Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 21 June 2018, 20:27
The atomic zit

I remember reading about V.A.P. and his struggle.

I pray he rests in peace, and his friends and family understand his decision.
Old 21 June 2018, 22:53
Did...did I do that?

Bloody hell. Grace and peace and strength to his family, friends, and colleagues.
Old 21 June 2018, 23:01
Confirmed User

RIP Travis.
Old 22 June 2018, 00:51
Sardonic fattist

V.A.P. actually reached out for help in this very thread!
And apart from a few "I'm with you bro's" he didn't get the help he needed. Just emphasises the fact that the issue is more complex than what a thread such as this, in its current form, can solve and a re-think is required if you truly want to help your buddies in need. A Type A vet is not going to plead.
Old 22 June 2018, 03:03
Nurse Ratched

RIP Doc

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 22 June 2018, 08:57
The Sagacious One

We need to go to them. Understanding the needed resources and difficulty in determining someone's actual mental state is hard to do on line. You also run the risk of ruining virtual and / or actual friendships if you are wrong. Sometimes you may seem like chicken little.

I'm sorry V.A.P. Hopefully you have found your peace.
Old 22 June 2018, 18:06
Anesthetized User

Damn, RIP.

Winter is here again oh Lord,
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer
Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I've been runnin' down this dusty road

I've been trying to make it home
Got to make it before too long
I can't take this very much longer
I'm stranded in the sleet and rain
Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again.
Old 22 June 2018, 20:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
And apart from a few "I'm with you bro's" he didn't get the help he needed. Just emphasises the fact that the issue is more complex than what a thread such as this, in its current form, can solve and a re-think is required if you truly want to help your buddies in need. A Type A vet is not going to plead.
I don't know how many may have reached out to him...I did, he did not respond. Below is what I sent him.

Damn brother.. I am really sorry to hear this.

I think there are no really good, quick answers. You need to focus on keeping yourself afloat. You need to come through this for yourself and your daughter. She needs a Father, she always will, you need to be there for her.

Things will get better.

My phone number 319 857 ####.

Terry
Old 23 June 2018, 07:57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
I reject your premise. First of all this thread is directed at those type A vets, not at the people who would offer help. Secondly, it's clear members were in closer touch than how you characterize it. Thirdly, no one could foresee what would happen to his daighter which appears to have re-triggered the issues that had been tamped down.
Old 23 June 2018, 09:06
Swimming Upstream

I agree with SB.

We can reach out and offer assistance-we can stay in touch-we can be available-but we can't fix other people. And the hurting person also has to be willing to accept offers to connect.

I did a quick search for V.A.P.'s posts and it looked like he said he was getting help. Subsequent posts on other threads up to May just seem normal-posting about things like sports tickets.

The fact remains we can help with connection, we can help with resources, we can be friends and partners on the journey, but we aren't capable of "fixing" anyone.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

Last edited by Purple36; 23 June 2018 at 09:16.
Old 23 June 2018, 15:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I agree with SB.

We can reach out and offer assistance-we can stay in touch-we can be available-but we can't fix other people. And the hurting person also has to be willing to accept offers to connect.

I did a quick search for V.A.P.'s posts and it looked like he said he was getting help. Subsequent posts on other threads up to May just seem normal-posting about things like sports tickets.

The fact remains we can help with connection, we can help with resources, we can be friends and partners on the journey, but we aren't capable of "fixing" anyone.

Well said.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 23 June 2018, 15:28
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't but a couple of days ago I read the book Thank You For Your Service. I don't know any of the people described in the book, and I never visited Iraq or Afghanistan, but it was haunting to me for two reasons. First, one of the widows in the book seemed like a direct parallel to how I think my own wife would have behaved. Second, some of the symptoms the guys in the book demonstrated were way too personally recognizable and made me seriously rethink some things. My bad days in uniform were not remotely combat-related, usually being the result of catastrophic equipment failures, remarkably bad decisions by those around me, or just randomly being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I knew that memory plays tricks and dreams are annoying, but I had not previously connected those past events with slowly increasing memory problems (I had just assumed that was a product of the aging process) and sleeplessness. I swallowed my pride and had a long talk with my wife about it, and it turns out that she is even smarter and more perceptive than my dumb butt had previously realized. I'm blessed to have her.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 23 June 2018, 20:45

Breaks my heart...RIP

Our new posting rules