SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 September 2018, 21:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Thanks dude, I bought 100 from Natchez about an hour ago.

I was amazed to see it in stock. The web is filled with pages of no one finding brass.
Sometimes I forget that a lot of people dont think of 100 rounds as an afternoons shoot.

If you decide to try cast bullets in it let me know. I have a 250 grain flat nose mold made for the .38-55. I use it for light loads in the .375 H&H.

Some don't like to use cast in micro groove rifling.
Old 11 September 2018, 21:46
Anesthetized User

I have read that pistol brass needs little if any trimming. Will the straightwall 375 brass wear the same way?

I have read that pistol brass lasts far longer than bottleneck brass does.

I assume there are cast bullet makers that I can buy from or better to cast your own?

Thanks gents.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 11 September 2018, 22:04
Six Minutes!

Straight wall cases do last longer usually. The failure will come with split necks. Best way to prolong life is to minimize belling when you flare during reloading, and minimize aggressive crimping. I doubt the case will grow in length much on you.

Casting your own is great due to supply issues (there won't be any), and you can customize your alloy/lube to minimize leading the bore. Buying already cast bullets are inexpensive and usually plentiful if you shop on sites that cater to old fuddy duddy shooting.

Seven Ö six Ö eleven Ö five Ö nine-aní-twenty mile today
Four Ö eleven Ö seventeen Ö thirty-two the day before ó

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 11 September 2018, 22:05
Confirmed User

1 yes
2 it can
3 yes, and I think yes. Depends on time, space, and amount of shooting you want to do. You can also size the projectile to your gun.

This might be another thread.

Old 11 September 2018, 22:13

Dang! Now thats a selection! How do you source your lead? I get mine from the yard/range.
Old 12 September 2018, 10:55
Confirmed User

Lead is where you find it, or is that Gold? oh well it works the same.

Anywhere you can. Your Cali laws and rules I wouldn't want to guess at, but the best bet is order it. Reloading boards, casting boards always have someone selling. Wheel weights are more iron and zink than lead these days so a 5 gal bucket MIGHT be 25% useable lead.

Range lead aint what it used to be either. when the police world was .38/.357 range lead would be mostly factory cast lead wadcutters and simiwadcuters, alloyed nice and hard with enough tin and antimony to keep them solid at those velocities without leading. Well, with out too much leading. It was already for casting no additives needed, clean it, melt it, flux it, cast it, boom done.

Modern range lead is jacketed, so no use wasting money on adding expensive tin and other additives to the lead, so you melt out soft lead. you will need to add things to make it cast well. Things you will have to buy, so buying alloy from a smelter can make it easy.

If you are near the ocean, boat ballast is usually soft lead. You might look there.
Old 12 September 2018, 11:55

Thanks for the tips! I also noticed I needed to update my profile. The property we had accumulated 100 years of rounds scattered around. I used these to blend with the lead I had.
Old 12 September 2018, 16:28
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
A 35 Whelen in a mauser is odd.
A whole bunch of US 1903 and 1917 rifles (ie Mausers) were turned into Whelens back in the day. S/F....Ken M

Addendum: If ya know anyone in the X-ray imaging world, there's a ready source of lead. Dead soft, but add some tin and antimony plus a little arsenic and you have a workable alloy. Collecting casting metal is a scrounger's art.
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 12 September 2018, 16:49
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim416 View Post
It is only a Mauser in the fact that it is a Mauser action (GEW98). Everything else is other. ER Shaw barrel, Timney trigger, custom stock etc.
You and I might be brothers from other mothers...

My 35 Whelen is a BRNO VZ24 (Mauser 98) with a Shaw barrel, timney triger, and a custom stock...

My 416 Taylor that is getting built right now is also a 98 Mauser (Argentine 98) with a Timney trigger, custom stock, Shaw barrel, etc..

I've also built a 270 on a 98 action (another VZ24).. and a 7x57 on a 96 mauser action (small ring)...

Love me some mauser... Far and away my favorite platform for doing a custom build...
Old 12 September 2018, 16:53
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
A whole bunch of US 1903 and 1917 rifles (ie Mausers) were turned into Whelens back in the day. S/F....Ken M

Addendum: If ya know anyone in the X-ray imaging world, there's a ready source of lead. Dead soft, but add some tin and antimony plus a little arsenic and you have a workable alloy. Collecting casting metal is a scrounger's art.
The 300 H&H I mentioned on the page previous was built on a 1917 action..

From the 1920's until present day there is no telling how many "hunting rifles" have been built off of old WWI and WWI war horses.. in just about every caliber conceivable from centerfire .22's up to .458 win mag...

They dont build actions like they used to... if you can find german or US manufactured actions built prior to WWII.. they are among the strongest, most durable, etc that can be found..
Old 12 September 2018, 17:14
Make a desert and call it peace.

Well, materials science has advanced a little...

What the old rifles do have is craftmanship. Men's skilled labor was more readily available. The reason the penny pinching, pogue office vermin at Winchester wrecked the Model 70 is due to trying to avoid paying craftsmen. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 12 September 2018, 17:36
exquisitus asinus

completely agree...

Its not that a CNC machine cant do it more precisely or that there arent better steels, etc available..

Its far more about the quality of the labor put in and the quality of the materials chosen for the task..

you wont find a plastic trigger guard on a 1937 production VZ24...

but.. amazingly enough.. you will find a plastic trigger guard on a current production Heym O/U combination gun.. that retails for more than $5K..

as well as on a Ruger American that retails for less than $400...

Times, for better or for worse... have changed..
Old 12 September 2018, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
You and I might be brothers from other mothers...

My 35 Whelen is a BRNO VZ24 (Mauser 98) with a Shaw barrel, timney triger, and a custom stock...

My 416 Taylor that is getting built right now is also a 98 Mauser (Argentine 98) with a Timney trigger, custom stock, Shaw barrel, etc..

I've also built a 270 on a 98 action (another VZ24).. and a 7x57 on a 96 mauser action (small ring)...

Love me some mauser... Far and away my favorite platform for doing a custom build...
At the very least, we are kindred spirits. Just got a .264 Win Mag on a Mauser BRNO action back from ER Shaw. I would really like a wooden stock on this and have a great piece of Walnut. Problem is very few good stock makers left that don't want my first born to make a stock.
Old 13 September 2018, 06:23
Been There Done That

I've always liked the .264 Win Mag but have never came up on an old one. It has impressive ballistics/trajectory.

About the only thing negative I've read about them is they've hard on barrels.

But I don't put thousands of rounds through one...so it would be a nice fit.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 13 September 2018, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I've always liked the .264 Win Mag but have never came up on an old one. It has impressive ballistics/trajectory.

About the only thing negative I've read about them is they've hard on barrels.

But I don't put thousands of rounds through one...so it would be a nice fit.
Yes, they were known for burning barrels. I spoke with ER Shaw about this prior to the build and they assured me that the newer barrels hold up much better than the old. As you said, I will not be putting multiple thousands of rounds down range with it. I few hundred to work up a load and get it zeroed and very few after that.
Old 13 September 2018, 14:00
Anesthetized User

Better metals, better machine work, slower far better powders make barrel burners appealing. At least to me.

My 257WBY loves RL 25 and barrels can be replaced.

Then again, it’s like buying a Ferrari, driving it like it was intended, then worrying about the cost of brakes.

Support SOCNET.

Old 13 September 2018, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Better metals, better machine work, slower far better powders make barrel burners appealing. At least to me.

My 257WBY loves RL 25 and barrels can be replaced.

Then again, itís like buying a Ferrari, driving it like it was intended, then worrying about the cost of brakes.
Nice!

Hunting.... exercising dominion over nature at 2800 feet per second.
Old 14 September 2018, 19:49
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim416 View Post
Nice!

Hunting.... exercising dominion over nature at 2800 feet per second.
Little faster. I am driving Barnes 100gr TSXBT right at 3500. It compares to their premium ammo at 90 bucks a box.

Support SOCNET.

Our new posting rules