SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 4 May 2018, 09:11

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 Compact

Anybody played with these yet?
Seems like the CZ P10C, S&W M&P 2.0 Compact, and the Glock19 are in the midst of a good battle.
Thoughts?
Old 4 May 2018, 09:30
Confirmed User

I've shot my buddy's a few times and like it more than my G19. It just feels better. I have the M&P9 2.0 full size and the compact is on the short list when it comes to my next purchase.
Old 4 May 2018, 10:06
Confirmed User

I have the SW MP40C 1.0 (I guess they call it), but I have handled the 2.0.

Prior to buying it I had done a ton of googlefu and read all the articles relating to it. The constant theme was that it had a crappy trigger. I seen one for sale on a VA gun trading site and bought it on a whim. Looking back I paid too much but I was happy and suprised how much I like the trigger.

I have been looking at the new version and would like to try one in 9mm.

I just haven't made up my mind if I want a 2.0 or a FN Compact.
Old 4 May 2018, 10:23
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivyScum View Post
Anybody played with these yet?
Seems like the CZ P10C, S&W M&P 2.0 Compact, and the Glock19 are in the midst of a good battle.
Thoughts?
Really? What makes you say that?
Old 4 May 2018, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Really? What makes you say that?
Just because they are competing in the same class for the same type of costumer sales base. 9mm, affordable, similarly-sized compact, striker fired, polymer pistols that have come out at the same year(ish) (that is, if you consider the Glock19 Gen5 to be 'new', which I do, but there are some that don't think the changes are significant enough).

Many of the reviews I've read seem to compare those three, specifically to each other (probably because those three are the newest iterations in that class).
Old 4 May 2018, 13:30
Policeman Officer

Smith and Wesson is on the verge of a major change in how they run their training and development division which is probably going to hurt every facet of their business.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 May 2018, 13:32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Smith and Wesson is on the verge of a major change in how they run their training and development division which is probably going to hurt every facet of their business.

A personality-based change?
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 May 2018, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Interesting. Any more detail on this?
Old 4 May 2018, 13:36
Policeman Officer

No detail I'm willing to share now.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 May 2018, 16:32

I got one a month or so ago. I love it. I was carrying a VP9, and got this to try it out. As far as accuracy, I give a slight edge to the VP9, but as far as general shootability, how it points, and concealment, I give it to the 2.0 9c. The one complaint I have is that the grip is too aggressive. Nice to shoot, but it feels like 60 grit sandpaper against your skin. I took some 440 grit and slowly knocked the peaks off of it until I got the desired texture.
Old 4 May 2018, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittbulldogVA View Post
I got one a month or so ago. I love it. I was carrying a VP9, and got this to try it out. As far as accuracy, I give a slight edge to the VP9, but as far as general shootability, how it points, and concealment, I give it to the 2.0 9c. The one complaint I have is that the grip is too aggressive. Nice to shoot, but it feels like 60 grit sandpaper against your skin. I took some 440 grit and slowly knocked the peaks off of it until I got the desired texture.
Good to know. I bought one today- I will probably do something similar since I don't have a Superman grip.
Old 4 May 2018, 20:40
Bitter old man.

SOTB (RIP)used to always refer to Smith autos as paperweights lol.
Only thing I liked on the M&P was the grip. Other than that nothing really good to say.
Old 4 May 2018, 21:57
The Sagacious One

I am a certified S&W armorer and there are a bunch of iddy biddy parts in those pistols. I had a .45 ACP, eh, didn't do much for me, so I traded it r sold it.
Old 4 May 2018, 22:02
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Only thing I liked on the M&P was the grip. Other than that nothing really good to say.
LOL. . .

The M&P I had would have made a great paperweight. Perfect for that app in most every way.

The Shield I have is the exact opposite. And even though it's in .40, it works oh so much better than the Full Size .40 I had before it. Easier to shoot, easier to acquire target/re-acquire. Night and day like it's from another manuf. Makes no sense to me whatsoever that this slim weapon would perform so much better.

I bought it on a whim for the holster shop to use as a weight comparison/ test pig.

*Bonus* it works well for it's original design purpose.
Old 4 May 2018, 22:17
Administrator

Quote:
He was right.
Old 5 May 2018, 10:01
Make a desert and call it peace.

The M&P's interchangeable backstrap was doubtlessly the reason Glock introduced that feature.

I've had no issues with my M&P's, they're just another plastic gun. 1911's are for people who want to "Harley-ize" a pistol IMO. If I have to shoot Pookie in the face, I don't really care about a plastic gun getting finger banged by the fat, donut eater pogue hiding from patrol duty working the evidence locker. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 5 May 2018, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
He was right.
Quote:
New ones are pretty good. Seems like most people I've seen testing between the G19 and the 2.0 Compact are choosing the compact over it. Big strides, particularly in the trigger, although it's still not the best, it's certainly leagues over the previous. I think I would get an Apex upgrade if it ends up bothering me enough (doubt it will, but I have a feeling that future me will probably convince myself that its useful). I can use the money I saved by picking this up instead of a G19 on the trigger. Accuracy is great, shoots 'flat' making for fantastic followup shots, good stock sites. Really great shooter. Most seem to like the ergonomics over the Glock 19. Stock sites are really good- I don't know exactly what it is about them that makes it so easy to place accurate shots, but they're good enough that I won't bother upgrading those.

Never was a fan of the prior generation of Smith and Wessons, but I figure the people holding significantly negative opinions on it probably haven't shot the knew ones (makes sense, why would they?) Unfortunately, holding on to such opinions might make you seem naive or ignorant to those that have been using them lately. But then again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you sure don't have to change yours. Just saving your face if range time comes up and someone whips the 2.0 out and starts placing surprising groupings with it.
Old 5 May 2018, 20:42
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Just saving your face if range time comes up and someone whips the 2.0 out and starts placing surprising groupings with it.
HAHAA. . . .I got $3 no one here needs you to save their face. HAHAAA!
Old 5 May 2018, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
HAHAA. . . .I got $3 no one here needs you to save their face. HAHAAA!
Cool bro. $3... nice. Sure showed me... Whatever.
Old 5 May 2018, 23:08
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Cool bro. $3... nice. Sure showed me... Whatever.
Try not to get tore up about me making a *funny* outta your lack of SA.

Our new posting rules