SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 August 2016, 16:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
^^^Very nice shotguns, Brother! I like them just the way they are.
If I could only keep one it would be the 870, but the 1187 is definitely a fun gun to shoot. Shame on me that I was recently thinking of selling it to fund a Beretta 1301. I cleaned her up good, bought some new piston rings, and doubled up on the rubber gas seal O-rings. Runs pretty good now, but I still need to put about another case of buckshot through it before I'd trust it in a fight.
Old 27 August 2016, 17:05
Just A "Less-Than"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
If I could only keep one it would be the 870, but the 1187 is definitely a fun gun to shoot. Shame on me that I was recently thinking of selling it to fund a Beretta 1301. I cleaned her up good, bought some new piston rings, and doubled up on the rubber gas seal O-rings. Runs pretty good now, but I still need to put about another case of buckshot through it before I'd trust it in a fight.
I would keep the 870 as well. I have always leaned towards the pumps rather than autos. Not sure why...just prefer them.
Old 27 August 2016, 17:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
I would keep the 870 as well. I have always leaned towards the pumps rather than autos. Not sure why...just prefer them.
Reliability and flexibility.
Old 27 August 2016, 20:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Not that front heavy IMO. Rapid fire very little muzzle rise out of it.
Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Like all my firearms I like to keep the customization very light.
870 with a Surefire fore-end and a six round side saddle w/two slugs and four 00 buck.
Quote:
Simplicity leads to reliability.
Old 27 August 2016, 21:39
The Sagacious One

OK, so I guess I can talk about my 870 since I changed the name of the thread.

Here is my front door gun, hides under the flag at the front door.

Magpul reduced pull stock and Surefire lighted forearm.

Many vermin have met their collective fates and now sleep with the fish due to this baby.

Here are the sights

OK, I cannot find my other picture, Ill post it soon.

Here we go

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 11 September 2016 at 10:50.
Old 29 August 2016, 19:45
Deplorable

My first serious service 'Social Shotgun' was - an 870.

My current one - an 870.

Between these two 870's lots of other shotguns.

There was that other shotgun I showed up with to Louis Awerbuck's Course. It had everything, bayonet lug, heat shield, etc.etc. I had just returned from Quantico and was lookin to 'demonstrate proficiency'. [Copenhagen and high-n-tite included.] Louis got me sorted-out and we continued the lessons for the duration [and many years to follow].

Then - the Benelli[s]. Bought not one, not two but THREE at B&B in Orange County[CA]. Shot Benelli M1's for years [until I was later introduced to the M1014]. However - I later learned that 90% of the LE-Agencies I would train with over the next chapter of my employment would be carrying - 870's. [As time would show, the Shotgun would be replaced or supported by the 'Patrol Rifle' as more and more bad-guys started armoring-up prior to mayhem]. The Benelli Phase ended one year when I realized I had a garage full of shotguns with various operating systems and switches.
[Louis was right].

So - I re-committed back to the 870. I still maintained proficiency with other systems for instructional purposes, but for my personal and professional choice, the 870 was it. I've got 3 left. The one back in Iowa I've slayed a remarkable number of deer with over the years. Another one, set-up specifically for dropping pheasants. [Those of you that hunt them know what I'm referring to]. The 3rd one rides in my Silverado here at work. It is my original 870, modified by those that influenced me accordingly from the start. The one I hunt deer with in Iowa and the one in my truck are set up exactly the same, with one difference. The one in my truck has a Sure-Fire for-end for Nite-Fires. Otherwise they are identical in dimensions and modifications thanks to Hans, Louis and Robbie.

The ones we use here at Schoolhouse ... Rem-870 [Scattergun Tech Wilson's].
Old 3 September 2016, 14:47
Confirmed User

Last week I ordered a left handed Benelli Montefelteo with a 28" barrel. They are kind of hard to find around here. There are some with the 26" barrel, but I prefer the 28".

They say you can't wear a Benelli out, but I did. It took 20 years to do it. Great guns, and IMO, there is not a better semi-auto out there for lefties if your primary purpose for having the gun is hunting upland birds.

Has anyone here shot both the Monte and the M2? I'm tempted to switch to the M2 partly because you can get them with the synthetic stock. I could also get it right now and not have to wait for the Momte to arrive.

Unfortunately, the synthetic stock is not available in left handed Montes.
Old 10 September 2016, 21:36
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
I like simple and stock. I recently sold my simple shotgun, but I think it went to a good home. I need to get another pump.

Can't really leave anything laying around due to kids (who are comfortable around whatever) but the law would differ.
Sure did.

Stock so far. Still getting the hang of it but it is slaying clay at the range.

I'm not the biggest guy (5'5'') and I am staring to think I would be more comfortable with a shorter stock / butt on it. Suggestions?

Looking at Magpul SGA stock.. Not sure if I should go with a pistol grip though. So far I've tried both and have concluded I could learn either way, but should probably just pick one and train with it.

That, a Light, and one of those ammo racks on the side are probably all I will do it. Maybe eventually a sling.

It sits next to my bed. 870 on one side, M4 on the other. The better half likes to switch sides she sleeps on randomly so I never know which one I'll be waking up to but I'm pretty happy with both of them.

- Local

Last edited by Local; 10 September 2016 at 21:49.
Old 10 September 2016, 22:08
Administrator

I like shotguns with shorter LOP. I use quality recoil pads to make them fit me. That way if I ever have body armor or thick coats I just take it off or use a thinner one.

No a fan of adjustable stocks on shotguns.
Old 10 September 2016, 22:13
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I like shotguns with shorter LOP. I use quality recoil pads to make them fit me. That way if I ever have body armor or thick coats I just take it off or use a thinner one.

No a fan of adjustable stocks on shotguns.

SGA is adjustable, totally agree on shorter length of pull.

Just not sure if I should go pistol grip or not.

Primary use is home defense and clays.

- Local
Old 10 September 2016, 23:13
Deplorable

I concur on the shortened LOP as well.

All 3 of my 870's have wooden stocks.
2 of the 3 are cut down to 12&1/2" LOP.
The 3rd I have trimmed to 13".

I would advise against a pistol-grip for a general purpose shotgun.

There is a place and time for a pistol-grip on a gauge,
[Breaching & Entry-team applications]
The general purpose 'social' shotgun is best fitted w/a shortened traditional stock, and a 2pt. heavy-duty adjustable sling.
Old 11 September 2016, 03:42
Newbie shooter

Went with the Magpul adjustable length SGA stock. Non-pistol grip. ($99 shipped) - By adjustable I mean i can put larger or smaller butt pads on it. Its not telescoping or anything like that.

Also found a light with a mount for a cheap 39 bucks as well.

$140 in upgrades plus $400 in ammo.

Now to get to the range with it and start wasting some more clay.

Pictures to come when its all mounted.

- Local
Old 11 September 2016, 10:53
Been There Done That

The 11-87 has a 12 inch LOP stock from SpeedFeed. Need to do the same to the 870 some day.
Old 11 September 2016, 10:54
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
Last week I ordered a left handed Benelli Montefelteo with a 28" barrel. They are kind of hard to find around here. There are some with the 26" barrel, but I prefer the 28".

They say you can't wear a Benelli out, but I did. It took 20 years to do it. Great guns, and IMO, there is not a better semi-auto out there for lefties if your primary purpose for having the gun is hunting upland birds.

Has anyone here shot both the Monte and the M2? I'm tempted to switch to the M2 partly because you can get them with the synthetic stock. I could also get it right now and not have to wait for the Momte to arrive.

Unfortunately, the synthetic stock is not available in left handed Montes.
I have a Monetfeltro in 12 and 20 Ga and a camo M2 for Dove and duck hunting (That I have not done for 10 years). Excellent shotguns. The Montefeltro is the 1100 of the Remington world. Good looking shotgun you can feel good hunting with or shooting at the finest skeet ranges.
Old 11 September 2016, 12:32
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
Went with the Magpul adjustable length SGA stock. Non-pistol grip. ($99 shipped) - By adjustable I mean i can put larger or smaller butt pads on it. Its not telescoping or anything like that.

Also found a light with a mount for a cheap 39 bucks as well.

$140 in upgrades plus $400 in ammo.

Now to get to the range with it and start wasting some more clay.

Pictures to come when its all mounted.

- Local

Some things to consider about your light...

A cheap light will self destruct with any reasonable use. I have shot 2 Streamlights off of my Benelli M4. It now has a SF scout light.

For a pump gun, you should have the light mounted on the forearm so you have complete control over the light. Unlike the semi or carbine, the forearm is a part of fire control as you have to run the action to feed another round. You don't want to turn on your light and have to remove your hand from fire control to do it.
Old 11 September 2016, 18:27
Make a desert and call it peace.

Older SF incandescent stuff an be upgraded with Malkoff LED's for reasonable money. Malkoff stuff is bombproof and bright. I'm in the process of upgrading my M951 light to an LED after recent night fire experience. 2005 tech has been long surpassed. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 12 September 2016, 23:24
Been There Done That

Had a guy got in a little trouble. Had to unload his firearms. I bought an old Winchester 1200 just to hunt small game. It has the screw in winchoke tubes. It had a XX Turkey choke in it when I got it. I got another modified choke too. It's 2 3/4 chamber and plenty enough gun for spring gobblers. I have shot the model 1300's some... But my question is the fucking Winchester's jar your teeth with their recoil.

I have a Remington 870 special Turkey edition that shoots 3 & 3 1/2 shells that don't have the recoil the Winchester does.

Any explanation for this? At this point I think I will just use game loads in the Winchester. It really stomps my ass.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 September 2016, 11:46
Been There Done That

Also got an unused Mossberg 500 in. 410. Was thinking x-mas gift for my grandson in Georgia. It's not a youth model. Nice little piece. Maybe if he's bad Santa will keep it for himself

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 4 October 2016, 02:08
Confirmed User

If you are a left handed shooter using right handed shotguns, wear the goggle type of glasses.

A fairly recent eye exam revealed some holes and scarring in my left cornea. The optometrist who performed the exam referred me to an ophthalmologist for a surgical consultation.

Fortunately, I don't need surgery, but the likely cause of the scarring is powder burns from the right handed shotguns I used as a kid all the way up to my early 30's.
Old 4 October 2016, 02:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
If you are a left handed shooter using right handed shotguns, wear the goggle type of glasses.

A fairly recent eye exam revealed some holes and scarring in my left cornea. The optometrist who performed the exam referred me to an ophthalmologist for a surgical consultation.

Fortunately, I don't need surgery, but the likely cause of the scarring is powder burns from the right handed shotguns I used as a kid all the way up to my early 30's.

That is my situation. Can you elaborate on this issue and do you mean right cornea?

Our new posting rules