Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #541  
Old 20 December 2017, 13:22
Dark Helmet's Avatar
Dark Helmet Dark Helmet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 10,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
I was shopping for the G20 and stumbled across this.
https://www.460rowland.com/product/p...21-conversion/
Really interesting....thanks for posting that.
__________________
All Hail the Helmet!

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #542  
Old 20 December 2017, 15:49
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Bitter old man.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LOFD
Posts: 5,758
There is also .50 GI for Glock 20/21.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 9 March 2018, 10:59
dbuck1031 dbuck1031 is offline
Corpsman Up!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 252
Recently attended a GSSF event and some guys shooting the G20 and even the G40 were using .40 S&W in a stock Glock 10mm. They were calling it "40 Short and Weak". No barrel change, spring change, nothing. Went home and started reading up on this, and apparently it's not new, people have been shooting .40 S&W from their 10mm Glocks for a while with no issues. Apparently they liken it to .38 Special from a .357. Just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on this.
__________________
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back.
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 9 March 2018, 11:06
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: W. Slope of Big Sewell Mtn.
Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
Recently attended a GSSF event and some guys shooting the G20 and even the G40 were using .40 S&W in a stock Glock 10mm. They were calling it "40 Short and Weak". No barrel change, spring change, nothing. Went home and started reading up on this, and apparently it's not new, people have been shooting .40 S&W from their 10mm Glocks for a while with no issues. Apparently they liken it to .38 Special from a .357. Just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on this.

I posted to this once. Yes, it can be done. I ran a mag of .40 through my 29.

No issues or malfunctions. Then again if I wanted a .40 I would buy one.
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 9 March 2018, 11:34
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
Apparently they liken it to .38 Special from a .357.
If they have 10mm revolvers in mind when they liken it, sure. Try shooting .38 Special from a .357 Mag autoloader, such as a Desert Eagle or Coonan Arms, you can run into the same malfs as with firing .40S&W from a 10mm Glock.

A 10mm Glock can and will cycle and function .40S&W, but you can run into feeding issues due to the shorter OAL of the .40S&W. Unless you intentionally try to induce a stoppage, it will almost certainly function fine on a range. I would avoid it for any sort of non-training use.

From a range/training perspective, shooting .40S&W out of your 10mm Glock is a great way to save $$$ on training ammo.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 9 March 2018, 13:12
dbuck1031 dbuck1031 is offline
Corpsman Up!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 252
That was the reason I was asking, the older gentleman I got the Trooper MKIII and S&W from in my other thread just gave me 2565 rounds of factory new .40 S&W, and I do not have a .40 S&W, but I DO have a Glock 40 MOS. He pulled in the driveway, had my oldest son unload it and drove away. I called him and all he said was "Enjoy it, I can't, and don't even say anything about money!"
__________________
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back.
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 9 March 2018, 16:40
glockcqc glockcqc is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,032
.40 S&W in a 10mm barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
Recently attended a GSSF event and some guys shooting the G20 and even the G40 were using .40 S&W in a stock Glock 10mm. They were calling it "40 Short and Weak". No barrel change, spring change, nothing. Went home and started reading up on this, and apparently it's not new, people have been shooting .40 S&W from their 10mm Glocks for a while with no issues. Apparently they liken it to .38 Special from a .357. Just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on this.
Revolvers & shotguns have forcing cones.

Rifles & semi-automatic pistols have throats.

There is a difference. Shooting a .40 S&W in a semi-auto 10mm is NOT like shooting a .38 in a .357 revolver.

Well, what is the difference? Shotgun & revolver cartridges have a rimmed case. That provides a means for the cartridge/shell to headspace

Take the barrel out of your G40 & put a .40 S&W into it. Well, that's interesting isn't it? As most semi-automatic cartridges are rimless, they headspace off the mouth of the case.

So, what we have here, is a rimless pistol cartridge being held/fitted into a longer chamber by the extractor. Will it work? Sure; until, your extractor breaks & then there are some other problems; similar, to shooting a 45-70 in a 45-90.

Thoughts. Don't do it & recognize humans that are doing it as uneducated & possibly mentally impaired.

Good shooting
__________________
"By trial and error and correction do we learn - not by theory and arguement." Ed McGivern
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 9 March 2018, 17:44
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck1031 View Post
That was the reason I was asking, the older gentleman I got the Trooper MKIII and S&W from in my other thread just gave me 2565 rounds of factory new .40 S&W, and I do not have a .40 S&W, but I DO have a Glock 40 MOS. He pulled in the driveway, had my oldest son unload it and drove away. I called him and all he said was "Enjoy it, I can't, and don't even say anything about money!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
Thoughts. Don't do it & recognize humans that are doing it as uneducated & possibly mentally impaired.
I defer to glockcqc's advice on firearms and shooting. If he advises against it...I wouldn't do it.

Buy yourself a police trade-in G22 or P226 on Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, and blast up that .40S&W. Used .40s in great shape are very plentiful for cheap these days.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 9 March 2018, 18:57
dbuck1031 dbuck1031 is offline
Corpsman Up!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 252
I'm passing it along to some Army Reservists I know that shoot .40 S&W. Dropping it off tonight. I thought about using my GSSF coopin, but I'm gonna save it for a G34 MOS or a G41 MOS, can't decide.
__________________
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back.
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 9 March 2018, 20:43
Akheloce Akheloce is offline
Six Minutes!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 398
To piggyback on everything glockcqc said, (which is obviously correct) G20's come OEM with a relatively light spring. Most common 10mm ammo is loaded lightly, and the light spring is matched to it. I've gone to a heavier spring to properly cycle my heavy handloads, and others such as Buffalobore, and DoubleTap. A heavier spring with the light 40SW loads will cause malfunctions.

I used to have a 460 Rowland which is a rimless auto just a little longer then the .45 ACP (all other dimensions, to include cartridge overall length) are the same between the two. Before I knew better, I shot 45 ACP though it, and it malfunctioned quite a bit (spring/ headspacing issues). I also had a heck of a time cleaning the lead from the chamber that was caught by the rim intended to headspace the 460 Rowland cartridge.
__________________
RIP Sitka 43 and ICY 33

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 7 June 2018, 09:35
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 11,094
Hmmmm....now Ruger has come out with their Match Champion revolver chambered in 10mm!

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100...on/models.html
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 7 June 2018, 09:43
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Hmmmm....now Ruger has come out with their Match Champion revolver chambered in 10mm!
Shooting rounds designed for semiautos out of revolvers is a bad idea. Sure, they chamber revolvers for it, but it is still a bad idea. Autoloading rounds aren't crimped like revolver rounds.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 7 June 2018, 14:09
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 13,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Shooting rounds designed for semiautos out of revolvers is a bad idea. Sure, they chamber revolvers for it, but it is still a bad idea. Autoloading rounds aren't crimped like revolver rounds.
I have had a 625 for about 25 years and have about 5k rounds through it. The challenge is that one slightly high primer or bent moon clip blows the doors off of any trigger work you may have done. I like the Ruger. It has that "Jesus that is a clinky looking gun" appearance, but fits well in the hand. It is like the orthopedic shoes you wear. The velcro straps make them look weird, but when you put them on you just Say Ahhhhhhh.


On another note, I fell into a franken glock that is a G 30SF Gen 3 frame and gen 4 slide. I put a storm lake 45-10mm conversion barrel in it. I am going to file down a new extractor as per the barrel manufacturer and get a gen 4 RSA for a 10mm. It shoots OK as is, extracts fine, the slide is a bit quick with the lighter RSA from the 45 ACP.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 7 June 2018 at 22:28.
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 7 June 2018, 14:22
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I have had a 625 for about 25 years and have about 5k rounds through it. The challenge is that one slightly high primer or bent moon clip blows the doors off of any trigger work you may have done. I like the Ruger. It has that "Jesus that is a clinky looking gun" appearance, but fits well in the hand. It is like the orthopedic shoes you wear. The velcro straps make them look weird, but when you put them on you just Say Ahhhhhhh.
The revolver can handle the rounds...it's the rounds that sometimes can't handle the revolver. No crimping means the bullets can "walk" forward under recoil. This is a common issue for lightweight revolvers in 9mm, but can occur with heavier revolvers, as well. The fix, for those that want to use revolvers chambered in auto pistol cartridges, is to always shoot all of the rounds loaded in a cylinder once one round has been fired, or note which have not been fired, and set those aside for inspection. Some bullet manufacturers make small amounts of crimped autoloader bullets, or, in the case of the 625, you can use the .45 Autorim, which is a crimped round.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 8 June 2018, 21:38
256's Avatar
256 256 is offline
Navigating
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
If they have 10mm revolvers in mind when they liken it, sure. Try shooting .38 Special from a .357 Mag autoloader, such as a Desert Eagle or Coonan Arms, you can run into the same malfs as with firing .40S&W from a 10mm Glock.

A 10mm Glock can and will cycle and function .40S&W, but you can run into feeding issues due to the shorter OAL of the .40S&W. Unless you intentionally try to induce a stoppage, it will almost certainly function fine on a range. I would avoid it for any sort of non-training use.

From a range/training perspective, shooting .40S&W out of your 10mm Glock is a great way to save $$$ on training ammo.
Agreed. I used my Glock 20 for a red dot class and shot about 500 rounds of 40 mostly, no issues.
__________________
Law Enforcement..."The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know."
- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 9 June 2018, 01:04
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Agreed. I used my Glock 20 for a red dot class and shot about 500 rounds of 40 mostly, no issues.
I thought so, too, until I read glockcqc's post a couple below mine...^^^
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 9 June 2018, 21:18
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 13,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The revolver can handle the rounds...it's the rounds that sometimes can't handle the revolver. No crimping means the bullets can "walk" forward under recoil. This is a common issue for lightweight revolvers in 9mm, but can occur with heavier revolvers, as well. The fix, for those that want to use revolvers chambered in auto pistol cartridges, is to always shoot all of the rounds loaded in a cylinder once one round has been fired, or note which have not been fired, and set those aside for inspection. Some bullet manufacturers make small amounts of crimped autoloader bullets, or, in the case of the 625, you can use the .45 Autorim, which is a crimped round.
Or I could just shoot another 5000 reloads through it. I can do whatever is needed ref crimping. I do not roll crimp, never had an issue.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:53.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET