SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 23 June 2012, 23:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane - Robert E. Howard
Puritan minister fighting evil on the dark continent? Win.

Currently reading The Burning Tigris, Peter Balakian. It's a history of the Ottoman purges of the Armenians at the end of the 19th c. , the genocide of 1915, the American response, and how it can be seen as the prototype for modern genocide campaigns.

Also the ninth book in Stephen Erikson's Malazan Book of the fallen series. I believe the title is Dust of Dreams. I like this series for all the same reasons guys like The Black Company G. Cook.
Old 24 June 2012, 02:23
Isiah 53

Cholesterol Control Without Diet! the Niacin Solution- by Dr. William B. Parsons Jr. For anyone battling high blood pressure/cholesterol issues a good read. not as good as the Bible but good info nonetheless. You young guns just wait ... your day approacheth. I'm not fat, I excercise (swim 1-2 miles 4or 5 times a week and medium weight lift) Learning that genetics has more to do with High Cholestorol and High blood pressure than diet and excercise. Niacin, a better option.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 24 June 2012, 17:02
Migratory Coconut

I'm on book 5 of the Malazan series myself Jomini. I liked the first 3 and thought book 4 (the one dealing primarily with the Tiste Edur) was pretty slow until some of the Crimson Guard started showing up.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 24 June 2012, 18:17
Russian Tycoon

The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo.

After watching Headhunters, I decided to pick up a couple of books from his Harry Hole detective series. It's a good summer reading: not too light (intriguing plot, good character development, lots of political and historic references, etc.), but not overly intellectual either (in other words, this ain't the Magic Mountain ). So if anyone is looking for a few books to read while on vacation, Nesbo could be a good choice. I am planning to order the rest of the novels from the series.
Old 24 June 2012, 19:55
Confirmed User

Suicide of a Superpower

Sometimes a tedious read but very sobering on where we're heading and how we got there. A great example of why anyone running for office should be required to be able to demonstrate their knowledge of World History, American History, and the past failures of social engineering experiments.
Old 24 June 2012, 20:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
I'm on book 5 of the Malazan series myself Jomini. I liked the first 3 and thought book 4 (the one dealing primarily with the Tiste Edur) was pretty slow until some of the Crimson Guard started showing up.
Ha agreed there. It picks up again, but there are still some plotlines that move more slowly than others in all the books. Five's saving grace was the Tehol/Bugg line, I think they're hilarious.

Are you a Black Company fan perchance?
Old 24 June 2012, 20:19
Migratory Coconut

I haven't purchased any of them yet but I've heard good things so some time in the future. Agreed on Tehol/Bugg. That was a good bit of comedy that had been missing since the Bridgeburners got smashed the way they did. Fiddler and Hedge were a great combo for comic relief in the first 2 books I thought.

Old 24 June 2012, 20:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

The Last Gunfight, by Jeff Guinn. Well-researched read on the historical backdrop to the Gunfight at the OK Corral.
Old 24 June 2012, 20:45
Nec Aspera Terrent

Pete Blaber - The Mission, The Men and Me.

Just started it reading it. I'm enjoying it and definitely learning too - a good read for sure.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 25 June 2012, 12:42
Marking time for eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
Pete Blaber - The Mission, The Men and Me.

Just started it reading it. I'm enjoying it and definitely learning too - a good read for sure.
I just finished this and returned it last week. I enjoyed the author's straightforward approach and relevant, ground level, real world examples. It was definitely worth the time to read and I had trouble putting it down to focus on my studies.

My library had to have a copy shipped all the way up from your library system in Toronto; that was the closest copy. Hell, with how things are, it's probably the one public copy in the entire province.

By the way, that crushed spider on page 68, that wasn't me

I suppose I could have just bought the book but I believe in the importance of public libraries. In the spirit of use it or lose it I try to get as much of my material through them as I can.

Enjoy the book!
Old 25 June 2012, 13:07
Policeman Officer

Just finished Game of Thrones. Awesome book. I wish I had read it before seeing the show, although the show is great too. The first season of the HBO show is essentially the first book in the series. Only minor differences between the book and the show. I'm about to tackle the next 800 page book.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 25 June 2012, 17:44
Nurse Ratched

Just started Codependent No More

Fixing people for a living is one thing but I need to learn to stop trying to fix everyone in my life at my own expense.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 5 July 2012, 20:35
Migratory Coconut

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku.

I've seriously been considering going back to school and finishing out the physics major I had initially started before switching to molecular bio. Reading this and the recent LHC articles in the last 2 years or so are just making that seem more enticing as time goes by.

Old 6 July 2012, 04:44
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
Just started Codependent No More

Fixing people for a living is one thing but I need to learn to stop trying to fix everyone in my life at my own expense.
LOL, you sound like a woman
Old 6 July 2012, 09:25
Bitter old man.

Fight Club.
Old 6 July 2012, 11:10
Cat Lover Extraordinaire.....

Job ads.....
Old 7 July 2012, 19:23
Ragnar Danneskjold

Just finished "You Have to Live Hard to Be Hard" by Chief Laguna. That is one hard motherfucker. I didn't even know it was available in hard copy. Since I don't own a Kindle/Nook/otherfakebookdevice, I had given up on reading it. Then, I saw it for sale in hard copy at OpsGear in SLC the other day and picked it up. Definitely on my recommend list.
Also re-read MSG Howe's "Leadership and Training for the Fight." I haven't read it in a few years, and I'm pretty sure the new edition. available from Barnes and Noble (I found it at the B&N in Layton, UT anyway), is a revised edition, since it was light years better edited and easier to read.
Am working on Paul Barrett's "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun." Interesting read, especially in regards to some of the in-house shenanigans at Glock, Inc. I read some excerpts in one of the gun magazines a couple weeks ago while at home, but couldn't find a hard copy til I went to Powell's in PDX last night. I'm still trying to determine if the author's overall tone is anti-gun or not (some parts are screamingingly anti-RKBA, while others are more ambivalent.....
I've also got a shit-ton of other stuff I'm working on, or working my way towards, all picked up on this lengthy road-trip to visit the in-laws.....
1) Infantry in Battle: From Somalia to the Global War on Terror, from the Infantry School, 2005
2)Warrior Mindset, can't recall the leading author, but Loren Christensen and LTC Grossman are listed as co-authors, so good or bad, it should be interesting.
3) I also found two old books/pamphlets at Powell's (Really, the highlight of going to that bastion of liberalism), "Personal and Family Survival" from the Office of Civil Defense with a publication date of November 1966. It even has someone's coffee stain on the cover, and a letter from the feds tucked inside. And, I found an original hard cover copy of "Manual of Physical Training" United States Army, 1914. (The last two will get read, thus my posting them in here, but were mostly bought because I dig the shit out of old books. I once found a hardcover musketry manual from the Army from 1863 in Powell's too.....)
Old 7 July 2012, 19:42
These ain't my pants.

Five Years to Freedom...for the second time.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 7 July 2012, 19:44
Not bright, but energetic

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character)

Interesting "biography" of Richard Feynman, the Nobel prize winning physicist. Dude never took fame or accomplishment too seriously. Loved the ladies and life in general.
Old 7 July 2012, 21:36
Nurse Ratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
LOL, you sound like a woman
Nah I just need to learn to start letting some people closest to me fail at life. I finally figured out by helping them I'm just enabling them to continue to live like fuckups. I have no trouble seeing that pattern in the welfare system though.

Current book is The 5 Love Languages of Children. This single dad of a 5 year old needs to learn to better talk to her. I was brought up by the old Sgt (dad) and the Old Captain (step dad) with a brother and male cousins. What I learned growing up doesn't fit with her sensitive personality and I want to do better.

Col. Robert W. Black

Our new posting rules