Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 22 September 2016, 23:25
Unemployed Stunt Double

ATF will not accept "multi" on the paperwork. That does not mean that you are prohibited from swapping uppers on a SBR lower.

Conjecture on NFA is a bad idea. If you are unsure, don't speculate.
Old 23 September 2016, 00:29
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
ATF will not accept "multi" on the paperwork. That does not mean that you are prohibited from swapping uppers on a SBR lower.

Conjecture on NFA is a bad idea. If you are unsure, don't speculate.
So that essentially means, write every caliber that will fit in the block..and submit.
Old 23 September 2016, 08:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
So that essentially means, write every caliber that will fit in the block..and submit.
Sure, if you want to get a rejection.
Old 23 September 2016, 09:23
Confirmed User

The way I understand the SBR debacle is, if you have a 16 inch AR in the safe, one Lower NFA approved for whatever caliber, you can have as many SBR uppers you want. But, if you have two lowers, non NFA stamped, you better have 2 uppers that are at least 16inches for them.
Old 23 September 2016, 09:54
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The way I understand the SBR debacle is, if you have a 16 inch AR in the safe, one Lower NFA approved for whatever caliber, you can have as many SBR uppers you want. But, if you have two lowers, non NFA stamped, you better have 2 uppers that are at least 16inches for them.
That concept is called "constructive possession." It isn't codified in the law, but is essentially true. The .gov has prosecuted folks for it in the past.
Old 23 September 2016, 21:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That concept is called "constructive possession." It isn't codified in the law, but is essentially true. The .gov has prosecuted folks for it in the past.
Just out of curiosity, do you have links, or any info I can search for this? I suspect there is more to the story than just having more uppers than lowers.
Old 23 September 2016, 21:21
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have links, or any info I can search for this? I suspect there is more to the story than just having more uppers than lowers.
https://blog.princelaw.com/2009/09/01/florida-man-arrested-for-constructive-possession-of-an-sbr/

http://johnpierceesq.com/may-i-have-extra-uppers-for-my-sbr-in-the-same-gun-safe-as-title-1-lowers/

just a few articles that reference historical cases
Old 23 September 2016, 22:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
https://blog.princelaw.com/2009/09/01/florida-man-arrested-for-constructive-possession-of-an-sbr/

http://johnpierceesq.com/may-i-have-extra-uppers-for-my-sbr-in-the-same-gun-safe-as-title-1-lowers/

just a few articles that reference historical cases
Interesting stories, but the first one, it seemed pretty clear that the guy had actually made an NFA firearm, and in the second one they said that you are allowed to have multiple uppers for a single SBR lower.
Old 23 September 2016, 22:50
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Interesting stories, but the first one, it seemed pretty clear that the guy had actually made an NFA firearm, and in the second one they said that you are allowed to have multiple uppers for a single SBR lower.
Yup, just read the internet while I was bored, and these are the only real cases I could find. As usual, there WAS more to the story than an innocent Joe with a few uppers in the safe.

I figured, I'd let SOCNETters read in depth on there own to reach their own conclusions.

On a side note, never let the incompetence of LE catch you in the dark.

My own story:

Circa 1500 31DEC2015, I was pulled over on an Alaska Highway by an Alaska State Trooper. I was pulled over for "flickering trailer lights" which he said later seemed "OK now". Per AK law, I informed the Trooper that I had a weapon accessible to the driver (case law definition of concealed weapon). It was an AR-15 pistol with a registered suppressor, and a Sig-Tac forearm brace.

He took the AR to his cruiser, photographed it, and texted it to a colleague. Since cell service was spotty, he didn't get a reply on legality, and he let me go with a verbal warning on my properly functioning trailer lights.

3 days later, I get a phone call from said trooper demanding I surrender my AR pistol to the nearest Trooper station or he would get an arrest warrant. I informed the Trooper that I had paperwork from the ATF, and he said "I don't care what paperwork you have, I'll arrest you and you can have your day in court"

I sent an email to the Attorney General and CC'ed the Commander of the Alaska State Troopers asking if it was the opinion of the State of Alaska that I was in violation of the National Firearms Act. I sent supporting documentation from the ATF, including a copy of my suppressor tax stamp.

Long story short, I got a phone call from the Trooper's supervisor saying that I was in fact legal- (with no apology).

My only advice is, know the law, be prepared to show documentation, and be prepared to be arrested while in compliance with the law.
Old 23 September 2016, 23:02
Unemployed Stunt Double

Bottom line with NFA is that the ATF allows themselves a lot of wiggle room, and that wiggle room can be very painful.

If you play the NFA game, know the laws, to include the rights and lefts, and the "gray" area that the ATF sometimes likes to play in.
Old 23 September 2016, 23:07
Been There Done That

One of these days, if my stamps ever get approved, I plan on having copies of all my stuff pretty much everywhere I can put it to ensure I don't somehow get caught without it at some point. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people having bad interactions with police not familiar with NFA laws though.
Old 24 September 2016, 22:38

Quote:
One of these days, if my stamps ever get approved, I plan on having copies of all my stuff pretty much everywhere I can put it to ensure I don't somehow get caught without it at some point. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people having bad interactions with police not familiar with NFA laws though.
I bought a bunch of microSD cards, uploaded all my stamp paperwork to them, and superglued them to the inside of my buttstocks or pistol grips.
Old 14 January 2017, 21:20
The Sagacious One

So, on a whim, I traded a Kimber pistol without a job for a 300 BLK AR Pistol. Nothing special, but I figured what the heck. So as I understand it, I can regular AR mags?

It looks like the ammo ranges from 123 - 220 grn. Any recommendations?

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 14 January 2017 at 21:37.
Old 14 January 2017, 21:41
Old Scroll

Yes you can, but remember that the larger bullet diameter causes a tad bit of nose-inward shouldering due to the crease of the side of the mag, the one forward on the bullet side. Essentially your bullets are double stacked pigeon-toed. That guide crease is a bit less deep on a .300 specific mag.

I've not yet bought any .300 mags, and so far have had zero feed issues using 556 magpul mags.

Nice trade

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 14 January 2017, 22:41
Confirmed User

I am in the same boat, just put an 300Blk together..
But, its a HD weapon, so sling, scope and magazines are next. magazines will have 300 written on side for all family members to ensure proper magazine is put in..
Old 14 January 2017, 22:52
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I bought a bunch of microSD cards, uploaded all my stamp paperwork to them, and superglued them to the inside of my buttstocks or pistol grips.
Innovative, and prudent, but how will you pop them off if they are superglued?
Old 14 January 2017, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Innovative, and prudent, but how will you pop them off if they are superglued?
Put a flat screwdriver on the end and give it a whack. A drop of Superglue doesn't do too well against shear forces.

Honestly, I don't ever plan on needing them. I've never even heard of someone getting jammed up at a range with the popo for something as easy to prove than NFA stuff. At least not where I'm from. If, somehow I do need it, it's pretty easy to prove all my stuff is legit.
Old 14 January 2017, 23:24
Old Scroll

Try rubber cement... It is far more tenacious than you'd think, but that micro SD card is going to come right outta there with but a little bit of effort.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 January 2017, 01:08
Unemployed Stunt Double

Magpul is releasing 300 BLK PMAGs this spring. I use 300 BLK mags for subsonic, and 5.56 mags for supersonic. Mine are currently color-coded to prevent KABOOMs at the range. Once the PMAGs are out, I will stop using 5.56 mags for 300 BLK altogether (once again, less a function issue than a KABOOM prevention).

My preferred subsonic load is Silencerco Harvester 220 gr, and in supersonic I like the 110 gr Double Tap.

I am currently plotting on getting a BCM with a 16-inch 300 BLK. I only have 300 BLK SBRs at the moment.
Old 15 January 2017, 08:56
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So, on a whim, I traded a Kimber pistol without a job for a 300 BLK AR Pistol. Nothing special, but I figured what the heck. So as I understand it, I can regular AR mags?

It looks like the ammo ranges from 123 - 220 grn. Any recommendations?

I have been using beater GI mags with no issue. I do concur with Gavin on getting 300 mags when you can.

Our new posting rules