Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 29 January 2017, 11:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Thanks. I was just wondering.. heavy gun grease was what I was thinking. Followed by a good cleaning.
Don't forget the action bars. Lots of friction happening there as well as they are pulled and pushed out of the receiver as the slide is "pumped". Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old 29 January 2017, 13:01
The Sagacious One

I met an Armorer during a trip to the CMP in Alabama. He told me no matter the weapon, if it slides, grease, if it rolls (spins), oil.
Old 29 January 2017, 13:22
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Don't forget the action bars. Lots of friction happening there as well as they are pulled and pushed out of the receiver as the slide is "pumped". Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I met an Armorer during a trip to the CMP in Alabama. He told me no matter the weapon, if it slides, grease, if it rolls (spins), oil.
Whew, I though it was just my cheap ass self.

But, anywhere I find two metal pieces rubbing against each other and where the bluing is starting to rub off, I put some regular old axle grease on it.

I do that to my M1A and shotgun. As long as there won't be a carbon buildup from gas.

Good so far.
Old 29 January 2017, 14:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Shortened the LOP to 13" today.
Did you do it yourself? If so, can you share your method? I assume you didn't just grab a hacksaw...
Old 29 January 2017, 15:16
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I broke the left side arm on my chinese made 870 copy within 2 mos. I had a buddy reweld it back onto the steel pump tube/pipe on both left and right sides- almost forming a gussetted bead of weld. That was 16 yrs ago and the thing just refuses to break.

The 18.5" barrel is too long and heavy. I cant sbs it because of the extended 7 rd. mag tube.

If I ever move from kali, im looking for a 14" bbl semi. with a sage extendable stock.
Old 29 January 2017, 17:51
Been There Done That

IMG_20170129_144756.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Did you do it yourself? If so, can you share your method? I assume you didn't just grab a hacksaw...
Old 29 January 2017, 17:52
Been There Done That

IMG_20170129_143811.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Measure twice, cut once. Use masking tape to prevent splintering. I used a Dremel tool to CAREFULLY reshape the recoil pad. I wouldn't do this to a $2,000 rifle or shotgun, but for a beater it works pretty well.
Old 29 January 2017, 22:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Okay. I have a story about that.

I have a Browning 10ga autoloader (Browning Gold 10, I think is the model). It's been a good reliable gun, unless I mess something up. A few years ago I was going to go waterfowling the next day, so that night I loaded my dekes, personal gear, ammo and whatnot into my truck, and spent the evening cleaning my 10.

I completely disassembled it, cleaned it thoroughly, then used some light lithium grease on the recoil mechanism.

The next day, which was cold as a witch's tit, I couldn't get 2 shots in a row to cycle. The mechanism was short-shucking, and failing to extract/eject. I had a lot of waterfowl traffic, so I had lots of opportunities to observe (and cuss) my shotgun. I figured it was the grease, which I had never used previously. So I took it home, cleaned the grease out of it, shot it full of CLP or TriFlow or some other gun-oil...

And it's never hiccupped again.

So, for MY shotgun, on a cold morning (and I'm not talking NOVA cold, or NC cold... We're well into negative digits here) grease is not my first choice. Your mileage may vary.
Old 30 January 2017, 17:18
Authorized Personnel

Damn.
Old 30 January 2017, 17:35
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
. . . S N I P . . .
So, for MY shotgun, on a cold morning (and I'm not talking NOVA cold, or NC cold... We're well into negative digits here) grease is not my first choice. Your mileage may vary.
True... some types of grease are apt to become quite thick with cold weather. I've not heard of white lithium getting thick, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it.

In sub-zero weather I use light oil, and that's it. Normal grease points get light oil. Normal oil points get light oil.

I don't go cyclic anymore, so I'm not too worried about it.

BTW, I'll bet it really sucks to be waterfowling and have a gummy gun

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 4 February 2017, 09:38
Been There Done That

I got the new 870 and lubed the crap out of it with lithium grease. Pumped it about 200 times and it does seem freed up some.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 4 February 2017, 10:29
The Sagacious One

Quote:
I think he meant M1's. I use very little if any lube on my shotguns, some light oil if anything.
Old 4 February 2017, 14:05
Been There Done That

I shot high & low brass through it. Buckshot too. It functions well.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 7 February 2017, 20:28
In From The East

I've used G96 for over 30 years. I have hunted ducks in sub-zero weather with no malfunctions in my 870's. My .02

http://www.g96.com/products/gun-treatment/#
Old 10 May 2018, 09:37
Bitter old man.

Anyone have a Mossberg 930?Pros or cons?
Old 10 May 2018, 09:42
I aim to misbehave

I can highly recommend the venerable Sears & Roebuck Ranger shotgun :-D

Only one I've ever owned. Been in my family since it was ordered from the catalog back when you could order a shotgun from the Sears catalog. I've never had even the tiniest hiccup from it. It's at my parents' place in Arkansas right now, but next time I head out there, I'll grab a picture of it.

While true:
Continue
Old 10 May 2018, 12:21
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post

I have a Browning 10ga autoloader (Browning Gold 10, I think is the model). It's been a good reliable gun, unless I mess something up. A few years ago I was going to go waterfowling the next day, so that night I loaded my dekes, personal gear, ammo and whatnot into my truck, and spent the evening cleaning my 10.

I completely disassembled it, cleaned it thoroughly, then used some light lithium grease on the recoil mechanism.

The next day, which was cold as a witch's tit, I couldn't get 2 shots in a row to cycle. The mechanism was short-shucking, and failing to extract/eject. I had a lot of waterfowl traffic, so I had lots of opportunities to observe (and cuss) my shotgun. I figured it was the grease, which I had never used previously. So I took it home, cleaned the grease out of it, shot it full of CLP or TriFlow or some other gun-oil...

And it's never hiccupped again.

Oil can also gun things up I’m cold weather. Oils and greases have specified operating temp ranges, you need to check what your oil or grease is specified for.

One cold morning, during my stint as a mortar A.G., the gunner told me to pour a little break-free down the tube in order to lube it. I followed his order.

The first round down range made a very different “bloop” sound as it fired. I looked up along it’s trajectory and there it was, very low and already turning over to start descending.

“SHORT ROUND!!!” We all hit the deck, waiting for explosion.

The AT section was in front of us and slightly to the right of our line if fire. The were firing from the prone, so the all just put their heads down except one Ranger. Leo E. quickly covered up his AG to protect him.

The round thunked on the asphalt that AT section was on, about 10 meters from the closest gun team. It did not detonate.

Art M., the platoon sgt., walked up to round and picked it up. He then motioned the gunner and me to move to his position. We both moved ,obviously very hesitantly. The platoon sgt yelled at to hurry up. Once there, we could see the bore riding safety was still in and the round was covered in brown gunk. That is when I learned you need to use the right lube for the temp. Thankfully the gunner’s and my screw up didn’t cost lives.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:49
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Anyone have a Mossberg 930?Pros or cons?
I have a 930 SPX. Love it, but would rather have the Blackwater version with the pistol grip stock. I may change it out someday.
Old 10 May 2018, 18:11
The atomic zit

Honest question, what’s the linchpin?

The length of the barrel, the number of rounds held, or the difference between pump and semi auto?
Old 11 May 2018, 17:09
Authorized Personnel

Pic is fuzzier than hoped for, but this pup is posing with the (unloaded) 870 I carried for a year and a half. Along with the Instamatic camera, I'm holding a (loaded) .38.

1969, northern Vietnam, on the Quang Tri river, the kids wash vehicles for pennies.

boy with gun.jpg

Our new posting rules