SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 28 May 2018, 04:23
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Watched the first few episodes of season 2 today. Just as good as last season.
Did the same yesterday, and concur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 May 2018, 04:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I am into season 2 now. From what little I know about anything some of these foreign films put hollywood to shame, for sure. I am jonesing to finish my current episode , but I need to scurry off to work. I am thankful that I do not have to work at night worrying about getting shot. But I am armed , I work in a machine shop, everything is a weapon here.
Yes, agree. Had a thread awhile back discussing this. Korea, Norway, France and even now China are putting Hollywood to shame.

Old 28 May 2018, 07:44
Administrator

Season 2 is too long by 3 episdoes IMO. They appear to drag it out for melodramtic reasons that don't contribute to the overall story.
Old 28 May 2018, 08:29
Confirmed User

Pretty interesting insight on the show.
http://www(dot)foxnews(dot)com/enter...-and-jews.html
Old 28 May 2018, 10:05
Policeman Officer

Watching this show makes me miss the Middle East.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 28 May 2018, 10:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Ha....had the same thoughts. Reminds me of Iraq, Kuwait, etc.

Show takes me to a different time and place over ten years ago.

Old 28 May 2018, 10:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
I can't wait til I go back next month with the family. It's been 20 years, family has never been.
Old 28 May 2018, 10:58
BTDT

Is this a sort of updated version of "Sword of Gideon" / Op Wrath of God after Munich? I've run past it a lot on Netflix, but the subtitles turned me off - seems I can either read or watch (gum and walking is out of the question).
Old 28 May 2018, 11:03
Confirmed User

No, not at all. Nothing to do with Munich. It's about a unit in Israel that infiltrates Hamas and other terror orgs and carries out assassinations and stuff.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I can't wait til I go back next month with the family. It's been 20 years, family has never been.
Better get trained up on a Tavor.

Old 28 May 2018, 11:11
BTDT

Quote:
No, not at all. Nothing to do with Munich. It's about a unit in Israel that infiltrates Hamas and other terror orgs and carries out assassinations and stuff.
Nah, I wasn't saying it had to do with Munich - just modern tracking down BGs and killing them.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Better get trained up on a Tavor.
It's tempting to do a day of training, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Nah, I wasn't saying it had to do with Munich - just modern tracking down BGs and killing them.
Absolutely that. They do a very nice job not making political judgments.
Old 29 May 2018, 08:37
BTDT

Binged Season 1 yesterday - Eh, it's worth watching but not the 10/10 (to me, subjective) that I expected after reading this thread. Serious Eye-Roll moment with the 'Boaz' story line - that has never happened in real life (they either inadvertently, or purposely got the facts wrong in the example they gave).

Can somebody cooler than me, explain the fascination with empty chambers and finger f*cking the pistol?

I did love how they basically *are* Arabs to the PLO, and the story line is pretty good. Hot chicks is a plus. Season 1 looked like 480p (DVD) quality to me - Season 2 is much better at 1080p with DD+ for the audio. Watched Episode 1 of that.
Old 29 May 2018, 09:33
Confirmed User

There's a whole lot wrong, but it's tv, gotta have a story.

Do you really want to taint SOCNET with another empty chamber discussion? Cliffs: when the state of Israel was created, they had a hodge podge of weapons from everywhere, not a single system. Moreover, in the 1948 war of Independence, in many cases there were more fighters than weapons, so odds of having to grab one from a dead comrade or enemy and using it were high. The most expedient way to train people to use a wide array of guns is 'rack all of them all the time', and Israeli shooting doctrine has grown around that. Obviously it's not superior to be unchambered, but overall there are benefits to that system; US law enforcement, for example, could benefit a lot from it, or anyone else who works with a handgun, but doesn't shoot frequently. The flip side is super high speed israeli units don't shoot this way.
Old 29 May 2018, 11:51
Policeman Officer

Quote:
US law enforcement, for example, could benefit a lot from it, or anyone else who works with a handgun, but doesn't shoot frequently. The flip side is super high speed israeli units don't shoot this way.
Uh, no we couldn't. There may have been a reason for it once upon a time but it's stupid and pointless absent those conditions.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 30 May 2018, 07:53
Confirmed User

Not benefit from empty carry, but from the Israeli system. Empty chamber carry would be an awful idea for us LE.
Old 30 May 2018, 08:41
Policeman Officer

Ah okay. Which system? We have tons of guys going to Israel for training although it's mostly big picture stuff.

Old 30 May 2018, 09:48
Confirmed User

It's generally just called 'Israeli shooting', haha. It's an isosceles stance with modifications that remove variables. It's not the highest speed method, but it enables guys who may not shoot for months straight (ie Israeli embassy security in non-friendly countries, or many/most US police officers) to maintain a higher level of proficiency than they otherwise would, with less range time.
Old 30 May 2018, 09:54
Administrator

I don't want to derail a thread already derailed, but "high level" is a stretch.

The real goal is just to keep people from having an ND while carrying a loaded pistol.
Old 30 May 2018, 10:20
Confirmed User

'er', high'er'.

My last job had me shooting with a wide variety of LAPD and surrounding PD, on a regular basis. I've watched them at the local range. It's not good (It's been around a 25% hit rate for years now, but improving, some only shoot twice a year). Removing variables is generally a good thing, I think.

Our new posting rules