SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 12 July 2018, 22:05
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Hadn't heard that.
Possibly because I just made that up...
Old 13 July 2018, 15:11
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
What comes to mind; is, motorcycle header wrap on that portion of the can that is going to be under your hand.

Would it slow down cooling? I would suspect it would; but, you won't burn the fuck out of your hand either:)

Good shooting
I thought of that, so are you saying put in in the bottom part of the can, or are you saying put it on the inside of the rail, near the bottom of the can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Those Bowers silicone suppressor wraps can be cut to length and handle the heat pretty well. Maybe they wouldn't fit under the handguard, but having them on the exposed parts of the can could mitigate burning the shit out of yourself/others during transitions and other tight movements. They're also pretty cheap, considering some of my fabric covers run about $75.

http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/g...lencer-covers/

Iím down for this, I couldnít find the thickness so I could measure and make sure it would fit under the rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Magpul makes a suppressor cover, but I don't think it will fit under that rail. It's on their website.
The MagPul guy that gave a class at OTOA showed me one. Itís big, but it would work perfect with a MK18 type of AR. He offered to let me T&E one, havenít gotten back in touch with him.

Quote:
Hilarious, hoping for a retort..

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 13 July 2018, 15:12
Administrator

Quote:
You just made the rist, fucker....LOL
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 13 July 2018, 17:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Even this dumb Jarhead knew you were joking.....
Old 13 July 2018, 17:40
Make a desert and call it peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKRqAsJ1N6k

I use a decent amount of header wrap type insulation, I moonlight in the automotive field. I think trying that would be a PITA. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 13 July 2018, 22:29

How about a wrap of kevlar? Melts above
800*F. Spray the outside with some black
bbq rattle can.
Old 3 September 2018, 16:32
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
How about a wrap of kevlar? Melts above
800*F. Spray the outside with some black
bbq rattle can.
https://www.railscales.us

So I ordered 2 of these, they seemed a bit over priced to me. But, on the other hand, ďyou get what you pay forĒ so Iím hoping these help a little with the heat transfer from the ďbleed-offĒ gas block and suppressor to the handrail. Honestly, with gloves on, itís not that bad. I think these will make it much more comfortable on those long, extended training days at the range.

They are made out of G10, so I did some reach of that material. Pretty interesting stuff, allegedly it does well with heat transfer. Once I get them on there and get a good day at the range in, Iíll report back.

Anyone with experience with them?

Old 3 September 2018, 16:45
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Anyone with experience with them?
Not with that particular brand. I have similar products by VZ and KAC on a couple of my ARs. G10 seems to do well for thermal insulation.
Old 4 September 2018, 13:26

Been using Surefire on my 5.56; looking for the best suppressor for 458. Thanks a bunch.
Old 4 September 2018, 13:44
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Been using Surefire on my 5.56; looking for the best suppressor for 458. Thanks a bunch.
Do you really need "the best," or do you just need a quality suppressor?
Old 4 September 2018, 14:23

Haha, good thing I did not ask for the finest, like the old Crystler Cordoba commercials Ricardo Montalban used to do. I suppose quality will suffice ��.
Old 4 September 2018, 16:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

What specific loading? .458 SOCOM? If .458 SOCOM, only certain companies make cans for that (Bowers, AAC, Innovative Arms come to mind). You can get a suppressor rated for .50 BMG (a lot more manufacturers making those), but those cost quite a bit...
Old 4 September 2018, 16:56

Looks like Wilson makes one; used enough of Billís parts on my 1911 in the 90ís, why stop now?

Another question that may belong on another thread; ever try using a surefire 60 round mag with .458?
Old 4 September 2018, 22:14

Apparently it is a negatron on the SF mags...
Old 4 September 2018, 23:19
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Apparently it is a negatron on the SF mags...
I've never used the Surefire mags, and won't use them (due to a little lesson I learned using the high quality steel HK mags with my trusty Mk18...unnecessary magazine weight leads to a broken magazine release). You should try the 40 rd PMAGs with the .458, though. I suspect that would work.
Old 25 September 2018, 00:34
Navigating

Quote:
I thought of that, so are you saying put in in the bottom part of the can, or are you saying put it on the inside of the rail, near the bottom of the can?

Iím down for this, I couldnít find the thickness so I could measure and make sure it would fit under the rail.
I ordered that silicone cylinder after I did some measurements. Either I havenít figured out how to use my micrometer yet, or I misread the dimensions, but I couldnít get that SOB under that rail more then an inch. Then I tried using a razor to cut of every other rib, went inside the rail a half 1/2.Ē Figured if I cut off ALL of them it would lose all the cooling speed.

Learning the ins and outs of the use of suppressors I ordered/installed a SuperlativeArms adjustable/bleed-off .750 gas block. Best 100 bucks Iíve spend on a rifle part. Fires everything from my 35gr TNTs (reloads), 62gr TAP, 55gr..name a manufacturer, awesome part. Iíve never had so little loss of sight picture, fallow-up shots are so quick. Rifle still gets dirty, no doubt, but no watery eyes, and the rifle doesnít burn out lube nearly as fast.

Iíve got a bunch 3,000(+-) of suppressed rounds through the Noveske SS, super happy with how accurate it has stayed. I havenít noticed a difference at all from install to know. I did a bunch of research on 10.5 barrel zeros and settled on the 36 yard zero. From 25 yards to 100, if I remember correctly, thereís Only been about a 6Ē point of aim/point of impact spread.

Old 26 September 2018, 09:52
Administrator

Quote:
I did a bunch of research on 10.5 barrel zeros and settled on the 36 yard zero. From 25 yards to 100, if I remember correctly, thereís Only been about a 6Ē point of aim/point of impact spread.

Why would you zero at 36 yards? Is that a point of aim / point of impact zero, or an offset?
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 26 September 2018, 21:28

Yeah, my 10.5 sbr is zeroed at 200m/218yds; repeat zero is about 37yds. I prefer the minimal shift on my holds out to 250.
Old 26 September 2018, 22:26
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Why would you zero at 36 yards? Is that a point of aim / point of impact zero, or an offset?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttB1kUXfJE

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...gr-tap-barrier

Shawn Ryan breaks it down pretty good. I stumbled on his video while researching a good zero range for our new 416s. Haven't been issued one yet (hoping I'm the last one to get a 416, honestly).

I started out getting all the info for our duty ammo (.223 TAP 62gr Barrier). Then went over a teammate's and stole his chronograph and got a velocity average (placed 10-feet from the muzzle). Hornady actually has the velocity for this round and ballistics for the exact barrel I run(Noveske 10.5 stainless), which had I seen it, I wouldn't have wasted time getting velocities. I got, almost literally, the same average speeds. Then threw in all the data into Ballistic AE (I attached a screenshot).

I'm certain 50% of our guys couldn't hit accurately enough to get good enough groups to adjust a 50-yard zero, let alone a 200-yard or 100-yard zero (especially with MROs). But, I really like the 200-yard zero after looking at it, good suggestion.

They settled on a 50-yard zero for the dudes recently issued 416s, we're still waiting for HK to ship the rest of the order. My rifle is still zeroed with the 36er. From 0 to 125 yards, there isn't much to adjust. Mindset being, I haven't seen/heard of any LE engagements farther than 125-yards with an M4/AR.
Attached Images
File Type: png 36-Yard zero in Ballistic AE.png (353.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by 256; 26 September 2018 at 22:28. Reason: Added link for Hornady 62gr Barrier
Old 27 September 2018, 09:59
Navigating

Quote:
I'm certain 50% of our guys couldn't hit accurately enough to get good enough groups to adjust a 50-yard zero, let alone a 200-yard or 100-yard zero (especially with MROs). But, I really like the 200-yard zero after looking at it, good suggestion.
Duh, I should do a ďsimulatedĒ 200 yard zero with the guys.

Our new posting rules