SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 8 May 2018, 18:38
Confirmed User

Icon5 Recommendations for a new smartphone

Gents,

I think it is about time for a new smartphone. I currently have an iPhone 6 and have had it since it came out. Prior to that I had a 5, before that a 3GS.

I've never had an android product, but I am seriously considering one. My dad had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for a couple years and didn't like it for various reasons and went back to an iPhone.

While I really like the iPhone, I think I would like to try something new and get away from the Mac ecosystem, especially iTunes, which has become a bloated piece of shit.

I'm seriously considering a Galaxy S9. I went to an AT&T store today and messed around with one and I really liked it. It's a bit bigger than my 6, but not by much that it will bother me.

Any other recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8 May 2018, 19:00
Unemployed Stunt Double

Get a flip phone!

I stuck with flip phones until 5 years ago, when my flip phone couldn't get texts from smart phones, and most of my co-workers used texting for important comms. I miss my flip phone...
Old 8 May 2018, 19:14
Authorized Personnel

I made the switch to android and went back to iphone after a few months. I had issues with my work email in that the phone would completely wipe itself if too many incorrect password codes were entered. It wouldn't allow me to enter the passphrase to get past it...that combined with the data privacy issues that android phones have repeatedly had, I just stick with iPhone from now on. I currently have the new X, and it's outstanding. The features I want in a phone are likely different though...
Old 8 May 2018, 19:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I miss my flip phone...
LOL, know how I know youíre old?

CI concerns aside, Iím far from any sort of technophile, but the amount of things you can do on a smart phone is simply amazing.
Old 8 May 2018, 19:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I stuck with flip phones until 5 years ago, when my flip phone couldn't get texts from smart phones, and most of my co-workers used texting for important comms. I miss my flip phone...
Jitterbug flip phone?
Old 8 May 2018, 19:29
Authorized Personnel

I would stick with the iPhone. I have four guys in my office alone that have returned to iPhones after trying Androids for a contract period...not to mention my son who has done it twice.

You can't go wrong with the iPhone.
Old 8 May 2018, 19:30
Swimming Upstream

After seeing the exploits directed against Android phones I will only use an IPhone and would actually prefer a flip phone.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 May 2018, 19:46
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Jitterbug flip phone?
Too many confusing buttons on those...I only need two buttons, a 9 and a 1.
Old 8 May 2018, 19:48
Red Headed Stepchild

https://www.lifewire.com/best-cell-p...tizens-4125595
Old 8 May 2018, 20:01
Unemployed Stunt Double

Watch the Joe Rogan/Sebastian Junger podcast #1034...I see eye-to-eye with Junger on phones and social media.
Old 8 May 2018, 20:58
Administrator

I picked up a new S9+ on Saturday. So far I love it. I have never liked anything Apple.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 May 2018, 06:26
BTDT

Android exploits are overblown IMO, especially considering that 85% of the planet uses Android, vs 15% iOS. Statistically there are more, sure, but I have confirmation bias, so take that as you will

I'd recommend paying out of pocket and get a OnePlus that fits the budget. Then go with a pre-paid T-Mobile or StraightTalk SIM.

Believe me - You *ARE* paying full price (~$600) for that "free" or "$200" phone anyway, you just can't see it.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:39
Been There Done That

I phone and Verizon can handle anything you come up with.
After suffering with windows and my daughters hate Android also.
I only do Apple everything. no more crashes and updates that don't work .
Old 9 May 2018, 08:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Believe me - You *ARE* paying full price (~$600) for that "free" or "$200" phone anyway, you just can't see it.
Oh, I know. When I was looking at the AT&T store yesterday the salesman tried to get me to sign up for the monthly payments for an S9. After 24 or 30 months it would have totaled the "full price" of $789 that AT&T was selling it for; I found a brand new S9 on eBay from a reputable seller the other night for $620.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:33
Sub Rosa

For my own greedy self-interest keep buying Apple. I bought stock in 2004 and held, which was pre-Iphone and pre-Ipad...
Old 9 May 2018, 13:05
Been There Done That

Personally I like android and I am invested in the ecosystem to the point where I would not be willing to make a change to another platform.

I would consider how much money you have in Apple at this time before making a switch e.g. movies, music, apps etc.

If you do make the switch the Samsung Galaxy s9 is what I would recommend. It has the most powerful processor on the market, great screen, camera and it is waterproof.
Old 9 May 2018, 16:40
Confirmed User

If you are going with Android and don't have heartburn with Google, you might check into Project Fi. simple fee structure, only pay for data you use. I just used it in England and Ireland for no additional cost at all for service, including data. PM me if you would like a referral link for a small rebate.
Old 9 May 2018, 18:06
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Android exploits are overblown IMO, especially considering that 85% of the planet uses Android, vs 15% iOS. Statistically there are more, sure, but I have confirmation bias, so take that as you will

I'd recommend paying out of pocket and get a OnePlus that fits the budget. Then go with a pre-paid T-Mobile or StraightTalk SIM.

My recent exposure to certain communities and what is being done regarding Android's has led me to my conclusion and of course, their recommendations. And since 85% as you say uses Android...all the more so.. I'd rather do away with all cell phones, but that is not practical these days.

One Plus, you mean the Chinese company?
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 May 2018, 18:28
Been There Done That

Android guy here. I got a Samsung S8+. I bought it before the 9's came out. Does everything I need it to do and then some.Great camera. Never been dissaapointed with a Samsung.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 9 May 2018, 18:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
My recent exposure to certain communities and what is being done regarding Android's has led me to my conclusion and of course, their recommendations.
I just assume everything is monitored by someone somewhere.

Our new posting rules