SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 August 2016, 08:46
Policeman Officer

Is .300 BLK here to stay?

I'm actively looking to buy an AR pistol. I'm very tempted to get .300 over 5.56 because, well, it's cool I guess. Is this round a novelty that won't last or is it here to stay?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 11 August 2016, 09:20
Über Equus Asinus

I think .300 BLK is here to stay... it even appears to be gaining in popularity still...

I've thought about picking up a .300 BLK upper for my wife's M4orgery... would make a great pig/deer killer here in TX..
Old 11 August 2016, 09:25
Policeman Officer

One nice thing is that if I were to get one and it becomes obsolete I could just switch out the upper. I'm thinking of this for my home defense gun.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 11 August 2016, 09:30
Confirmed User

I think yes. Making the specs available to SAMMI put it ahead of a lot of proprietary rounds that have a following, but will never have mass market availability of ammo and guns.
Will it over shadow .223.5.56 or 308/7.72? No but it already has a larger following than several others that fell by the wayside in the past few years for on reason or another. (.308 Marlin, 30 Remington AR)

Components for .30 cal are not going away, .223 brass to make cases from will be available forever (laws not withstanding) so the ingredients are easily brought together. Not so with say .41 mag where there is no other overlap for multi use brass or projectiles.
Old 11 August 2016, 09:32
Anesthetized User

Plenty of commercial ammo is loaded to include match. Plenty of load data as well. I think it will be around.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 11 August 2016, 09:35
Bitter old man.

I believe it will stay around.
Old 11 August 2016, 09:37
The Sagacious One

You are going to shoot an AR pistol in your house? Suppressed I think? So speaking as a rookie on these weapons, they are loud. Maybe downloaded 300 isn't as bad.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 11 August 2016 at 15:39.
Old 11 August 2016, 09:37
Policeman Officer

Thanks guys.

Old 11 August 2016, 09:41
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You are going to shoot an AR pistol in your house? Suppressed I think?
Unfortunately suppressors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts unless it's a duty weapon. Obviously we're talking about in extremis use.

Old 11 August 2016, 10:36
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacivpol View Post
I think yes. Making the specs available to SAMMI put it ahead of a lot of proprietary rounds that have a following, but will never have mass market availability of ammo and guns.
Will it over shadow .223.5.56 or 308/7.72? No but it already has a larger following than several others that fell by the wayside in the past few years for on reason or another. (.308 Marlin, 30 Remington AR)

Components for .30 cal are not going away, .223 brass to make cases from will be available forever (laws not withstanding) so the ingredients are easily brought together. Not so with say .41 mag where there is no other overlap for multi use brass or projectiles.
^^^This. The 300 BLK is basically a cut down 5.56 case with a bigger bullet. The ammo is once again relatively cheap and readily available, as are components for building the upper. In SBR or pistol, it is a great home defense option, as it can be easily suppressed. This equates to less "flash & bang" in that dark hallway at 2am. The 300BLK kicks like a butterfly fart, and is just as quiet when shooting suppressed. I'm currently using Hornady 208gr A-Max for home defense, and Remington 220gr for plinking. With that said, an SBR with a suppressor is a two stamp gun, which will equate to you giving the ATF $400 more dollars. A Pistol suppressed = $200 more.
Old 11 August 2016, 11:14
Six Minutes!

My 300 pistol is suppressed, but before the tax stamp came through, I used this:
http://www.noveske.com/products/kx5-...w-crush-washer

The Noveske KX series are the most effective flash suppressors for AR pistols IMO
Old 11 August 2016, 11:19
Policeman Officer

Thanks.

Old 11 August 2016, 13:36
Been There Done That

I also hear (semi credible source) that 300 BLK has quite the following in the EU. Wide adoption there would lead to even broader acceptance here.
Old 11 August 2016, 14:04
Policeman Officer

I read somewhere that the Dutch or Moral or Danes ordered a bunch for their SF guys, I forget which country.

Old 11 August 2016, 15:20
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox33C1 View Post
I also hear (semi credible source) that 300 BLK has quite the following in the EU. Wide adoption there would lead to even broader acceptance here.
It does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I read somewhere that the Dutch or Moral or Danes ordered a bunch for their SF guys, I forget which country.
Yes.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 11 August 2016, 15:45
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Unfortunately suppressors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts unless it's a duty weapon. Obviously we're talking about in extremis use.
Head to NAPA.
Old 11 August 2016, 16:14

I have a suppressed .300BLK w/9" barrel (AAC MPW). I have run 220gr subsonics through it and it's really quiet out in the open. I have shot it from a semi-enclosed porch and the ceiling really amplifies the sound a bit. So it's quiet, but in enclosed spaces it still hurts your ears a little bit. Not NEARLY as bad as cracking off a few rounds with full power ammo, but still not as quiet as a suppressed 22LR. Think of it as a bit louder than an MRE grenade going off.
Old 11 August 2016, 16:17
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
My 300 pistol is suppressed, but before the tax stamp came through, I used this:
http://www.noveske.com/products/kx5-...w-crush-washer

The Noveske KX series are the most effective flash suppressors for AR pistols IMO
I used the KAK version for $35.
Old 11 August 2016, 17:25
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Head to NAPA.
That would be like, illegal.

Old 11 August 2016, 18:42
Confirmed User

I hope so, as I am building a HD version, with BCM 9" and suppressor.

Our new posting rules