SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 15 January 2017, 20:56
The Sagacious One

I just saw a post on another site about the Pmags, Website says Spring of 2017.....
Old 15 January 2017, 21:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I just saw a post on another site about the Pmags, Website says Spring of 2017.....
I pre ordered a few from Brownells. Also, D&H 300BLK magazines and Lancer 556 mags works.. too. Its the rib inside that offset the heavier bullets and makes them toe out..
Old 21 January 2017, 18:15
The Sagacious One

OK, so I took this pistol to the range and despite some neglect, a little rust on the back of the bolt, this thing does not function properly. When I load a mag drop the bolt, it loads, when I rack the charging handle, it ejects, but when I fire it, no extraction and double feed. The main issue is no extraction. Any thoughts?
Old 21 January 2017, 18:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
OK, so I took this pistol to the range and despite some neglect, a little rust on the back of the bolt, this thing does not function properly. When I load a mag drop the bolt, it loads, when I rack the charging handle, it ejects, but when I fire it, no extraction and double feed. The main issue is no extraction. Any thoughts?
Double feed is magazine, generally.
What grain bullet
Old 21 January 2017, 19:02
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
What grain bullet
With 300 BLK, there are some other concerns, such as:
-proper gas tube length for the load you are shooting
-proper buffer weight for the load you are shooting
-presence of an O-ring over the extractor with HD spring (sounds like the likely culprit in TFG's malf).
Old 21 January 2017, 19:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
With 300 BLK, there are some other concerns, such as:
-proper gas tube length for the load you are shooting
-proper buffer weight for the load you are shooting
-presence of an O-ring over the extractor with HD spring (sounds like the likely culprit in TFG's malf).
Subsonic and H2 buffer, supersonic and carbine buffer are good.
Pistol gas for both above in SBR, pistol configuration.
O Ring? Hmmm
Thats as far as I can decipher.
Old 21 January 2017, 19:17
Unemployed Stunt Double

Pull out the extractor, put a Crane O-ring around the spring, I prefer HD springs for 300 BLK. If the weapon is extracting fine, don't worry about the O-ring. If not, try the O-ring. Provides more positive purchase on the case.
Old 21 January 2017, 21:32
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
What grain bullet
120's. But the DF only happened occasionally. It was the fresh round jammed to the back of the unextracted casing.
Old 21 January 2017, 21:33
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Pull out the extractor, put a Crane O-ring around the spring, I prefer HD springs for 300 BLK. If the weapon is extracting fine, don't worry about the O-ring. If not, try the O-ring. Provides more positive purchase on the case.
So you are saying the spring (extractor) doesn't have enough ass to hold on during extraction?
Old 21 January 2017, 22:49
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
So you are saying the spring (extractor) doesn't have enough ass to hold on during extraction?
Yep. O-ring allows extractor to apply additional pressure thru leverage. Might not be the fix for what ails yer gat, but would be my next step in the diagnosis.
Old 22 January 2017, 05:49
Overseas Gunplumber

A failure to extract (as in the casing is still in the chamber) can be a couple of things. First and foremost one needs to look at the extractor spring/extractor. I prefer and use either the BCM enhanced spring or the springs from Sprinco.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then you need to look at the chamber. An incorrect chamber will cause this to happen. You can also have casings that are not sized properly.

The best way to troubleshoot this is to replace the cheapest item first- extractor spring and insert. I always tell people to make sure whatever ammo you are using has been fully vetted previously and avoid and reloads.

Test fire it again and see if the persists. If it does then you may have a chamber issue (out of spec).

Your malfunction is not a double feed. You have a failure to extract which leads to a failure to chamber. A double feed is when (2) live rounds attempt to enter the chamber at the same time.

Any idea who makes the barrel and other parts. My guess is that someone built that up, and if they used a 45.00 Anderson lower, they probably skimped on the other parts as well.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC

Last edited by iraqgunz; 22 January 2017 at 05:55.
Old 22 January 2017, 10:13
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Maybe try a different BCG out of another weapon?
Old 22 January 2017, 10:29
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
A failure to extract (as in the casing is still in the chamber) can be a couple of things. First and foremost one needs to look at the extractor spring/extractor. I prefer and use either the BCM enhanced spring or the springs from Sprinco.

If that doesn't solve the issue, then you need to look at the chamber. An incorrect chamber will cause this to happen. You can also have casings that are not sized properly.

The best way to troubleshoot this is to replace the cheapest item first- extractor spring and insert. I always tell people to make sure whatever ammo you are using has been fully vetted previously and avoid and reloads.

Test fire it again and see if the persists. If it does then you may have a chamber issue (out of spec).

Your malfunction is not a double feed. You have a failure to extract which leads to a failure to chamber. A double feed is when (2) live rounds attempt to enter the chamber at the same time.

Any idea who makes the barrel and other parts. My guess is that someone built that up, and if they used a 45.00 Anderson lower, they probably skimped on the other parts as well.

I have no doubt that most of the parts are from Anderson. The case comes out easily after dropping the mag and then closing the bolt on the unextracted case. It also cycles fine when done by hand.

Ammo is Remington factory 120 grn. I also need to do a very good cleaning of this gun as it appears to have "set" for a while.

I ordered a new spring and the O rings gavin mentioned. I will try the BCG from my 5.56 pistol. It is NP3'd and has never missed a beat in the other pistol.
Old 22 January 2017, 12:32
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
The case comes out easily after dropping the mag and then closing the bolt on the unextracted case. It also cycles fine when done by hand.
I defer to Gunz in this but it really sounds like the system is getting no gas when fired?

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 22 January 2017, 14:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

I've concluded that quality parts and proper specs are essential for reliable cycling with 300 BLK, much more than with 5.56, 7.62, 6.8, etc. As I type here often, match the gas system (to include suppressed vs unsupressed) and buffer weight to the load you are going to be using.

Think about the range of bullet weights available for 300 BLK, and then the available loadinga for other common MSR calibers. How many other calibers have commercial loadings with a range from sub-100 gr to in excess of 240 gr? I am pretty sure if you loaded 30 gr 5.56, and then 150 gr 5.56 (or any other big variation in weight), you'd see some finicky results, just like I see with 300 BLK.
Old 22 January 2017, 17:09
Overseas Gunplumber

The problem with hand cycling rounds, is that it does not replicate obturation that occurs when the weapon is fired, and the casing expands in the chamber.

In order to test the gas system, you need to take a magazine and load one live round and then fire. If it is working correctly, then it will fire, cycle through and finally eject. If it doesn't then you most likely have a gas problem.

Additionally depending on how they ported the barrel, not all .300 BO will cycle subsonic rounds without a suppressor in place so make sure you are using something lighter.

Quote:
I have no doubt that most of the parts are from Anderson. The case comes out easily after dropping the mag and then closing the bolt on the unextracted case. It also cycles fine when done by hand.

Ammo is Remington factory 120 grn. I also need to do a very good cleaning of this gun as it appears to have "set" for a while.

I ordered a new spring and the O rings gavin mentioned. I will try the BCG from my 5.56 pistol. It is NP3'd and has never missed a beat in the other pistol.

Old 22 January 2017, 17:49
Old Scroll

I must be one lucky schmo... the 10" .300 CMG barrel on a Colt A3 upper that I put together last summer seems to run quite reliably on either 120 or 220 grain bullets, with our without a suppressor. I've got a regular carbine buffer in my pistol lower.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 January 2017, 19:00
Overseas Gunplumber

Not really. Just measure the gas port, and that will tell you everything. If you make the port large enough, it will run anything. The problem is that when you juice it up from the get go, then adding a suppressor makes it super juiced.

Ultimately overgassing can cause premature parts wear, or malfunctions.

Here's an except from Noveske in regards to their 300 BO. I believe AAC follows the same formula.

Noveske’s 300 AAC BLACKOUT is designed to run optimally firing both subsonic suppressed and supersonic unsuppressed. This barrel is tuned to lock back on the last round using subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition with a sound suppressor. The firearm may not lock back with subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition without a sound suppressor. Also, the subsonic 300 BLK ammunition is more susceptible to a malfunction due to carbon fouling and adverse conditions than supersonic ammunition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I must be one lucky schmo... the 10" .300 CMG barrel on a Colt A3 upper that I put together last summer seems to run quite reliably on either 120 or 220 grain bullets, with our without a suppressor. I've got a regular carbine buffer in my pistol lower.

Old 23 January 2017, 00:20
Policeman Officer

I ended up building a 10.5" 5.56 AR pistol. Anderson lower, don't remember the upper, Brownells 1/7 barrel, Shockwave brace, tube and buffer, Bravo PNT trigger group, Troy VTAC Alpha rail. Can't wait to get it on the range.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 21 February 2017, 11:08
Make a desert and call it peace.

Who are some quality manufacturers WRT 300 BLK uppers? I've got three Noveske's, trying to save money vice another one. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

Our new posting rules