Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 October 2017, 19:01
Moving Target

Holosun Military Grade

I see that Holosun is calling some of their optics" Military Grade" and I was wondering if they had a DOD contract. does anyone know?
Old 11 October 2017, 19:16
Bitter old man.

I know few happy Holosun customers. They seem to be well made for what you pay.
Don't know anything on DOD? Might be a marketing thing?
Old 11 October 2017, 20:32
Moving Target

right, ok was curious.
Old 11 October 2017, 20:38
Unemployed Stunt Double

Hmm..."Military Grade." Shorthand for "Made By The Lowest Bidder, Issued To Folks Who Have To Use What They Are Issued Unless They Want To Pay Their Own Money For A Better Product."
Old 11 October 2017, 23:32
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Hmm..."Military Grade." Shorthand for "Made By The Lowest Bidder, Issued To Folks Who Have To Use What They Are Issued Unless They Want To Pay Their Own Money For A Better Product."
I'm having flashbacks now to an old thread from years ago about boots.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 October 2017, 15:35
Voodoo guru

I was watching a streaming video from John McPhee (aka, Shrek, aka Sheriff of Baghdad, former Unit guy), and he's very high on Holosun. He likes EOtech, but commented that Holosun for the money, is money. If I recall, he said that he has a few that have lasted him for about 5 or 6 years of fairly hard use.

I was going to try one out a couple months ago, but ended up grabbing a Sig Romeo instead; simply because it was a damn good deal.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 12 October 2017, 20:08
Unemployed Stunt Double

If you are running irons with an absolute co-witness on a range gun, use whatever you like or want to pay for. Holosun and Lucid both make decent red dots at a good price. I've heard mixed reviews on the Sig red dots. EOtech's issues are well-documented and well-known. Anyone that still wants to use an EOTech, good for them.

If you are a LEO, and you are using an EOTech on a work gun...that's a civil lawsuit nightmare waiting for you.

For a work gun, use an Aimpoint.
Old 14 October 2017, 00:44
Been There Done That

holosun is making Sigs stuff IIRC
Old 15 October 2017, 11:50
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox33C1 View Post
holosun is making Sigs stuff IIRC
Sig optics are from China supposedly. That's what a disgruntled SIG employee was telling me.
Old 23 April 2018, 10:23
Sub Rosa

Yesterday I went to the Tampa Gun Show with the intent to pick up an optic for my AR15. I took my buddy as he has considerable experience with optics. Initially I was leaning towards Aimpoint or an EOTech. However, he told me to take a look at the Holosun products as he's feels they are decent for the price point. After perusing the floor and looking at everything, I realized I'd be fine with a simple red dot as I'm not in the man hunting business nor a range junky. Thus I bought a Holosun Paralow Red Dot Sight,2 MOA Dot. Paid $150 out the door. My buddy bought one as well. I like and appreciate simplicity.

We'll be heading out to the range in the next couple of weeks to zero. I'll post an AAR.
Old 24 April 2018, 06:22
Bitter old man.

They make a few green dots also. Be curious how their solar/battery optics hold up?
Old 24 April 2018, 07:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
If you are running irons with an absolute co-witness on a range gun, use whatever you like or want to pay for. Holosun and Lucid both make decent red dots at a good price. I've heard mixed reviews on the Sig red dots. EOtech's issues are well-documented and well-known. Anyone that still wants to use an EOTech, good for them.

If you are a LEO, and you are using an EOTech on a work gun...that's a civil lawsuit nightmare waiting for you.

For a work gun, use an Aimpoint.

You just changed my mind on a reflex for the M4. I was thinking EO tech, but the $$$$.

My Zombie Apocalypse prepper neighbor has several Aimpoints and swears by them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 24 April 2018, 07:15
FIDO

[QUOTE=1RiserSlip;1058720341My Zombie Apocalypse prepper neighbor.[/QUOTE]

You live next to DD?
Old 24 April 2018, 09:05
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
You just changed my mind on a reflex for the M4. I was thinking EO tech, but the $$$$.

My Zombie Apocalypse prepper neighbor has several Aimpoints and swears by them.
I recently tested the Comp M5 and liked it.
Old 24 April 2018, 14:44
Glorified Babysitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
They make a few green dots also. Be curious how their solar/battery optics hold up?
I have the HS503C with the solar panel on top on my personal rifle. I've had no issues with it over the past year or two. It hasn't seen too many hours on the range, but it's worked flawlessly for me thus far. I definitely love the fact that it has the option of a simple red dot or the EOTech-style reticle (which I prefer). Overall, I've been pleased with it.
Old 24 April 2018, 23:12
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gatekeeper View Post
I have the HS503C with the solar panel on top on my personal rifle. I've had no issues with it over the past year or two. It hasn't seen too many hours on the range, but it's worked flawlessly for me thus far. I definitely love the fact that it has the option of a simple red dot or the EOTech-style reticle (which I prefer). Overall, I've been pleased with it.
Uh-1 optics from Vortex....EOTech style reticle, multiple batteries excepted to include a USB plug on the optic for rechargeable batteries.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 25 April 2018, 16:17
Confirmed User

I have a comp m5 on my current primary carbine and love it. I had a T2 before that that likewise worked well. For RDS, I'd go Aimpoint on a carbine any day of the week. In fact, I need to pick up another M5 in a HK-height mount for my 416 upper. For a range toy, it'd be interesting to try out the holosuns, but for a gun I might use to do work, I'd go aimpoint (or a LPVO) any day of the week.
Old 26 April 2018, 09:20
Glorified Babysitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Uh-1 optics from Vortex....EOTech style reticle, multiple batteries excepted to include a USB plug on the optic for rechargeable batteries.
Very nice! My department recently issued us Vortex SPARCs. Not anything spectacular, but it's done the job and I've been happy with it thus far.

Our new posting rules