SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 August 2016, 19:34
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
That would be like, illegal.
No, the oil filter is a trap to catch solvent while cleaning.

Not your fault thugs broke in while you were cleaning your weapon.

Local could prove it in court.
Old 11 August 2016, 19:40
Policeman Officer

"No one was more surprised than I when..."
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 11 August 2016, 21:53
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Well damn.

Looks like same thing (without the juvenile flaming pig graphics)

At least I sold mine (Noveske) for what I paid for it.

Im not kidding about the effectiveness of them though. I consider them darn near required for an AR pistol. I started with an A2 style, then a JP. The mini-can style is the way to go.

That being said, they're still damn loud unsuppressed.
Old 11 August 2016, 22:51
Been There Done That

As I anxiously await the approval of my form 1, Ive been considering a 300BLK upper as well since it performs so well in short barrels. It has a lot of practicality, I dont think its going anywhere. I just dont know if I feel like messing with another caliber for an AR.
Old 12 August 2016, 09:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
As I anxiously await the approval of my form 1, Ive been considering a 300BLK upper as well since it performs so well in short barrels. It has a lot of practicality, I dont think its going anywhere. I just dont know if I feel like messing with another caliber for an AR.

Ha, its almost like I wrote this word for word.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 12 August 2016, 11:57
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Well damn.

Looks like same thing (without the juvenile flaming pig graphics)

At least I sold mine (Noveske) for what I paid for it.

Im not kidding about the effectiveness of them though. I consider them darn near required for an AR pistol. I started with an A2 style, then a JP. The mini-can style is the way to go.

That being said, they're still damn loud unsuppressed.

I test fired my pistol with only bare threads and it looked like a burning force field moving out from the muzzle. This new flash can drives everything forward and all but eliminates the flash.
Old 12 August 2016, 14:34
Calix Meus Inebrians

I think a suppressed .300BLK is as good as it can get for home defense with a long gun (or "pistol") these days. I was all set to do the paperwork and drop the cash for a multi-cal suppressor until my truck needed some hefty repairs. My goal was to have a .300BLK upper for my SBR assembled by the end of the year as the primary user of that can. I'm going to have to push that project off until next year when the cash flow is hopefully more steady.
Old 20 September 2016, 22:03

I love the 300. Once I started shooting it, I haven't gone back to my 5.56. I have 2 ARs in 300 now, one SBR with SDN6 on the end. Super quiet with subsonic running thru it. I keep that in the house as the go to if I need more then the G19.
Old 20 September 2016, 23:14
Unemployed Stunt Double

300 BLK is just another tool in the box, albeit a pretty versatile one. I have a 9" 300 BLK SBR that I run suppressed. With subsonic ammo I am essentially shooting a .45 ACP in ballistic terms.

So, I am not giving up on the 5.56. I still regard 5.56 as being superior to 300 BLK for mil use. Now 6.8 SPCII, that is superior to 5.56 in pretty much every way (ballistics, anyway)...
Old 20 September 2016, 23:16
Policeman Officer

I'm waiting for a lower to show up before I can go ahead with this. I'm sticking with 5.56 for now because of cost and availability.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 20 September 2016, 23:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
...suppressors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Someone should coin a phrase about what's illegal in Massachusetts...
Old 20 September 2016, 23:39
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Someone should coin a phrase about what's illegal in Massachusetts...
What's Latin for "whatever the attorney general decides on any given day"?

Old 20 September 2016, 23:43
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
What's Latin for "whatever the attorney general decides on any given day"?
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem!
Old 21 September 2016, 22:21
Old Scroll

generalis procurator quod statuit diem in qua

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 September 2016, 01:38
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I gifted one to my Dad, his is a 10" bbl built by RadicalFirearms in TX. I just made the cutoff for CA outlawing importing of AR Pistols by a few months back in 2014. As far as I know, he still hasn't shot it and sits in his safe as HD.

I'm thinking of swapping out the birdcage
For a PWS Triad 3 prong FH..I liked the one on my 5.56 so much..
Old 22 September 2016, 09:17
Been There Done That

crappy part about 300 black is that I have to pick a caliber for my sbr, can't just swap uppers...it's goofy but i don't play around with federal laws.
Old 22 September 2016, 09:40
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
crappy part about 300 black is that I have to pick a caliber for my sbr, can't just swap uppers...it's goofy but i don't play around with federal laws.
^^^??? The lower receiver is the part that is registered on the Form 4 as an SBR. Once you have your tax stamp for that receiver, you can put any length upper (regardless of caliber) on there.
Old 22 September 2016, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
^^^??? The lower receiver is the part that is registered on the Form 4 as an SBR. Once you have your tax stamp for that receiver, you can put any length upper (regardless of caliber) on there.
IIRC when I filled out my form 1 for SBR, it asks the caliber of firearm. From what I have read, ATF no longer allows/accepts the input of "multi" in that particular field.

I have no idea if that would jam you up with atf po-pos, having an upper with a different caliber than what's listed on the stamped lower......but many internet chicken hawks insist that it would. I've never heard of a case ever being prosecuted for that.
Old 22 September 2016, 17:34
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
IIRC when I filled out my form 1 for SBR, it asks the caliber of firearm. From what I have read, ATF no longer allows/accepts the input of "multi" in that particular field.

I have no idea if that would jam you up with atf po-pos, having an upper with a different caliber than what's listed on the stamped lower......but many internet chicken hawks insist that it would. I've never heard of a case ever being prosecuted for that.
You are correct on the later, and I think iraqgunz would concur. But, I've not heard of the ATF requiring the "multi" change.
Old 22 September 2016, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
But, I've not heard of the ATF requiring the "multi" change.
According to THIS law blog, ATF just up and decided not to approve "Multi" options, according to a recent (2016) letter of theirs.

Quote:
A letter surfaced, that was dated June 15, 2016, from the NFA branch to an applicant which stated that the firearm description “varies with our records”. The letter went on to state “We no longer accept multiple calibers and have decided that all sears should be registered as N/A.”
That was in regards to transferring auto-sears...........however, looking at a comment below and not googling further, it looks like it might be a field criteria that's been applied registry-wide.

A commenter responded:
Quote:
Christopher Kuna
July 5, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Not surprising since they did not accept my form 1 lower receiver SBR without first identifying caliber. To their credit, the VERY polite representative DID explain the process for ADDING additional calibers, so it turned out to be a learning experience. A little more work but it IS workable !!!!
There is a thread on SilencerTalk that goes into it more.....

Our new posting rules