SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #261  
Old 6 November 2018, 09:49
Silverbullet's Avatar
Silverbullet Silverbullet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bunker
Posts: 15,347
Longer sight radius.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 6 November 2018, 09:52
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Freelancer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LFOD
Posts: 6,345
Ability to shoulder for more stability.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 6 November 2018, 10:37
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,271
Want to give props to SB-Tactical.

Ordered a Brace direct because they had what I wanted, other places didn't. Didn't read the whole site, just ordered. Saw they offered a 30% discount to disability rated Vets. Emailed and said "hey, I f'd up, but is there any way to get a credit back, here's my paperwork" - the guy replied in a day and said no problem - credit came through the following day, Great service. So the SBA3 cost me $119.
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 6 November 2018, 13:58
btq96r's Avatar
btq96r btq96r is offline
Calix Meus Inebrians
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Improving my Foxhole
Posts: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Money saved? Sure...

Additionally, it's nothing to do with keeping up with cool kids or a fad, it's just better, plus you can still get good triggers.
I just don't see the weight savings worth shelling out what KeyMod or M-Lok go for, even on the secondary market if my quad rails are still serving the purpose. I don't spend too much on the gun parts themselves, if it's more than a few hundred a year (usually on xmas deals), I splurged. So, yeah, I'm saving the money for better things. I'm much happier having put Giselle triggers in my two ARs than I would be if I'd had a different handguard.
__________________
Moderation is for Canadians.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 6 November 2018, 14:56
Joker's Avatar
Joker Joker is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,457
Ok so found my first M-Lok issue, if you want to call it that. I dont know what exactly I want to do with it as far as ad-ons which I'm thinking just Iron Sights and Go but I do want something to make sure my hand doesnt go too far forward so I grabbed the Magpul vertical grip to use for now since they are cheap but now I have to back out like eight screws to get the hand guard off. On the plus side as SB mentioned I could just attach rails and do what I want.
__________________
A Co 1/75

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 6 November 2018, 15:00
Silverbullet's Avatar
Silverbullet Silverbullet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bunker
Posts: 15,347
Those little rail pieces work great and are very lightweight. You also get more ability to do any attachment distance or style you want with MLOK as compared to standard rails.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 6 November 2018, 18:12
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
...so I grabbed the Magpul vertical grip to use for now since they are cheap...
Been reading up on this all day. From what I gather, adding a VFG (90 degrees from bore axis) to something with an Over-All Length under 26" = an 'Any Other Weapon' registration. OAL is the end of the threads on barrel to the end of brace in it's most compact position. With a folding stock mechanism (Law Tactical, Deadfoot, Sylvain Arms, etc...), it is measured folded, to where the very end of the receiver extension ends. Angled or Hand stop attachments seem to be ok.

If going the folding route, make sure Length of Pull stays under 13.5" (Bow in trigger to very end of brace). Buffer Tube may need some modifying to keep it from extending past 13.5".

That's what I was reading all day anyway.
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!

Last edited by Polypro; 6 November 2018 at 18:19.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 7 November 2018, 12:52
Joker's Avatar
Joker Joker is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Been reading up on this all day. From what I gather, adding a VFG (90 degrees from bore axis) to something with an Over-All Length under 26" = an 'Any Other Weapon' registration. OAL is the end of the threads on barrel to the end of brace in it's most compact position. With a folding stock mechanism (Law Tactical, Deadfoot, Sylvain Arms, etc...), it is measured folded, to where the very end of the receiver extension ends. Angled or Hand stop attachments seem to be ok.
Interesting, glad you posted this thanks. I haven't installed it yet so I'll put it on my regular AR and look at other options; there are other hand stops on the market that are not VFG.
__________________
A Co 1/75

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 7 November 2018, 22:14
havok88 havok88 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Been reading up on this all day. From what I gather, adding a VFG (90 degrees from bore axis) to something with an Over-All Length under 26" = an 'Any Other Weapon' registration. OAL is the end of the threads on barrel to the end of brace in it's most compact position. With a folding stock mechanism (Law Tactical, Deadfoot, Sylvain Arms, etc...), it is measured folded, to where the very end of the receiver extension ends. Angled or Hand stop attachments seem to be ok.

If going the folding route, make sure Length of Pull stays under 13.5" (Bow in trigger to very end of brace). Buffer Tube may need some modifying to keep it from extending past 13.5".

That's what I was reading all day anyway.
I donít even understand how they come up with laws like this. Other than to make felons out of good people, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 8 November 2018, 11:49
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
I donít even understand how they come up with laws like this. Other than to make felons out of good people, of course.
Don't even try - look at how they classify what a pistol is. Everyone except NRA Bullseye and Cowboy shooters, are federal felons (Cops, Mil, Us...)
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 21 November 2018, 07:04
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,271
Well, these things are fun as hell - thanks for this thread. Of course, I forgot how expensive this hobby is
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 22 November 2018, 23:35
wowzers wowzers is online now
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,739
Can someone comment on the legality of owning two uppers to one pistol lower? The example I'm thinking of would be a 5.56 upper and a .300 AAC.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 23 November 2018, 03:19
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
It took me a long time to come around to seeing the value in such a weapon
What changed your mind?
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 23 November 2018, 10:23
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
What changed your mind?
It's a .223/5.56 with a barrel (even at 7.5") longer than a full size pistol, with (probably) a reflex or red dot on it - and if not, a longer sight radius with irons. A brace and optional sling too. Using modern ammunition (my research indicates that the 62gr Federal Fusion MSR is pretty good for .223/5.56 AR Pistols) you can get acceptable expansion/penetration down to 1700fps - which is about 200yds. You have 30rds in the pistol, and can easily carry more in a "covert" type case in the vehicle. With a folding adapter that all comes in at about 17" OAL.

Nice chart here on actual firing using chrono and gelatin from a 10.5" - subtract ~300fps for a 7.5":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh7mo25hq6...rels.xlsx?dl=0

.223 Fusion MSR w/7.5" (estimated 2200fps) 50yd Zero - 1715fps at 200yd:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...+Create+Chart+

But they're still a niche product for 9x% of us - even at 17" folded, you aren't going to carry it while grocery shopping. So you're limited to being able to get to it while in/from the vehicle. It's like LE with a pistol ON them, and a long gun in the vehicle I guess. Very nice in the house though.
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!

Last edited by Polypro; 23 November 2018 at 11:19.
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 23 November 2018, 12:50
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
It's a .223/5.56 with a barrel (even at 7.5") longer than a full size pistol, with (probably) a reflex or red dot on it - and if not, a longer sight radius with irons. A brace and optional sling too. Using modern ammunition (my research indicates that the 62gr Federal Fusion MSR is pretty good for .223/5.56 AR Pistols) you can get acceptable expansion/penetration down to 1700fps - which is about 200yds. You have 30rds in the pistol, and can easily carry more in a "covert" type case in the vehicle. With a folding adapter that all comes in at about 17" OAL.

Nice chart here on actual firing using chrono and gelatin from a 10.5" - subtract ~300fps for a 7.5":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh7mo25hq6...rels.xlsx?dl=0

.223 Fusion MSR w/7.5" (estimated 2200fps) 50yd Zero - 1715fps at 200yd:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...+Create+Chart+

But they're still a niche product for 9x% of us - even at 17" folded, you aren't going to carry it while grocery shopping. So you're limited to being able to get to it while in/from the vehicle. It's like LE with a pistol ON them, and a long gun in the vehicle I guess. Very nice in the house though.
No argument here. A while back I built a .300 BLK 6.25" barrel SBR, purely for the hell of it, that is growing on me as a truck/home defense weapon. Tough to decide which I like best, shotgun, pistol, SBR/pistol, fortunately I don't have to.

Was more wondering what changed TFGs mind since he wasn't a fan toward the beginning of the thread.

Appreciate the links. Good data.
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 23 November 2018, 22:51
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Freelancer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LFOD
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Can someone comment on the legality of owning two uppers to one pistol lower? The example I'm thinking of would be a 5.56 upper and a .300 AAC.
Shouldn't be an issue at all.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 23 November 2018, 23:18
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Policeman Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 12,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Well, these things are fun as hell - thanks for this thread. Of course, I forgot how expensive this hobby is
I'm sorry for not warning you, oh wait.
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 24 November 2018, 08:13
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm sorry for not warning you, oh wait.

LOL - you did your due diligence I laugh when I remember going "eh, one of those $550 ones will be fine"

But like you said, you have every single piece just the way you want it now.
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 25 November 2018, 14:42
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Getting off the lawn.
Posts: 14,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
What changed your mind?
Figuring out the manual of arms and firing techniques. I originally tried using it like an MP5K on a sling. Now that the King is Dead, we can shoulder them. I use a reverse C clamp where I hook my fingers over the rail and the thumb under. Trying to do it the normal way bunched your arms up and makes it difficult to shoot and handle.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 26 November 2018, 02:46
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
reverse C clamp
As in, the little finger side of your hand is facing downrange?

I googled reverse C clamp and this popped up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghbWQmR.jpg (35.5 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:33.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018