SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 27 July 2012, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
"Academic" history/geopolitics books? Any specific region? Narrow your search a little and I am sure you will get a few great recommendations. The membership of this forum is amazingly well-read.
I'm pretty well-read on Chinese/Japanese history and American ethnohistories, but I'd like some good suggestions on the rest of the world. More specifically, I think I would love anything to do with the Netherlands, and maybe some books on the spread of all forms of Protestantism. Maybe some good maritime/ship-specific Naval histories, too.
Old 28 July 2012, 08:19
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepieanarchy View Post
I'm pretty well-read on Chinese/Japanese history and American ethnohistories, but I'd like some good suggestions on the rest of the world. More specifically, I think I would love anything to do with the Netherlands, and maybe some books on the spread of all forms of Protestantism. Maybe some good maritime/ship-specific Naval histories, too.
The only two books on the Netherlands that I have laid my hands on were A History of the Low Countries by Paul Arblaster (an easy read but definitely high-level) and The Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall by J. Israel.

As far as maritime Naval histories, I got no advice for you here. I'm sure if you look through the older threads, you'll find a few interesting titles. Or just ask the guys here.
Old 28 July 2012, 08:52
Confirmed User

Okay, I don't normally purchase humor books, but since I try to support vets who publish, I bought Billy Allmon's (USN '69-'93) When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone the other day off of Amazon.

It's a little paperback (242 pages) with about ninety chapters, each consisting of a roughly 2-4 page anecdote from his time as a SEAL and spanning from his BUD/S experience all the way through to his years as an instructor. It's also one of those rare books that isn't polished by an editor, so the reader gets Billy's "unfiltered" and direct style.

The first 8 pages give a bit of UDT/SEAL background and history, but then the book jumps right into the "creative problem solving," practical jokes, and payback incidents which make up the bulk of the work.

Let's just say that while I was reading it, I heard a lot of, "What the hell are you laughing at?" from my husband, who was then himself laughing once I relayed the prank from the latest chapter.

From a BUD/S boat crew who filled their IBS with helium (which went spectacularly well until an instructor on the beach kicked it while they were in the water and it skidded 20' across the sand :-) to a platoon corpsman who printed up business cards as a gynecologist for the local working girls in another country, each chapter's an amusing vignette from his time in the Teams.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's not easily offended although, if you're reading this Mr. Allmon, I did feel sorry for the island goats.... LOL
Old 28 July 2012, 12:19
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Nancy attended Oxford on a Fulbright, and has had a fondness for that part of the world ever since.
No small fete there. So did you guys watch the Opening Ceremony in London last night? If not, let your wife know the Queen is now officially the new Bond girl.

Last edited by OutsideTheB; 28 July 2012 at 12:24.
Old 28 July 2012, 17:59
Authorized Personnel

Medieval Sieges & Siegecraft by Geoffrey Hindley.

Just picked it up today.
Old 28 July 2012, 23:19
Ragnar Danneskjold

Finished Couch's "Sua Sponte" last night. Re-reading "Ender's Game," amongst others.
Old 31 July 2012, 14:11
No one special

The Red Circle by Brandon Weber
Old 1 August 2012, 16:33
Confirmed User

Monster Hunter books by Larry Correia, I have rushed through these and thoroughly enjoyed each one.

This a series of books about an accountant, retired undergruond pit fighter, attacked by a werewolf and killing it barehanded is recruited into being a professional hunter of monsters. It has some good humor and their actions are overseen by a government MIB like operation.
Old 3 August 2012, 09:50
Bitter old man.

Judas Gate by Jack Higgins.
Old 9 August 2012, 10:10
These ain't my pants.

For those that enjoyed Stephen King's The Stand, I suggest 'Swan Song' by Robert McCammon. Very similar, very good.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 9 August 2012, 20:21

Currently reading Gates of Fire for the 20th time
Old 9 August 2012, 20:59
Send it....

Leadership and Training for the Fight by MSG Paul Howe US ARMY, Ret.
Old 10 August 2012, 02:28
Ragnar Danneskjold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkMist View Post
Leadership and Training for the Fight by MSG Paul Howe US ARMY, Ret.
I found the new edition at B&N a couple weeks ago in Utah. Is my memory failing me, or is this new edition a revision with the original and The Tactical Trainer combined? It seems longer than I remember the original being, and includes a lot of stuff from TT (not to mention, far better editing .

Still a masterful, concise work on the subject though.
Old 10 August 2012, 10:45
Confirmed User

How to Achieve Precision Tracking with Your Dog by Kris Kotsopoulos. (Unfortunately, it's not available from Amazon; you have to order it directly from von Forell kennels in Australia.)

It's an excellent book detailing a logical, step-by-step training method for producing a reliable tracking dog. I can't wait to try out some of his ideas on the new bitch I'm importing from the Czech Republic next month.
Old 10 August 2012, 19:06
Migratory Coconut

Back and forth between Michio Kaku's "Hyperspace" and Clive Barker's "Mister B. Gone"

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 10 August 2012, 19:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbGrunt View Post
Currently reading Gates of Fire for the 20th time
That one never gets old.
Old 10 August 2012, 20:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPTrainer View Post
I found the new edition at B&N a couple weeks ago in Utah. Is my memory failing me, or is this new edition a revision with the original and The Tactical Trainer combined? It seems longer than I remember the original being, and includes a lot of stuff from TT (not to mention, far better editing .

Still a masterful, concise work on the subject though.
Yes it is a combo. I was going to buy both From him right before The new one came out. He told me to wait until The new addition came out. Thats good Guy stuff right there.
Old 10 August 2012, 22:42
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Michio Kaku's "Parallel Worlds"
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 11 August 2012, 09:14
Bitter old man.

Locked on by Tom Clancy.
Old 23 August 2012, 13:16
Bitter old man.

Voodoo in Sadr City by Boone Cutler.

Our new posting rules