Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 May 2018, 18:45
Been There Done That

FYI. I've also found lithium grease to harden up in cold weather. Good for storage or break in. Colder weather = lighter lubricant.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 May 2018, 09:20
Authorized Personnel

When I duck hunt in the winter I run zero lubricant on my 11-87. My buddy has a Benelli SBE and he had his gun freeze up this winter when we were duck hunting the last day. it was about 3 degrees and 15-20 MPH winds out of the North. It was cold, but the ducks were flying great along Cayuga Lake. His firing pin was frozen in the bolt from the Rem Oil he had lubed it with, he could pull the trigger all day and it wouldn't strike the primer hard enough to ignite.
Old 12 May 2018, 09:41
Bitter old man.

SEAL-1 does well in the cold.
Old 12 May 2018, 10:22
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
It was cold, but the ducks were flying great along Cayuga Lake.
I recall watching the Apollo 11 moon landing on a 12" black and white tv next to a campfire on the NE shore of Cayuga Lake. I was 9, and remember still how beautiful that lake is.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 May 2018, 10:29
Deplorable

I spend my winters in the Dakotas and Iowa, and every so often - against my will - Nebraska.

Remington 870's for both deer and pheasant.
Brenneke Green Lightning slugs for deer.
Whatever heavy field load is on sale at Fleet & Farm for pheasant.

Both guns get G96.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 12 May 2018, 14:27
BTDT

Shotgun

I do have several shotguns. Rosie, is my favorite

https://youtu.be/eUe5lWuejxE

Good shooting
Old 12 May 2018, 14:41
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
SEAL-1 does well in the cold.
True statement
Old 12 May 2018, 14:57
BTDT

Shotguns

Personally, I prefer to use 000 (ie .36 caliber; reference, 9mm is .355) or 00 (ie .33 caliber) 3" buckshot. EVERYTHING, I have shot once w/those loads, drops & smokes. W/in 30 yds: running, @ night, behind significant brush...

The 3" 00 heavyshot Buckshot, is my preferred load. Shot heavier than lead & harder than steel. Though, $5 a rd, personal choice.

Pump shotguns, SBSs, stakeouts..perhaps, more specific applications. All dependent, on actual user skill.

Good shooting
Old 12 May 2018, 15:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
I do have several shotguns. Rosie, is my favorite

https://youtu.be/eUe5lWuejxE

Good shooting
Thanks, funny, you have a good sense of humor. I kind of but not really feel sorry for any drug addicts that break into your house.
Old 12 May 2018, 18:32
Been There Done That

Been wanting a FNH auto shotgun for awhile. All the reviews seems to. E very favorable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12 May 2018, 19:32
Shakin' the bush Boss

If it's cold enough to freeze the grease on my shotgun, my ass will be in the house. Problem solved.
Old 12 May 2018, 21:11
Been There Done That

Getting smart in your old age.

Old 12 May 2018, 23:16
BTDT

Shotguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Been wanting a FNH auto shotgun for awhile. All the reviews seems to. E very favorable.
Seems, a great deal of people make shotgun purchase decisions based on U-Tube videos; either, "tactical" or 3/2gun. Essentially, instructor zero rapping out 5rds of birdshot on steel or clay pigeons @ 3-5 yds ..well, and a great deal of other "tactical" fuckery.

If your planning on pumping out bird shot?..Get that gun.

If your planning on running 2 3/4 or 3" buckshot? No, not "low-recoil" gender neutral buckshot (ie ewwwww!). REAL buckshot!
Get, an FN SLP.

I'll run my SLP, against a Benelli w/3" buckshot..any day of the week. OK, maybe not Sunday.

I have several magazine fed 5.56, 5.45 caliber carbines. Not, what I am going to choose, in the 30yd defense spectrum. Amazing; @ least to me, what sells.

Personal choice.

Good shooting
Old 13 May 2018, 07:01
Been There Done That

Yep, the FNH SLP with 18" barrel (non tactical ) version is one I have been wanting. Great reviews, seems very reliable. Probably need to get a RMR sight for it as well though, as these days even ghost ring sights are a little blurry.

Old 13 May 2018, 07:16
Shakin' the bush Boss

So, I live in the middle of bumfuckd nowhere. At midnight last night I've got helos flying over at treetop level, sirens, cars running around hauling ass. All dirt roads out here mind ya. Cops wreck a guy out on a high speed chase about a mile up the road and he's on foot. So there I am sitting in the dark on my front porch at 1am with, wait for it.........

My 870 full of 00.

Still havn't caught the dude.
Old 13 May 2018, 07:40
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
So, I live in the middle of bumfuckd nowhere. At midnight last night I've got helos flying over at treetop level, sirens, cars running around hauling ass. All dirt roads out here mind ya. Cops wreck a guy out on a high speed chase about a mile up the road and he's on foot. So there I am sitting in the dark on my front porch at 1am with, wait for it.........

My 870 full of 00.

Damn. Good on ya - Lucky you.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Flatbedder; 13 May 2018 at 07:45.
Old 13 May 2018, 08:23
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, I'm in no shape for a fight right now 10 days after back surgery, but I can still run an 870.
Old 13 May 2018, 10:32
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in no shape for a fight right now 10 days after back surgery, but I can still run an 870.
12 ga. 870 with 00 buckshot....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCFPaAz6l8

Old 14 May 2018, 06:08
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:

My 870 full of 00.

Where's Sharky.....?

S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 14 May 2018, 10:26
BTDT

I remember back in the 80's, everyone in Battalion (EIB) seemed to have either a Franchi SPAS-12, or Benelli M1 Super 90. Then the M3 came out. I had a Mossberg 590.

Our new posting rules