SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 22 August 2016, 23:20
Been There Done That

Opt 40

My son is 18 and he's going to sign a contract as soon as he can. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. One thing that's damn sure is I wish I could go with him. Man, my boy. And to do it all over again....
Old 22 August 2016, 23:43
Unemployed Stunt Double

Tell him not to let the recruiters talk him into anything else. Option 40 or he goes to the navy recruiter!
Old 23 August 2016, 00:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Tell him not to let the recruiters talk him into anything else. Option 40 or he goes to the navy recruiter!
Yup. We've been in an ongoing battle about that since Christmas. Well, I won't let him go Navy, but you get the idea...
Old 23 August 2016, 07:34
Been There Done That

I been out a while murp... What is option 40?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 23 August 2016, 07:50
A/1/75

Option 40 is getting Ranger Regt. in your contract. Pending passing RASP
Triple Volunteer! Army! Airborne! Ranger!

Charlie
Old 23 August 2016, 08:51
BTDT

is it still called "Unassigned Ranger"?
Old 23 August 2016, 12:01
Been There Done That

For god's sake, have him wrangle assignment to the best battalion (2/75).

I jest, but does today's Option 40 include a specific unit assignment preference? Or is it just general assignment to the Regiment (after RASP)?

I grew up in Atlanta. When I signed my Ranger Enlistment Option, I specifically requested (and received) assignment orders to 2/75. As a young man embarking on that life-changing move, I really wanted to wander far afield, and meet the challenge somewhere far from home. I had never been to the PNW and couldn't see spending an entire enlistment in Savannah, GA. Too close to home. I wanted a landscape and a unit completely outside of my life experience to that point.

Georgia was home and I knew all its locations like the back of my hand. Washington state was some place distant & exotic.

There were only two Batts back then... and no Regiment.

I never regretted that choice and Ft Lewis turned out to be a great assignment. I thought it was heaven on earth as far as climate, change of scenery, and off-duty adventure.
If your son is inclined to have family geographically closer, perhaps a 2/75 assignment offers that advantage. Or perhaps he'll prefer to cut the home strings and fly far away like I did.

When I left Georgia for Washington (after completing Basic, Infantry AIT, & Airborne), it was August. I flew out of Atlanta (blazing hot) in shorts and polo shirt. Atlanta-Chicago-SEATAC. In Chicago, everyone dressed like me got off the plane. Everyone left was wearing long pants, rain jackets, & hats.

When I got off the plane at my final destination, it was night time, pouring rain, sideways blowing storm winds, and about 50 degrees. In other words, about normal for Seattle/Tacoma.

The next dawn, as I stood outside the post guest quarters awaiting unit pickup, the sky was bright blue, crisply cool, and clear. The landscape was wet, lush, and green. And on the horizon, Mt Rainier reared skyward like some ancient snow-capped god. Nothing at all like Ft Benning, Atlanta, or coastal Savannah.

I was fired up to be there. Things were different enough from home to make me realize that I wasn't in Kansas anymore. It felt good.
Old 23 August 2016, 12:29
Authorized Personnel

Good for him, standing up in this day and age. Best of luck to his success and health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
The next dawn, as I stood outside the post guest quarters awaiting unit pickup, the sky was bright blue, crisply cool, and clear. The landscape was wet, lush, and green. And on the horizon, Mt Rainier reared skyward like some ancient snow-capped god. Nothing at all like Ft Benning, Atlanta, or coastal Savannah.
That's one of the nice things about the PNW. As long as the weather is clear, you always have a known reference point for land navigation. And yes, that's only 5% of the time...
Old 23 August 2016, 12:47
Been There Done That

Thanks, boyos! I'm extremely proud of the kid. He's runnin' and ruckin' and pushin'up and pullin'up. Kid can lap me with 40 pounds on his back.

Astronomy, I, too, enlisted for 2d Batt, but I didn't know what a Ranger was until the day I signed up. True story for another time. We have heard that there really is no choice of Batts at enlistment, but sometimes at RASP graduation, they ask if you have a preference (that might be old/bad info.)

He (and I!) would love 2d Batt. He loves it out here, loves the rain and mountains, etc. I ended up relocating here 14 years after I was with 2d Batt because I loved it so much. And I'd like to have him that close for obvious reasons. When he's not deployed, I suppose.
Old 23 August 2016, 18:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Thanks, boyos! I'm extremely proud of the kid. He's runnin' and ruckin' and pushin'up and pullin'up. Kid can lap me with 40 pounds on his back.

Astronomy, I, too, enlisted for 2d Batt, but I didn't know what a Ranger was until the day I signed up. True story for another time. We have heard that there really is no choice of Batts at enlistment, but sometimes at RASP graduation, they ask if you have a preference (that might be old/bad info.)

He (and I!) would love 2d Batt. He loves it out here, loves the rain and mountains, etc. I ended up relocating here 14 years after I was with 2d Batt because I loved it so much. And I'd like to have him that close for obvious reasons. When he's not deployed, I suppose.

Good for him. Fine young man you got there. Hope he gets his choice of assignment.

Old 23 August 2016, 18:49
True Origin Not Known

Congrats

to you both. Pray for peace.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 23 August 2016, 19:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

I went thru RIP in 1992. We did a "dream sheet" with our preferences. I requested and got 2nd Batt. IIRC most of the guys who finished got orders to the Batt they requested.
Old 23 August 2016, 20:19
Administrator

Quote:
I went thru RIP in 1992.

Fuckin cherry.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 23 August 2016, 21:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
I went thru RIP in 1992. We did a "dream sheet" with our preferences. I requested and got 2nd Batt. IIRC most of the guys who finished got orders to the Batt they requested.
Went through RIP in '86, requested 3rd Batt. Got assigned to 2nd Batt. Talk about dodging a bullet and somebody up above looking out for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23 August 2016, 21:57
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Fuckin cherry.
Go ahead and tell me you were creamin' commies when I was creamin' corn, and that you have boot laces with more time under canopy than I have in the Army...
Old 23 August 2016, 22:26
Been There Done That

yep, in '93 they ran an OML. I wanted and got 1st, then my whole class went to 3rd.

I think the last while it's been tied to deployment cycles.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 23 August 2016, 22:43
Been There Done That

Jesu Christi, what are you fuckers, like 12 years old? I went through RIP on Lewis in March, 1980.

Here's the stupid story: My family had moved from Wichita to KC the week I graduated high school. I was like, I'm outta here, so went to see the recruiter. They were advertising 2-year hitches as MPs in Germany.... For some reason a bunch of us rooks were sent to a hotel and spent the night prior to final sign-up. One of the kids at the hotel (cool dude, did a gainer off the balcony of the hotel into the pool) kept talking about how tough his brother was... he was a Ranger, natch. Chewed glass, the whole shit bang. You know the drill.

The next morning we went to AFEES (or whatever) and told the dude I wanted the 2 year MP program. "No slots, son." So I'm sitting there thinking, "What else you got?" "Hey, I hear this Ranger stuff is pretty cool." "Sign here, boy." Boom! That was it. I had never, ever heard of a real Ranger in my life.
Old 23 August 2016, 23:26
Been There Done That

I figure that just makes you a geriatric fucker.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 24 August 2016, 00:28
Administrator

Quote:
Go ahead and tell me you were creamin' commies when I was creamin' corn, and that you have boot laces with more time under canopy than I have in the Army...

I have more time in a T-10 than you have in a T-shirt!

I was jumping out of C-130's when you were still jumping off the school bus!

I was eatin nails and shittin concertina wire when you were still eatin on mommas titty and shittin green!

Now get your ass down to supply and get me some chemlight batteries, a box of grid squares, a 90mm blank adapter and the keys to the drop zone! And on your way down there go by and tell the 1SG he is a pussy!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I miss the good old days.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 24 August 2016, 00:34
Been There Done That

^^^^^ That's my boy!

Our new posting rules