQ-15" IR laser (cheap chinese copy that we opened up and shock proofed ourselves--runs fantastic). AWESOME setup. That shit makes my dick hard. I bought 2 SDN-06s simply due to that and have roughly 1.5-2 months left on my ATF paperwork before I can pick them up. the wait is KILLING me.

However, was rather difficult to score back to back multiple rooter pig kills with the thing for me due to two factors:
  • 1. the pigs WILL hear the bullet smack the other hog even when running subs (I used 220gr OTM subs from "right to bear" ammo @~100-150 yds)
  • 2. If you don't get that one-hitter quitter and that hog starts squealing and screaming....the others will GTFO.

If they bug out.....usually they will be back after a few minutes. We would hit the remote on the deer feeder so it would spray the corn and that sound would have em back in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
We run AACs on our 10.5" 416s and they have been great.
I hate you.
Old 21 May 2013, 13:23
Living the dream

If you're running subsonic ammunition, the blow-by you'll get shooting 5.56 through a .30 can will be negligible. Enough to consider buying a titanium can instead of steel and just getting one.

If you're looking for inexpensive cans that work, the guys I've been buying from make some pretty quality pieces. I have the first generation of their LRT on my bolt gun. Finally took possession of my Passport from them not long ago. I love them both.

I seriously want a .338 Specter upper, and I think that'd be the right platform for subsonic hog hunting, but it's awfully expensive to feed.
Old 26 May 2013, 09:55
BTDT

speaking of "cans"

Or, if you want to go w/something a "little" more economical; granted, you still must apply for/pay the $200 tax to purchase the adapter.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Good shooting
Old 26 May 2013, 21:35
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc
Or, if you want to go w/something a "little" more economical; granted, you still must apply for/pay the $200 tax to purchase the adapter....
Or get a solvent catch -- and don't pay the $200. Wait, that isn't a suppressor, though.

On another note -- somewhere here school me on what is some apparently old tech. How does one go about disassembling what appears to be an integral can on a MkIII? Do these cans live their lives permanently attached to the receiver, or do they come off? If they don't come off, do the end caps come off to allow for cleaning/maintenance? In advance, pics not available, sadly -- but I promised to ask, since I didn't know the answer....
Old 27 May 2013, 02:59
BTDT

Integral MKIII can

Gonna say, it depends on the manufacturer.

You buy 1 from Phil, @ Innovative Arms, here in Elgin, SC. You take off the end cap & pull out his solid billet core. You can clean everything.

Good shooting

Our new posting rules