Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14 February 2018, 17:22
ramzmedic ramzmedic is offline
Genetically Deplorable
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 1,367
Hearing aids and rating increase for bilateral hearing loss

I currently receive 10% for tinnitus and 10% for bilateral hearing loss in addition to other crap.

A few weeks ago I had a hearing aid exam due to significant hearing loss in one ear, and moderate in the other. As a result I have been prescribed hearing aids. "Resound" is the brand and the the box had a price sticker on it for $7999! Bluetooth capable and can also use them as headphones with your smartphone. They are passing them out like candy up here in Minneapolis and St. Cloud VA med centers.

The audiology doc said her exam an Rx was not appropriate for a rating change, that I would have to get an actual hearing test from another provider that shows hearing loss. So I was hoping someone else has had an experience like this and submitted a claim for a rating increase for hearing loss, after receiving VA-issued hearing aids.

As always SOCNET member advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14 February 2018, 19:20
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: california
Posts: 1,597
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
I currently receive 10% for tinnitus and 10% for bilateral hearing loss in addition to other crap.

A few weeks ago I had a hearing aid exam due to significant hearing loss in one ear, and moderate in the other. As a result I have been prescribed hearing aids. "Resound" is the brand and the the box had a price sticker on it for $7999! Bluetooth capable and can also use them as headphones with your smartphone. They are passing them out like candy up here in Minneapolis and St. Cloud VA med centers.

The audiology doc said her exam an Rx was not appropriate for a rating change, that I would have to get an actual hearing test from another provider that shows hearing loss. So I was hoping someone else has had an experience like this and submitted a claim for a rating increase for hearing loss, after receiving VA-issued hearing aids.

As always SOCNET member advice is greatly appreciated!
You got your rating increase when you got the hearing Aids, you get free battery's an any repair for them Free. or replacement for loss, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14 February 2018, 19:23
ramzmedic ramzmedic is offline
Genetically Deplorable
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 1,367
Wildman, I'm not tracking. Could you explain?

My hearing loss is since I was initially diagnosed 5 years ago. In other words, it has gotten significantly worse since I was initially awarded 10%.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14 February 2018, 20:18
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: california
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Wildman, I'm not tracking. Could you explain?

My hearing loss is since I was initially diagnosed 5 years ago. In other words, it has gotten significantly worse since I was initially awarded 10%.
I have never seen a rating above 10% for hearing, What they do if it get worse like you have stated. Then you get the hearing aids, Free, no higher rating above the 10%. You can go to V.A. Gov an search for hearing loss rating's. I would not push it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14 February 2018, 21:10
ramzmedic ramzmedic is offline
Genetically Deplorable
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 1,367
Got it. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15 February 2018, 06:17
Ole crusty bastard's Avatar
Ole crusty bastard Ole crusty bastard is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Charlotte FL
Posts: 4,680
While the quality is good, the price tag that Uncle Sugar pays is ridiculous.

I'm on my second pair, the dog ate the first set. VA didn't blink when I told them of the loss.

To be honest, I rarely wear them as I enjoy quite.
__________________
...when in doubt...over prime.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15 February 2018, 07:27
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: W. Slope of Big Sewell Mtn.
Posts: 3,692
I have a 10% hearing loss with tinnitus.

Tinnitus sucks. Constant ringing, CONSTANT. I had the 10% awarded upon retirement.

In 2008 the VA tested me again and gave me a set of Resound hearing aids that have 3 settings. One setting is supposed to subdue the tinnitus. It doesn't.

Huh?
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15 February 2018, 07:40
Hostile0311 Hostile0311 is offline
Ne Obliviscaris
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Malta
Posts: 2,378
I have a 10% rating for tinnitus and a 0% rating for bilateral hearing loss. I have noticed my hearing go in decline over the last 8 years since I was last tested and received my rating. Would I qualify for the hearing aids?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15 February 2018, 07:42
Purple36's Avatar
Purple36 Purple36 is offline
Swimming Upstream
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 9,328
I have the same hearing aids...keep forgetting to use them, but then I'm not allowed to have bluetooth in the building...so there's that. Anyone have any advice - I don't wear them because my ears get really itchy.
__________________
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15 February 2018, 09:44
Fu King Lawyer Fu King Lawyer is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Wildman, I'm not tracking. Could you explain?

My hearing loss is since I was initially diagnosed 5 years ago. In other words, it has gotten significantly worse since I was initially awarded 10%.
ramzmedic,

As your hearing worsens, look to the conditions below in order to figure out if VA will raise the percentage of your disabilities.
v/r
fkl

https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp


4.87 Schedule of ratings—ear.



DISEASES OF THE EAR
Rating

6200 Chronic suppurative otitis media, mastoiditis, or cholesteatoma
(or any combination):

During suppuration, or with aural polyps 10

Note: Evaluate hearing impairment, and complications such as labyrinthitis, tinnitus, facial nerve paralysis, or bone loss of skull, separately.

6201 Chronic nonsuppurative otitis media with effusion (serous otitis media):

Rate hearing impairment

6202 Otosclerosis:

Rate hearing impairment

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering 30
Occasional dizziness 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

6205 Meniere’s syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait
occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus 100
Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait
occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus 60
Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or
without tinnitus 30

Note: Evaluate Meniere’s syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

6207 Loss of auricle:

Complete loss of both 50
Complete loss of one 30
Deformity of one, with loss of one-third or more of the substance 10


6208 Malignant neoplasm of the ear (other than skin only) 100

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, radiation treatment, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based on that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

6209 Benign neoplasms of the ear (other than skin only):

Rate on impairment of function.

6210 Chronic otitis externa:

Swelling, dry and scaly or serous discharge, and itching
requiring frequent and prolonged treatment 10

6211 Tympanic membrane, perforation of 0

6260 Tinnitus, recurrent 10

Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204, or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.

Note (2): Assign only a single evaluation for recurrent tinnitus, whether the sound is perceived in one ear, both ears, or in the head.

Note (3): Do not evaluate objective tinnitus (in which the sound is audible to other people and has a definable cause that may or may not be pathologic) under this diagnostic code, but evaluate it as part of any underlying condition causing it.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15 February 2018, 19:23
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: california
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
I have a 10% rating for tinnitus and a 0% rating for bilateral hearing loss. I have noticed my hearing go in decline over the last 8 years since I was last tested and received my rating. Would I qualify for the hearing aids?
You have to get tested to see if you qualified to get them
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15 February 2018, 21:40
Rockville Rockville is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,060
I saw a chart with db level and ratings.

IIRC at Hearing Center of Excellence https://hearing.health.mil/ or Military Audiology Association www.militaryaudiology.org
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15 February 2018, 22:09
ramzmedic ramzmedic is offline
Genetically Deplorable
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
I have a 10% rating for tinnitus and a 0% rating for bilateral hearing loss. I have noticed my hearing go in decline over the last 8 years since I was last tested and received my rating. Would I qualify for the hearing aids?
Everyone I know with the 10%/0% like yours gets them. You are service connected for bilateral hearing loss, regardless of how much (or little) they compensate you. Therefor as long as you show more hearing loss, they will provide the hearing aids. In other words, the qualification is being service connected for hearing loss, and demonstrating a further loss of hearing since last tested.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15 February 2018, 22:13
ramzmedic ramzmedic is offline
Genetically Deplorable
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 1,367
Thanks for the links FKL and Rockville.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15 February 2018, 22:17
Fu King Lawyer Fu King Lawyer is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
So I was hoping someone else has had an experience like this and submitted a claim for a rating increase for hearing loss, after receiving VA-issued hearing aids.
I for one, would appreciate hearing from anyone who was able to increase their VA hearing loss rating.

I was involved in one Vet who started to suffer dizzy spells and went to 30% - but if anyone's high frequency hearing loss/ tinnitus alone gets them bumped over 10% please share. There are a lot of folks here who have been around guns, explosives, aircraft, etc., and could use the skinny. Thanks. fkl
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15 February 2018, 22:35
ramzmedic ramzmedic is offline
Genetically Deplorable
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 1,367
FKL,

Here is a good write-up about compensation for hearing loss:

https://www.hillandponton.com/eservi...loss-tinnitus/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16 February 2018, 02:40
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: california
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
ramzmedic,

As your hearing worsens, look to the conditions below in order to figure out if VA will raise the percentage of your disabilities.
v/r
fkl

https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp


4.87 Schedule of ratings—ear.



DISEASES OF THE EAR
Rating

6200 Chronic suppurative otitis media, mastoiditis, or cholesteatoma
(or any combination):

During suppuration, or with aural polyps 10

Note: Evaluate hearing impairment, and complications such as labyrinthitis, tinnitus, facial nerve paralysis, or bone loss of skull, separately.

6201 Chronic nonsuppurative otitis media with effusion (serous otitis media):

Rate hearing impairment

6202 Otosclerosis:

Rate hearing impairment

6204 Peripheral vestibular disorders:

Dizziness and occasional staggering 30
Occasional dizziness 10

Note: Objective findings supporting the diagnosis of vestibular disequilibrium are required before a compensable evaluation can be assigned under this code. Hearing impairment or suppuration shall be separately rated and combined.

6205 Meniere’s syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait
occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus 100
Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait
occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus 60
Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or
without tinnitus 30

Note: Evaluate Meniere’s syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

6207 Loss of auricle:

Complete loss of both 50
Complete loss of one 30
Deformity of one, with loss of one-third or more of the substance 10


6208 Malignant neoplasm of the ear (other than skin only) 100

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall continue beyond the cessation of any surgical, radiation treatment, antineoplastic chemotherapy or other therapeutic procedure. Six months after discontinuance of such treatment, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based on that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of §3.105(e) of this chapter. If there has been no local recurrence or metastasis, rate on residuals.

6209 Benign neoplasms of the ear (other than skin only):

Rate on impairment of function.

6210 Chronic otitis externa:

Swelling, dry and scaly or serous discharge, and itching
requiring frequent and prolonged treatment 10

6211 Tympanic membrane, perforation of 0

6260 Tinnitus, recurrent 10

Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204, or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.

Note (2): Assign only a single evaluation for recurrent tinnitus, whether the sound is perceived in one ear, both ears, or in the head.

Note (3): Do not evaluate objective tinnitus (in which the sound is audible to other people and has a definable cause that may or may not be pathologic) under this diagnostic code, but evaluate it as part of any underlying condition causing it.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155).


Fu King Lawyer: I will agree with some of this but what you are stating is other causes could be the main factor. Like Benign neoplasms of the ear, which is a cancer, which would be a different disability rating, Hearing impairment with vertigo Brain injury can also cause vertigo! In this case an Hearing loss.

The Brain Injury would be the main item for an increase in a disability claim, tinnitus 2nd
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16 February 2018, 09:29
Fu King Lawyer Fu King Lawyer is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
FKL,

Here is a good write-up about compensation for hearing loss:

https://www.hillandponton.com/eservi...loss-tinnitus/
razmedic,

It is, and to my point, "Typical ratings for hearing loss are 0% or 10%, but severe or profound hearing loss can qualify for a higher rating."

If anyone on SOCNET has received a higher rating for service-connected hearing loss/tinnitus, please share. This is a constant problem and I am sure someone has valuable experience in pursing these claims.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16 February 2018, 09:48
B 2/75's Avatar
B 2/75 B 2/75 is offline
Old Scroll
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Black Mountains
Posts: 10,645
Similarly, I've never heard of more than 10% for tinnitus or hearing loss.

I've got tinnitus ~ 10%
High freq hearing loss ~ 10%
After factoring in the VA math it adds up to only 10% combined.

Good luck
__________________

.
"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16 February 2018, 13:37
Stopp700's Avatar
Stopp700 Stopp700 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,118
10% for tinnitus is the max you can recieve, and that is for both ears.
I only saw one Veteran recieve more than 10% for hearing loss. The Vet was a Korean War Vet, the VA gave him 60%. Even with his hearing aids in it was like talking to the wall to him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:09.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET