Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 14 February 2018, 17:22
Genetically Deplorable

Hearing aids and rating increase for bilateral hearing loss

I currently receive 10% for tinnitus and 10% for bilateral hearing loss in addition to other crap.

A few weeks ago I had a hearing aid exam due to significant hearing loss in one ear, and moderate in the other. As a result I have been prescribed hearing aids. "Resound" is the brand and the the box had a price sticker on it for $7999! Bluetooth capable and can also use them as headphones with your smartphone. They are passing them out like candy up here in Minneapolis and St. Cloud VA med centers.

The audiology doc said her exam an Rx was not appropriate for a rating change, that I would have to get an actual hearing test from another provider that shows hearing loss. So I was hoping someone else has had an experience like this and submitted a claim for a rating increase for hearing loss, after receiving VA-issued hearing aids.

As always SOCNET member advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 14 February 2018, 19:20
Confirmed User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
I currently receive 10% for tinnitus and 10% for bilateral hearing loss in addition to other crap.

A few weeks ago I had a hearing aid exam due to significant hearing loss in one ear, and moderate in the other. As a result I have been prescribed hearing aids. "Resound" is the brand and the the box had a price sticker on it for $7999! Bluetooth capable and can also use them as headphones with your smartphone. They are passing them out like candy up here in Minneapolis and St. Cloud VA med centers.

The audiology doc said her exam an Rx was not appropriate for a rating change, that I would have to get an actual hearing test from another provider that shows hearing loss. So I was hoping someone else has had an experience like this and submitted a claim for a rating increase for hearing loss, after receiving VA-issued hearing aids.

As always SOCNET member advice is greatly appreciated!
You got your rating increase when you got the hearing Aids, you get free battery's an any repair for them Free. or replacement for loss, etc.
Old 14 February 2018, 19:23
Genetically Deplorable

Wildman, I'm not tracking. Could you explain?

My hearing loss is since I was initially diagnosed 5 years ago. In other words, it has gotten significantly worse since I was initially awarded 10%.
Old 14 February 2018, 20:18
Confirmed User

Quote:

My hearing loss is since I was initially diagnosed 5 years ago. In other words, it has gotten significantly worse since I was initially awarded 10%.
I have never seen a rating above 10% for hearing, What they do if it get worse like you have stated. Then you get the hearing aids, Free, no higher rating above the 10%. You can go to V.A. Gov an search for hearing loss rating's. I would not push it.
Old 14 February 2018, 21:10
Genetically Deplorable

Got it. Thanks
Old 15 February 2018, 06:17
Authorized Personnel

While the quality is good, the price tag that Uncle Sugar pays is ridiculous.

I'm on my second pair, the dog ate the first set. VA didn't blink when I told them of the loss.

To be honest, I rarely wear them as I enjoy quite.
Old 15 February 2018, 07:27
Been There Done That

I have a 10% hearing loss with tinnitus.

Tinnitus sucks. Constant ringing, CONSTANT. I had the 10% awarded upon retirement.

In 2008 the VA tested me again and gave me a set of Resound hearing aids that have 3 settings. One setting is supposed to subdue the tinnitus. It doesn't.

Huh?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 February 2018, 07:40
Ne Obliviscaris

I have a 10% rating for tinnitus and a 0% rating for bilateral hearing loss. I have noticed my hearing go in decline over the last 8 years since I was last tested and received my rating. Would I qualify for the hearing aids?
Old 15 February 2018, 07:42
Swimming Upstream

I have the same hearing aids...keep forgetting to use them, but then I'm not allowed to have bluetooth in the building...so there's that. Anyone have any advice - I don't wear them because my ears get really itchy.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 15 February 2018, 09:44
Been There Done That

Quote:

ramzmedic,

As your hearing worsens, look to the conditions below in order to figure out if VA will raise the percentage of your disabilities.
v/r
fkl

https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp

4.87 Schedule of ratings—ear.

DISEASES OF THE EAR
Rating

6200 Chronic suppurative otitis media, mastoiditis, or cholesteatoma
(or any combination):

During suppuration, or with aural polyps 10

Note: Evaluate hearing impairment, and complications such as labyrinthitis, tinnitus, facial nerve paralysis, or bone loss of skull, separately.

6201 Chronic nonsuppurative otitis media with effusion (serous otitis media):

Rate hearing impairment

6202 Otosclerosis:

Rate hearing impairment

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering 30
Occasional dizziness 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

6205 Meniere’s syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait
occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus 100
occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus 60
Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or
without tinnitus 30

Note: Evaluate Meniere’s syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

6207 Loss of auricle:

Complete loss of both 50
Complete loss of one 30
Deformity of one, with loss of one-third or more of the substance 10

6208 Malignant neoplasm of the ear (other than skin only) 100

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, radiation treatment, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based on that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

6209 Benign neoplasms of the ear (other than skin only):

Rate on impairment of function.

6210 Chronic otitis externa:

Swelling, dry and scaly or serous discharge, and itching
requiring frequent and prolonged treatment 10

6211 Tympanic membrane, perforation of 0

6260 Tinnitus, recurrent 10

Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204, or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.

Note (2): Assign only a single evaluation for recurrent tinnitus, whether the sound is perceived in one ear, both ears, or in the head.

Note (3): Do not evaluate objective tinnitus (in which the sound is audible to other people and has a definable cause that may or may not be pathologic) under this diagnostic code, but evaluate it as part of any underlying condition causing it.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155).
Old 15 February 2018, 19:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
I have a 10% rating for tinnitus and a 0% rating for bilateral hearing loss. I have noticed my hearing go in decline over the last 8 years since I was last tested and received my rating. Would I qualify for the hearing aids?
You have to get tested to see if you qualified to get them
Old 15 February 2018, 21:40
Confirmed User

I saw a chart with db level and ratings.

IIRC at Hearing Center of Excellence https://hearing.health.mil/ or Military Audiology Association www.militaryaudiology.org
Old 15 February 2018, 22:09
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
Everyone I know with the 10%/0% like yours gets them. You are service connected for bilateral hearing loss, regardless of how much (or little) they compensate you. Therefor as long as you show more hearing loss, they will provide the hearing aids. In other words, the qualification is being service connected for hearing loss, and demonstrating a further loss of hearing since last tested.
Old 15 February 2018, 22:13
Genetically Deplorable

Thanks for the links FKL and Rockville.
Old 15 February 2018, 22:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
So I was hoping someone else has had an experience like this and submitted a claim for a rating increase for hearing loss, after receiving VA-issued hearing aids.
I for one, would appreciate hearing from anyone who was able to increase their VA hearing loss rating.

I was involved in one Vet who started to suffer dizzy spells and went to 30% - but if anyone's high frequency hearing loss/ tinnitus alone gets them bumped over 10% please share. There are a lot of folks here who have been around guns, explosives, aircraft, etc., and could use the skinny. Thanks. fkl
Old 15 February 2018, 22:35
Genetically Deplorable

FKL,

Here is a good write-up about compensation for hearing loss:

https://www.hillandponton.com/eservi...loss-tinnitus/
Old 16 February 2018, 02:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
ramzmedic,

As your hearing worsens, look to the conditions below in order to figure out if VA will raise the percentage of your disabilities.
v/r
fkl

https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp

4.87 Schedule of ratings—ear.

DISEASES OF THE EAR
Rating

6200 Chronic suppurative otitis media, mastoiditis, or cholesteatoma
(or any combination):

During suppuration, or with aural polyps 10

Note: Evaluate hearing impairment, and complications such as labyrinthitis, tinnitus, facial nerve paralysis, or bone loss of skull, separately.

6201 Chronic nonsuppurative otitis media with effusion (serous otitis media):

Rate hearing impairment

6202 Otosclerosis:

Rate hearing impairment

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering 30
Occasional dizziness 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

6205 Meniere’s syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus 100
occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus 60
Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or
without tinnitus 30

Note: Evaluate Meniere’s syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

6207 Loss of auricle:

Complete loss of both 50
Complete loss of one 30
Deformity of one, with loss of one-third or more of the substance 10

6208 Malignant neoplasm of the ear (other than skin only) 100

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, radiation treatment, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based on that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

6209 Benign neoplasms of the ear (other than skin only):

Rate on impairment of function.

6210 Chronic otitis externa:

Swelling, dry and scaly or serous discharge, and itching
requiring frequent and prolonged treatment 10

6211 Tympanic membrane, perforation of 0

6260 Tinnitus, recurrent 10

Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204, or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.

Note (2): Assign only a single evaluation for recurrent tinnitus, whether the sound is perceived in one ear, both ears, or in the head.

Note (3): Do not evaluate objective tinnitus (in which the sound is audible to other people and has a definable cause that may or may not be pathologic) under this diagnostic code, but evaluate it as part of any underlying condition causing it.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155).

Fu King Lawyer: I will agree with some of this but what you are stating is other causes could be the main factor. Like Benign neoplasms of the ear, which is a cancer, which would be a different disability rating, Hearing impairment with vertigo Brain injury can also cause vertigo! In this case an Hearing loss.

The Brain Injury would be the main item for an increase in a disability claim, tinnitus 2nd
Old 16 February 2018, 09:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
FKL,

Here is a good write-up about compensation for hearing loss:

https://www.hillandponton.com/eservi...loss-tinnitus/
razmedic,

It is, and to my point, "Typical ratings for hearing loss are 0% or 10%, but severe or profound hearing loss can qualify for a higher rating."

If anyone on SOCNET has received a higher rating for service-connected hearing loss/tinnitus, please share. This is a constant problem and I am sure someone has valuable experience in pursing these claims.
Old 16 February 2018, 09:48
Old Scroll

Similarly, I've never heard of more than 10% for tinnitus or hearing loss.

I've got tinnitus ~ 10%
High freq hearing loss ~ 10%
After factoring in the VA math it adds up to only 10% combined.

Good luck

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 16 February 2018, 13:37
Been There Done That

10% for tinnitus is the max you can recieve, and that is for both ears.
I only saw one Veteran recieve more than 10% for hearing loss. The Vet was a Korean War Vet, the VA gave him 60%. Even with his hearing aids in it was like talking to the wall to him.

Our new posting rules