Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 21 December 2017, 01:48
Authorized Personnel

Any Access Wizards?

I'm having an issue in Access 2010 that I can't seem to figure out.

What I have set up, is an event log that brings up a window for each new event, the user fills in the required info, to include uploading an image (map of the event). The user then clicks on an 'email' icon that will generate a PDF report that will be attached in the email...pretty much a pretty version of a SITREP.

I'm having issues with the images...to include the Company logo. I can't upload the images via attachments, because the attachments will not display as an image when the PDF report is generated. So I have to upload them as OLE objects. This displays the image, but the quality is quite degraded. The company logo which is just displayed as a picture is also degraded on the report. Anyone have any solutions that prevent pictures from getting fuzzy in Access if they're uploaded as OLEs? I've been digging around the internet but everyone stores their images and pulls from that location. I need to be able to have the user take a quick screenshot of a map and then upload that image into Access. Coding in a library of assigned images is out of the question.
Old 25 January 2018, 00:15
The Sagacious One

A day late, but I am sure I can help you. Drop me an email or call in the AM if you still have issues.
Old 25 January 2018, 02:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
A day late, but I am sure I can help you. Drop me an email or call in the AM if you still have issues.
Hey TFG! Much appreciated but I managed to get this one figured out. I had to spend some time to figure out how to write the code in visual basic and change the image output quality, and it works beautifully. I'm quite proud haha. I managed to take a decentralized 10 step process, and turn it into a 3 step process that archives all data and reports for after-action and historical analysis. The database automates the reports, notification, and archiving which is stupid cool. The only thing I wish I could do is have multiple people working live in the same record similar to an EOC application, but doesn't look like Access is capable of that. My product will likely be a temporary solution but it will serve a great purpose until such a time it is replaced by something better.
Old 25 January 2018, 12:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I'm having an issue in Access 2010 that I can't seem to figure out.

What I have set up, is an event log that brings up a window for each new event, the user fills in the required info, to include uploading an image (map of the event). The user then clicks on an 'email' icon that will generate a PDF report that will be attached in the email...pretty much a pretty version of a SITREP.

I'm having issues with the images...to include the Company logo. I can't upload the images via attachments, because the attachments will not display as an image when the PDF report is generated. So I have to upload them as OLE objects. This displays the image, but the quality is quite degraded. The company logo which is just displayed as a picture is also degraded on the report. Anyone have any solutions that prevent pictures from getting fuzzy in Access if they're uploaded as OLEs? I've been digging around the internet but everyone stores their images and pulls from that location. I need to be able to have the user take a quick screenshot of a map and then upload that image into Access. Coding in a library of assigned images is out of the question.
I noticed that you use the 2010 version Access, If you can afford it get the 2016 version, I was sent a file in Access 2010, an use 2016 on my computer. It took me a little bit of work but got it working. Access 2016 has a lot of up dates that are good.
Old 25 January 2018, 23:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
I noticed that you use the 2010 version Access, If you can afford it get the 2016 version, I was sent a file in Access 2010, an use 2016 on my computer. It took me a little bit of work but got it working. Access 2016 has a lot of up dates that are good.
Unfortunately that would require an enterprise level change.
Old 26 January 2018, 09:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Hey TFG! Much appreciated but I managed to get this one figured out. I had to spend some time to figure out how to write the code in visual basic and change the image output quality, and it works beautifully. I'm quite proud haha. I managed to take a decentralized 10 step process, and turn it into a 3 step process that archives all data and reports for after-action and historical analysis. The database automates the reports, notification, and archiving which is stupid cool. The only thing I wish I could do is have multiple people working live in the same record similar to an EOC application, but doesn't look like Access is capable of that. My product will likely be a temporary solution but it will serve a great purpose until such a time it is replaced by something better.
Speak English please.
Old 26 January 2018, 23:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Speak English please.
It was like trying to understand hieroglyphs when I was teaching myself how to build/code it haha. Luckily the internet is a magical place, and I was able to find some code that somebody else had written and then adapt it to my specific need.

If anyone has any use for a database like this, let me know and I'll shoot you the Access file and show you how to tweak it to your needs.
Old 4 February 2018, 10:48
The Sagacious One

I have been using a new product called Quickbase, which is a web-based data management tool. Drop an email if you are interested.

Our new posting rules