Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 28 March 2018, 21:12
Confirmed User

Thumbs up TRICARE Coverage for Medically Necessary Nutritional Needs

Some changes in TRICARE Coverage for Medically Necessary & Nutritional Needs. I wonder what they will cover.

March is National Nutrition Month. It's a smart time to focus on choosing healthier foods to fuel your body. But complete nutrition is complex and depends on your individual needs. People with certain disabilities or conditions may require special foods and vitamins beyond the normal healthy diet. Recent changes to the TRICARE benefit include updating the coverage for medically necessary foods and vitamins, and helping people with obesity get care to help manage their weight

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?t...ritional_Needs
Old 28 March 2018, 23:07
Cynical and Grumpy

I think this is pretty awesome. However, I wish they had more conditions that were “approved” for such coverage. I think this is a great start however, I think it’s interesting for example, that only inborn errors of metabolism are covered but not other metabolic disorders that result in subsequent or secondary conditions which ultimately lead to the need for special diets. Some people are born with such conditions or issues which lead to metabolic syndrome or even disorders, or cause conditions such as insulin resistance, glucose intolerance and the list goes on. These people are born that way and as a result follow ketogenic or paleo diets even gluten free and other related diets as a means to control their condition or prevent even more drastic developments such as actual diabetes, pancreatic cancer, etc. Many often also require special supplements or vitamins and the sort to compensate for nutritional deficiencies.

I am still on the fence as to whether I feel insurance and medical organizations should provide assistance so freely to those who are classified as obese UNLESS there is an actual underlying medical condition that can clearly correlate to their obesity. Such cases are more uncommon than many argue. Sure there are a list of conditions that can result in weight gain or fat accumulation but in these instances, a person must make a personal choice to change their diet or to continue to gain weight. There is also an argument to be made that there are now so many allergies and intolerances and conditions that can require special diets that how does one pick and choose what should be covered or not? It’s all evolving I suppose. Good on tricare for starting somewhere. I just know there are so many who have no choice but a special (almost always expensive) diet because for some reason it’s incredibly expensive to eat healthy and natural versus eating McDonalds and junk food every day. Sad really.

Our new posting rules