SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 4 October 2016, 23:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
That is my situation. Can you elaborate on this issue and do you mean right cornea?
No, the left cornea. I shot left handed, using right handed shotguns for years. I could feel the powder on my face, but it wasn't a big deal. When you're a kid, you don't give a F. I never wore glasses either. Apparently, some of powder residue was getting into my eye. The result, found decades later,
was scarring on the cornea. The optometrist thought there was also a small hole, which turned out not to be the case. I didn't have any symptoms and my vision is not affected. The concern was the likelihood of getting a detached retina.

The ophthalmologist, whom I was referred to ruled out pathology and was sure it was due to multiple traumatic episodes. Since I've had as many black eyes from fist fights, baseballs, etc on my right eye as I've had on my left, but no scarring issues on the right cornea, it was determined that shooting right handed shotguns was the likely culprit. And he's seen other cases like mine from guys with a similar history.

I was lucky I didn't need surgery. And the scarring on my cornea was entirely preventable. If I was shooting shotguns that didn't eject on the right side, right next to my face, or wearing good
glasses, there probably wouldn't have been any scarring at all.
Old 29 December 2016, 13:28
Shovel Whisperer

Wingmaster

So recent events caused me to have to clean out the old mans abode. Underneath his bed was the below Wingmaster laid on it's side with a nice coating of rust all along the side facing up; side presently presented here in the photos. I didn't take any before photos unfortunately, but present my paint job here for the Shotgun. I didn't do anything to the wood save for a big of washing with warm water and soap and a bit of ragging.

Gun

That sight channel was a bear to get clean and then painted (a bit of lint shown on the gun)

This side looked like crap
Old 29 December 2016, 17:12
Authorized Personnel

Wow. She cleaned up real pretty. What did you paint her with? She looks originally blued.

And I never find treasures like that; I guess I need to spend more time looking under beds.
Old 29 December 2016, 18:21
Shovel Whisperer

Haha. Yeah. Under beds. It was a crazy find. The rust had me baffled and stumped too. With the rust I took a 4" PVC pipe about 4 ft. long, capped both ends and cut out a longitudinal opening in the center making a PVC-bathtub I could dunk it in. Distilled Vinegar and water killed the rust and left it so I could see the pitting. lots of pock marks from the rust after cleaning.

I used the Dura Coat HK Black. I also bought a new Paasche Air Brush kit since my old Blue Point was fubar. The airbrush was a must have for getting under the sight channel nicely.

After painting, I took 0000 Steel wool and gently buffed over it. Sort of like I was gently-wiping the finish with very little hand pressure.
Old 29 December 2016, 20:04
Confirmed User

Many years ago when I was a kid working physical security in Germany during the Cold War I carried an M1200. The reason we carried those instead of M-16A1s was because our facility was very small and because of the population density in the surrounding area.

Like working on guns and thought about an M1200 replica project. Buy used Winchester Model 1200 online, buy the heat shroud bayonet lug assembly (they're available), clip barrel, etc. Thought it would be a cool project, unless of course they are actually available somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14017795_10208894517753829_43003716_n.png.jpg (82.6 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg lllll.jpg (4.0 KB, 444 views)

Last edited by X18BSOCAL; 29 December 2016 at 20:10.
Old 29 December 2016, 23:07
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post
Many years ago when I was a kid working physical security in Germany during the Cold War I carried an M1200.
My God but that thing was a POS. Maybe the ones you guys had were newer or something but the 4 we had in my company's arms room in Berlin circa '79-'80 were junk. They were taken to the range for fam fire in the winter one time, 50M range, shooting from the 25m line. Some pins fell out of one of them into a foot of snow. That was so much fun finding those. They were only ever used for the best one of the four to have that 2 foot long bayonet mounted on it and one of the two sentry's guarding the 4 M113's on IRF duty to have at sling arms. There were some MP's who were working some type of protective detail out of 287th MP Company at Andrews Barracks and they were using 870's with the factory over the top folder.

I know it's not what you carried but an Ithaca M37 with that same type shroud/bayo lug would IMHO be a better gun, you can build that "look" up just as easily as a 1200, and if you can find a serial # from 1973 (The serial number range for 1973 is 371287501 to 371366000 for that year, so you want one from that range or earlier) or before it will "pump fire" as you work the slide while holding the trigger back, they didn't add a disconnector until 1974.

HTH.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 30 December 2016, 09:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Haha. Yeah. Under beds. It was a crazy find. The rust had me baffled and stumped too. With the rust I took a 4" PVC pipe about 4 ft. long, capped both ends and cut out a longitudinal opening in the center making a PVC-bathtub I could dunk it in. Distilled Vinegar and water killed the rust and left it so I could see the pitting. lots of pock marks from the rust after cleaning.

I used the Dura Coat HK Black. I also bought a new Paasche Air Brush kit since my old Blue Point was fubar. The airbrush was a must have for getting under the sight channel nicely.

After painting, I took 0000 Steel wool and gently buffed over it. Sort of like I was gently-wiping the finish with very little hand pressure.
Thanks. You did a great job on her.
Old 30 December 2016, 13:03
Been There Done That

On the subject of M1200s:

I have to fire the Military First Article Tests (and Last Article tests too) when my employer sells 12ga rounds to the gov't. We're not required by contract to use Winchesters anymore-- just Mossbergs and Remingtons. I've fired tens of thousands (or more) of all kinds of different rounds out of all three. We also do in-process testing out of these same models of guns (I'm not the guy that shoots the in-process rounds). When they break, I fix them until they're too worn to salvage. Of the three, here are my opinions:
1. R870 (express). Cheap piece of shit. Easily the worst of the three mfrs. The old Wingmasters were beautiful, wonderful, craftsman's guns compared to the new Expresses or Mossberg's offerings. My bitch about the Expresses is the 870-jam, and the fact that the plastic parts in the trigger group fail, and the ejector hook fails sometimes too. The painted finishes flake and fall off (immediately) in big clumps.
2. Mossberg 500 (no longer required under certain contracts, so it's been a while since I've shot a brand new one... plus we've got dozens of them, so I'll probably never buy a new one). Not reliable. Broken firing pins, which is a fatal malfunction. I've also seen broken firing pin springs... but they were badly corroded, so that might have been an "us" thing, not a "Mossberg" thing.
3. Mossberg 590 (with the metal trigger group, rifle-sights, and metal safety). Best shotgun that I normally use. They're rough as hell, the action is gritty and tough (And when you're loading and shooting 600 breaching rounds as fast as possible, your pump-arm starts feelin' it). The big malfunction with this gun is that, since the M500 busted firing pins, I think Mossberg changed the heat-treat of the pins. I was talking to someone at Mossberg (I have to get on the phone and convince them to send me parts, because I don't have a gunsmith FFL, like they demand... I have to explain what we do on the phone, so I have some pretty illuminating discussions with the folks at the other end) who essentially confirmed this assumption. Now that the heat treat is different, instead of breaking, they peen on the back side and slip past the retaining pin. Which is ALSO a fatal malfunction, but you can fix it with a punch and a hammer (you just rotate the pin 180 degrees and push it back in-- It'll be fine for the next few thousand rounds). I have a drawer full of new bolt-groups and extra firing pins in my desk. You can tell it's happening because you'll get a failure to fire a 2 or 4 times before the fatal malfunction. If you have a failure to fire in a 590, followed by another one not too many rounds into the future, it's time to work on your firing pin. One of the guys I work with, about 4 years ago or so was going to attend a shotgun class put on by Louis Awerbuck (RIP). He wanted to treat himself to a new shotgun for the class and asked my opinion. I told him to buy a M590 with the rifle sights and metal parts. He was a little surprised-- because he was a Rem870 guy (I had always been one too), but he bought the M590 and attended the class-- and everyone else in that class had a R870, 1100, or 1187. The ALL failed at some point during the class (according to my bud). The only shotgun that made it through the class without issues was my buddy's box-stock Mossberg. The only other issues I've had were broken action pins, one broken trigger group, and the magazine tubes unscrewing (which causes the pins holding the action to break-- go figure).
4. Winchester 1200: I don't have to use these anymore, but when I did, they outclassed any of my Remington (except the ONE Wingmaster that we had back in the day). They work and keep working. Very heavy weightwise, and very heavy duty compared to the Mossbergs and Remingtons. I like them. But they're beasts to carry.

We've got an old Ithaca 37 around too, but I've never fired it (it's missing a stock), so I don't have an opinion... but I'd like to form one at some point. Anyone have an old model 37 stock for cheap?
Old 30 December 2016, 14:47
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
Your post
Wow, thanks for that very informative post. I have to admit my opinion of the .mil 1200 was based on only those 4 I mentioned, and who knows why but when the one was shedding pins when it was used (trigger housing? it's been a long time.....) it made a severely negative impression on me. Your experience far outweighs my singular experience with them.

I did at one time own a 590A1 Compact. No issues. At the end of the day these are all modified sporting weapons. I look forward to receiving my Siaga 12ga SBS back from Krebs Custom..... ;-)

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 30 December 2016, 15:38
Old Scroll

1890 Parker Brothers grade CH 12 gauge, 1 frame (smallest), 28" Bernard Damascus barrels. Back from three years at the stock doctor (was broken at the wrist) and a year at Turnbull's (had a few buggered screws)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161009_215453.jpg (10.0 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5796.jpg (23.7 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5792.jpg (30.1 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5795.jpg (17.7 KB, 386 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 30 December 2016, 15:41
Old Scroll

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5800.jpg (25.6 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5798.jpg (20.3 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5812.jpg (13.1 KB, 384 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 31 December 2016, 16:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
My God but that thing was a POS. Maybe the ones you guys had were newer or something but the 4 we had in my company's arms room in Berlin circa '79-'80 were junk. They were taken to the range for fam fire in the winter one time, 50M range, shooting from the 25m line. Some pins fell out of one of them into a foot of snow. That was so much fun finding those. They were only ever used for the best one of the four to have that 2 foot long bayonet mounted on it and one of the two sentry's guarding the 4 M113's on IRF duty to have at sling arms. There were some MP's who were working some type of protective detail out of 287th MP Company at Andrews Barracks and they were using 870's with the factory over the top folder.
Good and bad. The M1200 was procured by the U.S. military sometime after the mid '60s. Kind of wonder if that was a quick fill without an involved selection process that would have involved an evaluation of many more shotguns. As someone else already posted, the thing was relatively well built but was heavy. It did have a rotating bolt like the M-16A1. But also, the heat shroud bayonet lug assembly was made of thin of metal and many of them were broken nearly all the way through. I also remember that the trigger housing pin on some of them was very loose. I seem to remember that the PSD detachment for the flag officers at EUCOM used the Remington 870s like you describe.
Old 31 December 2016, 18:55
Confirmed User

I've been the owner of a Model 1200 since 1974 when my Uncle bought it for me. My mother was quite afraid of guns but she never said a word about me having it. I went into the Army in 1976 and it pretty much sat tucked away in the basement joists of my parents home until about 4 years ago. When I finally retrieved it I was happy to find that all three chokes and the choke changing tool were all present. In the short two years that I actually used it I enjoyed prowling the woods for cottontail rabbits, and it accounted for a few garden raiding varmints. As a medic in an infantry battalion at Fort Bragg I didn't have enough to keep myself occupied so I volunteered to help the HHC armorer. I was happy to discover that the units shotgun was a M1200 and on the next leave home I made a point of tearing down the components of my own, just because I could. Now it continues to sit unused in my own basement.
Old 23 January 2017, 06:18
Overseas Gunplumber

Remington 870. I bought this several years back when I was still in the PRK. It started life as the Desert Recon Tactical or something.

I masculined it after moving to AZ.

Surefire fore-end with LED light.
Side Saddle (Modified with Velcro)
Trijicon Ghost Ring sights.
Vang Comp Big Speed Safety
Factory Remington 14" barrel
Wilson Combat +1 Extension

client_PART_1426297248759_IMG_20150313_184018520.jpg

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 23 January 2017, 13:17
Been There Done That

Good looking scattergun. I actually just ordered another 870. Southern Ohio Gun had a SWEET deal on some LE trade-ins. Planning on keeping it slick and simple.
Old 27 January 2017, 21:20
Been There Done That

Fellas...I just got an 870 tactical. 18" barrel, front bead sight. 7 shot. Nice piece. Love the 870. Had my first when I was 15.

I don't shoot a helluva lot. Other than just shooting the hell out of it...what's the best way to break it in a little? Any tricks of the trade? She's a little stiff.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 28 January 2017, 21:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
Remington 870. I bought this several years back when I was still in the PRK. It started life as the Desert Recon Tactical or something.

I masculined it after moving to AZ.

Surefire fore-end with LED light.
Side Saddle (Modified with Velcro)
Trijicon Ghost Ring sights.
Vang Comp Big Speed Safety
Factory Remington 14" barrel
Wilson Combat +1 Extension

]

Nice, almost identical to the 870 that I'm waiting to get a stamp back on, mine was purchased as a Factory SBS that was originally sold to some county jail somewhere. Came with the speed
Feed stock, Surefire foreend, Mesa sidesaddle and such. I ordered the Vangcomp stainless follower and oversized safety. Should be a good scattergun once I finally get a hold of it.
Old 28 January 2017, 23:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Fellas...I just got an 870 tactical. 18" barrel, front bead sight. 7 shot. Nice piece. Love the 870. Had my first when I was 15.

I don't shoot a helluva lot. Other than just shooting the hell out of it...what's the best way to break it in a little? Any tricks of the trade? She's a little stiff.
Lube the hell out of it, and just keep working the action.
Old 28 January 2017, 23:24
Been There Done That

IMG_20170128_202052.jpg

LE trade in I just got. Replaced the synthetic furniture with wood. Shortened the LOP to 13" today. I need to clean it up a bit, but thinking I got a steal.
Old 29 January 2017, 03:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Lube the hell out of it, and just keep working the action.
Thanks. I was just wondering.. heavy gun grease was what I was thinking. Followed by a good cleaning.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules