SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 29 April 2017, 15:53
Been There Done That

Took the Glock 17 out shooting yesterday. Same range, same distance as did with the 21 last week. Definitely shooting much better with the 21.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 April 2017, 16:03
Unemployed Stunt Double

I've always found that I can get back on target faster with .45 Glocks than other calibers, and fastest of all of them with the G30. Something to do with slide velocity, slide mass, and recoil impulse. I still prefer my 9mm Glocks, though.
Old 29 April 2017, 16:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I've always found that I can get back on target faster with .45 Glocks than other calibers, and fastest of all of them with the G30. Something to do with slide velocity, slide mass, and recoil impulse. I still prefer my 9mm Glocks, though.
Yeah......but 9mm just kills the body, .45 kills the soul.

Old 29 April 2017, 16:09
Been There Done That

Another 30 is on my short, very short list, like in the next few weeks. Just again, debating Gen 4 or Gen 3 SF. For the full size 21 I like the Gen 4. (as if I get another model 20). But, for the 30 probably go Gen 3 SF. The 30 as well has always had the dual recoil spring. As I stated before, when had my 30, I was as well very accurate with it. But, yeah, it is nice having that 18 round capacity, lighter weight, slimmer profile of the Glock 17. Just an all around performer.

Old 29 April 2017, 16:28
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Another 30 is on my short, very short list, like in the next few weeks. Just again, debating Gen 4 or Gen 3 SF. For the full size 21 I like the Gen 4. (as if I get another model 20). But, for the 30 probably go Gen 3 SF. The 30 as well has always had the dual recoil spring. As I stated before, when had my 30, I was as well very accurate with it. But, yeah, it is nice having that 18 round capacity, lighter weight, slimmer profile of the Glock 17. Just an all around performer.
Go shoot the 41 and 30S. If I were to get back into .45 Glocks, those would be the ones.
Old 23 June 2018, 02:56
Navigating

Glock 30

Iíve had this Glock 30 for a while and decided to give stippling with undercut a go. I was worried about getting too deep the whole time, so of course I didnít go deep enough. But, didnít think it was terrible being the first one I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53EA4515-9DDA-403F-9B66-770EF27DFD60.jpg (54.5 KB, 217 views)

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 23 June 2018, 08:17
Deplorable

I was gifted a Glock 36 back when it first came out. It's been my perennial favorite ever since.

Aside from the Ashley Big-Dot Express sites, it's factory original stock.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 23 June 2018, 08:56
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
I’ve had this Glock 30 for a while and decided to give stippling with undercut a go. I was worried about getting too deep the whole time, so of course I didn’t go deep enough. But, didn’t think it was terrible being the first one I did.
I started off slow. I practiced first on a bottle cap and next on an extended magazine extension. I deliberately pushed all the way through on the bottle cap. You have to take your time and take a break. lastly, do not go too far up on the back strap, especially if you shoot the gun a lot.
Old 23 June 2018, 20:05
Confirmed User

I had an early G21 - before they put the finger grooves on. Great handgun. I traded it for a 1911 which I still have.
The G30S and G29 are on my list. Nice and handy for mountain biking in Montana.
Old 23 June 2018, 21:40
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I had an early G21 - before they put the finger grooves on. Great handgun. I traded it for a 1911 which I still have.
The G30S and G29 are on my list. Nice and handy for mountain biking in Montana.
The 29 is an experience when paired with some Underwood, big fan of the 180gr JHP. Sorry I get excited with 10mm talk.

Last edited by 256; 23 June 2018 at 21:47. Reason: Off topic
Old 23 June 2018, 21:50
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I started off slow. I practiced first on a bottle cap and next on an extended magazine extension. I deliberately pushed all the way through on the bottle cap. You have to take your time and take a break. lastly, do not go too far up on the back strap, especially if you shoot the gun a lot.
I kept worrying about making the same print pattern, so I didnít take a break. If I changed the grip of my hand on the iron in the slightest, the pattern would change. I need to come up with a better system. YouTube..

Old 24 June 2018, 08:55
BTDT

Glock 45s

With the advent of the .45 Super cartridge, I have found myself carrying my G30 more often.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...=7865934020665

I've replicated this underwood load, originally for hog hunting. Now, I use it for a carry load.

.45 ACP barrel w/a fully supported chamber, 20lb (+) recoil spring, +10% mag springs recommended.

Good shooting
Old 24 June 2018, 10:39
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
I kept worrying about making the same print pattern, so I didnít take a break. If I changed the grip of my hand on the iron in the slightest, the pattern would change. I need to come up with a better system. YouTube..
I would say that in a sea of random spots there is a pattern. Just try the stippling by pushing straight down and then find a practice medium for fancy patters.
Old 24 June 2018, 12:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
With the advent of the .45 Super cartridge, I have found myself carrying my G30 more often.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...=7865934020665

I've replicated this underwood load, originally for hog hunting. Now, I use it for a carry load.

.45 ACP barrel w/a fully supported chamber, 20lb (+) recoil spring, +10% mag springs recommended.

Good shooting
Interesting. How is the penetration on these Underwood loads? Would you carry them as a bear contingency in the backwoods?
Old 24 June 2018, 13:10
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Interesting. How is the penetration on these Underwood loads? Would you carry them as a bear contingency in the backwoods?
Not enough penetration for bears.
Old 24 June 2018, 13:34
BTDT

Glock 45s

Quote:
The 10mm & .45 Super EPs & EDs will penetrate NIJ IIIA. The EPs will most probably not penetrate as far as say a large meplate cast bullet (ie meat, bone, etc.) But, taken into account my experience cutting open deer & feral boar hogs & seeing the difference in trauma caused by cast vs LeHigh Defense design (ie LeHigh significantly more damage). I have chosen the Lehigh design bullets.

If, I were in a position where I could not accomplish what I was doing w/a 12 gauge shotgun loaded w/Breneke 3" mag slugs in my hand or over my back...& there was a probability that I would/could run into a bear; then, yes..I would not hesitate to carry a 10mm or .45 Super w/an Underwood loaded LeHigh Defense Extreme Penetrator bullet, in one of my Glocks.

Good shooting
Old 24 June 2018, 14:11
Unemployed Stunt Double

This has been beaten to death in other threads.

For brown/grizzly/polar bears, you want at least 24" of penetration in fat, muscle and bone, and I prefer 36". I want a round that will break still bone after 24" of penetration.
Old 24 June 2018, 15:01
0311/8651

Iíll keep my man caliber,.357 G31-Federal LE ammo
Old 24 June 2018, 18:25
BTDT

Glock 45s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
I’ll keep my man caliber,.357 G31-Federal LE ammo
I have nothing bad to say about the .357 Sig or the .357 Magnum.

It's in the same category: 10mm, .45 Super, .357 SIG, .357 Magnum. When your talking apples & apples.

Not to open a can of worms..hahaha.

Ballistics isn't killing; though, cartridges do provide advantages/disadvantages. The individual, that can exploit the advantages a cartridge provides? That, is an art. Certainly not one, that your going to pick-up in 24-36 hrs or during a Power Point presentation. Practical application, surviving, learning, purpose.

Good shooting

Last edited by glockcqc; 24 June 2018 at 18:26. Reason: double entry
Old 11 July 2018, 13:17
BTDT

G30

A little visualization for review.

My G30, 3 rds of .45 ACP +P, 200gr GD JHP & 3 rds of .45 SUPER, Lehigh Defense Extreme Defender. Front and backside of the target.

Pretty much what I've seen w/hunting feral boar hogs. The LeHigh entry is very similar to a wadcutter & on the backside. You can see the radial tears, in the cardboard. That's what I've seen on the inside of boars, around an 1"-2" tears in tissue.

Good shooting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G30a.jpg (27.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg G30c.jpg (33.0 KB, 73 views)

Our new posting rules