SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 December 2017, 14:07
Been There Done That

Gen 5 Glocks anyone ?

So seems the Gen 5 is being brought up in other threads .

So needs a thread of it's own. So who here has a. Gen 5? How does it compare to gen 4 and 3? Living up to the hype?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 December 2017, 15:53
Army SF

I have one. I sold my Gen4 a while back, so I got the Gen5 a month ago.

If you already own a G19/Gen4, there is no real need to buy the Gen5. I have shot both extensively (about 3,000 rounds so far through the Gen5, and years and years of shooting with the Gen4) and I have found no significantly discernible differences in performance.

A lot of what Glock did on the Gen5 can be done to a Gen4 with aftermarket labor and/or parts at a reasonable cost, if that is your preference.

I have not shot a G19 Gen3, so I have no comparative perspective on that.
Old 18 December 2017, 16:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator 37 View Post

If you already own a G19/Gen4, there is no real need to buy the Gen5.

A lot of what Glock did on the Gen5 can be done to a Gen4 with aftermarket labor and/or parts at a reasonable cost, if that is your preference.
I own a 19 in all of the 3 most recent generations. While I like the Gen5 the most, I agree with Proeliator. No real need to go buy a Gen5 if you have a Gen4. If you have a Gen3 with no work done to it, maybe consider it. The grip size is improved on the 4s and 5s.

I do like the feel of the grip, due to the lack of finger grooves, and that may be the hardest or easiest thing for someone to modify, depending on skill level with a soldering iron.

However, the trigger guard still needs to be undercut and while the flared magwell is a great step in the right direction,it doesn't compare to an aftermarket magwell. The U shaped notched, meant to help with pulling stuck mags, feels weird as shit and is rather sharp out of the box.

The beveled front is nice for aesthetics, haven't noticed a difference with holstering. The new finish does make it look like a nicer gun but I doubt any of us here care what it actually looks like (Whitebean, thinking of your glock here).

Overall, I like it and my wife liked it enough that it's now hers. That alone is a win for me. She had held the others but liked this one. Whatever, I'll just keep shooting my Gen4.
Old 18 December 2017, 16:25
Bitter old man.

Looks to me like an updated Gen 1. LGS heard the rumor the Gen4 was getting dropped?
Old 18 December 2017, 17:20

IIRC, the Gen5 has a 'tapered bore' similar to HK's MR556. Supposedly it's supposed to increase accuracy. Anyone noticed anything like that?
Old 18 December 2017, 17:30
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
IIRC, the Gen5 has a 'tapered bore' similar to HK's MR556. Supposedly it's supposed to increase accuracy. Anyone noticed anything like that?
Ransom rest would be the best way IMO. I think most folks wouldn't be able to see a difference shooting offhand?
Old 18 December 2017, 22:42
Corpsman Up!

Got the oldest son one for Christmas, he's the only "lefty" and really likes the lefty-friendly aspects. He also likes the removal of the finger grooves as he has meat mittens and the grooves on our Gen4's were a pain for him to shoot. As far as accuracy in comparison to all the Gen4's, 3's, etc, no discernible difference. They all wreck paper at POA. Trigger is somewhat nicer, the safety plunger is tapered on "front/back" and seems to make the trigger somewhat smoother. All in all, it is a nice pistol, still a Glock, everyone in the house has one, mags are interchangeable between everyone's EDC G19's.
Old 19 December 2017, 00:06
Confirmed User

I have been toying with the idea of going to rent one at the local range.

Even though I own a 21,22 and 23 (Gen 2) I have never been a fan of them and rarely if ever shoot them.

My biggest complaint was the finger grooves, and now that the newest iteration is sans finger grooves I am intrigued to try one out.
Old 19 December 2017, 01:42
Authorized Personnel

I picked one up about a month ago, and I love mine. I shoot pistol lefty, so Glock moving to an ambidextrous setup has been pretty nice. I also agree that the stock trigger feels smoother than previous generations. I just got around to dremeling out the trigger guard, and that's one of the big changes I wish Glock would make change standard...maybe one day. I guess it depends on what specific hype is making you lean towards picking one up?
Old 16 January 2018, 15:19
Bitter old man.

Anyone buy the G19X?
Old 16 January 2018, 17:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Anyone buy the G19X?
I hadn't heard of it until now. Honestly, after taking a look at it, I guess the question that comes to mind is...why? I don't understand the purpose of the full size grip and compact slide. Why not just carry a Glock 17 and get the extra barrel length? The ability to conceal is the same. Now if they had done a Glock 17 length barrel and a Glock 19 grip, that I could understand. I do like their new extended magazines though.
Old 16 January 2018, 19:23
Aww F**K it

Picked up a G19 the other day. Put these on it but
I haven't shot it yet. Too fucking cold.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...php?pid=GL101Y

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 16 January 2018, 20:19
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
Picked up a G19 the other day. Put these on it but
I haven't shot it yet. Too fucking cold.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...php?pid=GL101Y
They're small and compact but excellent pistols. Very comfortable, too. As far as shooting them, they're pretty decent as far as recoil is concerned (not too much imo). I've always used an extended mag for better grip when I shot them. And that's a really decent looking sight, btw.
Old 16 January 2018, 20:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Anyone buy the G19X?
Its like $200 more that a regular 17 or 19 and all you're really getting is a 19 slide on a 17 frame with a lanyard loop. I think the Gen5 would be a better option.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 16 January 2018, 22:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I hadn't heard of it until now. Honestly, after taking a look at it, I guess the question that comes to mind is...why? I don't understand the purpose of the full size grip and compact slide. Why not just carry a Glock 17 and get the extra barrel length? The ability to conceal is the same. Now if they had done a Glock 17 length barrel and a Glock 19 grip, that I could understand. I do like their new extended magazines though.
My only guess is they are hoping to make up for some of the money they didnít get from the Army contract. As underwhelming as Glocks releases are, there are still always enough die hard fans that will buy anything from them.
Old 16 January 2018, 22:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Its like $200 more that a regular 17 or 19 and all you're really getting is a 19 slide on a 17 frame with a lanyard loop. I think the Gen5 would be a better option.
Supposedly a better barrel as well...Is it worth it? I don't know. http://19x.glock.us/

from link above,,,"Additional design features of the G19X include the GLOCK Marksman Barrel (GMB) with enhanced polygonal rifling and an improved barrel crown for increased accuracy, ambidextrous slide stop levers and no finger grooves for better versatility, and a lanyard loop for retention. "
Old 16 January 2018, 22:32
Unemployed Stunt Double

I'll probably get a 19X, just for giggles. I am not hopping on the Gen5 bus just yet, though, due to the mag base compatibility issue (and because I have lots of Gen3 and Gen4 pistols that I am happy with).

My biggest pet peeve with the 5 is the mismatch at the front of the frame/slide...they bull-nosed the slide (which I like) but did not bull-nose the frame. Looks like crap. They did bull-nose the frame on the 19X. Looks much better, don't it???
Old 17 January 2018, 05:34
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
My biggest complaint was the finger grooves, and now that the newest iteration is sans finger grooves I am intrigued to try one out.
You're not alone there. S&W Shields can have that problem. I used an extended mag for that one, too for better grip and I plan to buy one in the near future for myself. My hands are too big to use a regular mag that holds 6 rounds without being a bit unsteady. But if I can, I'll try to find a grip for it. My idea for conceal carry at the very least is either a G19 or S&W shield 2.0 9mm. It has some bark but it's a very good gun and works well for it's intended purposes.
Old 17 January 2018, 07:02
Moving Target

I think Ill hold out for the 19 X myself. I wish they would just sell the 19 MHS, why would they leave out the safety on the X.
Old 17 January 2018, 07:06
Been There Done That

Do not like the cut out, to assist in pulling out the mag?, on bottom of the front grip on the Gen 5. Not needed and annoys my pinky finger.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Our new posting rules