SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 9 May 2018, 14:02
Life is simple, not easy.

Penn & Teller "Bullshit" (Amazon Prime)

Penn & Teller debunk a variety of bullshit that most of us have heard of, and in typical fashion they're known for, it is very entertaining and of course enlightening.

I have watched a few episodes from S1 so I can't provide a take on all 8 seasons (2003-2010) but it came to me highly recommend by 3 different people. Pretty good so far. I heard they might be doing some new shows in some capacity/venue.

If you want to browse the subjects covered you can take a peak at the IMDB website here: imdb.com/title/tt0346369/?ref_=nv_sr_2

One review:

Quote:
"When I say this is hilarious and informative, I mean it informs you of how stupid some people are. Penn and Teller do such a good job with this show, and do an even better job of de-bunking con-artists. Everything from Feng Shue to Magnet Medicine and these people who communicate with the dead (such as John Edward) are de-bunked. I just watched an episode where Penn and Teller got people to try out a "Mucas Mask". This was a supposed be a beauty treatment/facial massage in which people actually let somebody put snails all over their faces. You then see these people who have faces covered with nasty slime giving testimonials on how much better their wrinkles looked and how relaxed their face felt. This was something P&T set up just to show that these testimonials for other cons are not reliable. People can be so stupid, and Penn and Teller do a hilarious job of pointing out how gullible some people are. I reccomend this show to anybody."

Quote on why they're doing this show:

Quote:
Penn Jillette: Sure, we lie, cheat, and swindle. We've been known to deal in a bit of bullshit ourselves. So some of you may ask, "Why pee on someone else's parade?" One important difference: WE TELL YOU WE'RE LYING!
Old 9 May 2018, 14:06
Voodoo guru

Their episode on gun control is awesome

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 9 May 2018, 14:32
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

They have another show that is on intermittently on one of the ME TV stations called Fool Us.

They invite various magicians and illusionists to come up on stage in front of a live audience at some theater in Vegas and present some trick or illusion, at which point Penn and Teller will either say something to the performer in "Magician code/speak" that lets them know that they weren't fooled, or they come up on stage and present the Fool Us Trophy.

It has some pretty good acts, even the ones that don't fool P & T.
Old 12 May 2018, 20:47
Calix Meus Inebrians

Their Libertarian streak comes out in this show, and I mean that in a positive way. A lot of common sense comes forth.

Concur that their 2A episode is great. The episode on border security is a bit dated, but really good at highlighting the absurdity of the situation in such a short time provided.
Old 12 May 2018, 21:13
Been There Done That

Dome of the shows ok, but some are very biased and only show one side, give a real slant to one side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13 May 2018, 14:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I finally heard Teller speak for the first time, he's in Chicago involved with some play and was interviewed on WGN.
Old 13 May 2018, 14:21
Authorized Personnel

Been watching Bullshit from a long time back. Saw there act in Vegas a couple of years ago.

The episode about mattresses was good but disappointing. There really wasn't a gotcha moment, just "Wow how does this shit cost so much money?".
Old 14 May 2018, 09:13
Confirmed User

Their episode on colleges and higher education was awesome. Love that show. I just could justify subscribing to Showtime just for that show.
Now if it's on Amazon, I'm in....

Our new posting rules