SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 29 May 2017, 13:52
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hollywood is now an actuary.

What I would really like the movie to address is how come all the pilots have really cool call signs (with the exception of Goose, but we all know what happened to him.)

In the real world Navy pilots have call signs like "Fungus" and "Booger".
Who has sold out and is now wining and dining everybody on behalf of Lockheed Martin?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 29 May 2017, 15:34
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Which brings us to Merlin, who was played by Tim Robbins.

He is now an anti war peace activist who has bided his time for 25 years and successfully infiltrated the highest reaches of Lockheed, with the ultimate goal of sabotaging their UAV programs.

Two birds, one stone.

I was reading some articles online, Val Kilmer is talking like he has a major role lined up already.

Something tells me that if any of the original cast members appear at all, it will be in blink-or-you'll-miss-them cameo roles.

Cruise is going to be looking to capture that all important 18-30 year old demographic, which means his supporting cast will only be a couple of years removed from high school. The majority of this movie's intended audience would probably look at the credits and say Val "Who"?

Last edited by Spinner; 29 May 2017 at 15:49.
Old 30 May 2017, 15:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Hollywood is now an actuary.

What I would really like the movie to address is how come all the pilots have really cool call signs (with the exception of Goose, but we all know what happened to him.)

No one gets a cool call sign until they're an O-6 and they give themselves a call sign. I've know way too many "Clueless" and "Puka" pilots to believe otherwise.
Old 30 May 2017, 17:05
Confirmed User

Tom Cruise(new callsign "Dancing Queen") is the Senior Instructor at Top Gun with the oddly high rank for a chief Instructor pilot of Fleet Admiral Guide(Scientology Spacefleet 5 star).

He has to learn to deal with a transgender Top Drone Gun student (call sign "They"), Social Justice Warrior First Class.

The plot revolves around Tom having to suppress his white privilege and accept the mandatory US Cultural Revolution "struggle sessions" despite his somehow not getting the memo about the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell".

That and the subplot revolving around Tom's character's confused attraction to Call Sign "They", but only if "They" signs a bulletproof NDA and can incubate the DNA spliced offspring of his and L Ron Hubbard's Galactic leadership cadre.

Senator Val Kilmer(new callsign "cheesecake") tells Space Admiral Tom that Tom Skerret(new callsign "Goldfinger") the CEO of Lockheed Martin has a board seat waiting for him if he just plays ball and goes on record supporting the problematic and underperforming capabilities of the long delayed F35 program referred to by its internal and randomly generated compartmentalised special project name "Frankenstein Abortion Platinum Thunder" or FAP-T

It all ends badly for Tom outside a Tijuana gay bar when he is outed by retired naval aviator Michael Ironsides(new callsign "Scanner") and leader of the illegal Tailhook social club insurgent network walking past with 3 dirty hot Mexican hookers saying "Thanks for flushing my Navy down the toilet you homo."

All under the surveillance of the good guy MSS/Peoples Liberation Army who have provided funding for, produced, and distribute the film.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 30 May 2017, 17:53
Policeman Officer

Call sign Xenu.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 30 May 2017, 19:55

The Onion got some opinions from their man on the street interviews.

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoic...nnounced-56127

Also, it would be a shame if they couldn't find a role for Wendy Wells-Gunkel, who is listed in the IMDB credits as "Volleyball Spectator". She's looking pretty good for 55, and she's a Navy Vet. Looks like she was serving at the time the movie was made and got a walk on role.
Old 31 May 2017, 02:28
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:

That will take a whole separate thread.
Old 31 May 2017, 14:58

I heard Pete Conrad hung the nickname/call sign of "Shakey" on James Lovell. Don't know if that occurred before or after they both joined the astronaut corps.

Maybe he gave it to him during a particularly cold night during survival training when he was shivering.
Old 31 May 2018, 16:25
Confirmed User

Looks like they started filming today and intend on a July 2019 release.

I will be the lame ass here and admit that I will see it in theaters.
Old 31 May 2018, 16:34
Old Scroll

^^^ You said it, not me.
I'm waiting for it to be on cable (not pay-per-view). Call it September of 2019, assuming an on-time release in July.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 31 May 2018, 20:07

As I said in an earlier post, I'm betting that Goose's widow Carol and Mav hooked up for a night of passion and the product of that brief union will show up in the movie (maybe even as a female aviator), looking for revenge against Maverick for abandoning her mother.

Carol herself will have died tragically in a car accident shortly after giving birth, thus making no appearance in the movie. For no other reason than the studio doesn't want to pay for Meg Ryan to be in the movie.

I could practically write a script for this flick in my sleep, there were so many lame cliches in the original that somebody could probably just cherry pick scenarios from any Tom Cruise movie over the last 30 years and plug it into this one.
Old 31 May 2018, 20:13
0311/8651

The movie has probably been 1/2 made already-Secret location.my retired Navy Commander friend, call sign- Joe Dirt- yes he has a Superbird
Old 31 May 2018, 20:18

Is he a consultant?
Old 31 May 2018, 20:20
Been There Done That

Kelly McGillis use to be hot. Then got all weird. I bet Maverick would still take the stones to Chuck regardless.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 31 May 2018, 20:26
Confirmed User

A close source mentioned they'd be filming it at a Navy base near the Mojave desert. I guess we shall see.

Whoever predicts the plot closest to the actual movie needs to win a prize.
Old 31 May 2018, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger0824 View Post
A close source mentioned they'd be filming it at a Navy base near the Mojave desert. I guess we shall see.

Whoever predicts the plot closest to the actual movie needs to win a prize.
Plot? What plot??
Old 31 May 2018, 20:32
Been There Done That

I wonder if McGillis still has that awesome Kharmin Ghia. I want.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 31 May 2018, 20:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

I gotta admit, I though the first one was pretty cool. Planes and chicks and poolside bars and smoking planes full of Libyans and shit. At the time I was probably slingin 1$'s at the Traffic Light and sweating my fucking nuts off at JRTC or something. I thought that was the cool part of the military.
Old 31 May 2018, 20:51
Red Headed Stepchild

Is there an official title yet? If not I have a couple.

Top Gun 2: Assisted living
Top Gun 2: The VFW years
Top Gun 2: Pentagon assignment
Old 31 May 2018, 20:58
Shakin' the bush Boss

Top Gun 2 - There I was, no shit.

Our new posting rules