SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 6 July 2018, 07:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
got the chamber cut on the 7x57 last night.. I think this one might really end up being a shooter..
Several years ago, I picked up a Chilean Mauser in 7x57 and love that cartridge/rifle combo. Nice and flat shooting.

Which reminds me, I need get components to make some more ammo.
Old 6 July 2018, 19:03
Deplorable

A Mauser chambered in 7X57 was my first big game rifle. Still have the rifle, as well admire and favor the cartridge.

I've been afflicted for more than 30 years - I understand.

Mauser's & Pre64 Model 70's ... hard to explain to the uninitiated.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 9 July 2018, 08:29
exquisitus asinus

the new project has started... I ordered 416 taylor brass, dies, and projectiles last night.. along with a nice timney trigger, warne bases and rings, and a few other things..

I plan on this one taking a while.. Im hopeful that the new rifle will be done and I'll have some loads developed for it by the end of the year.. I've got a lot going on right now.. and I honestly want to take this one slow and make sure I do everything exactly right.. I probably wont shoot the gun more than 50 times in my life.. but.. I plan on making this one "special" (if I can, and I dont mess something up with my big chimp like hands and my slow ape like mind.. )..
Old 10 July 2018, 14:47
On the Extract Bird

I build a lot of ar15's, ar10's, FN Fal's and glocks. On occasion I build a m1a or 2.
Old 4 August 2018, 13:05
exquisitus asinus

Now I'm venturing into fabricating parts (sort of...)...

Rather than re-forge the bolt handle for a large ring mauser 30-06 build I am working in (simultaneous with the 416 Taylor build) so that it will clear an optic, I went the route of grinding off the old one, welding on a new one.. and am now hand filing the part for fit.. Once thats done I'll hit it with polishing wheels and some fine sandpaper to make it look "nice"..

I am neither a welder or a metal machinist by trade.. so... its been a bit of an adventure so far.. but I am slowly getting there.. hopefully it will actually end up looking decent and functioning properly by the time I am done... we'll see.. (I still have A LOT of file work left to do to before its going to work.. )

youtube and Kuhnhausens book "The Mauser M91 Through M98 Bolt Actions: A Shop Manual" are my best friends lately..

Old 13 August 2018, 19:51
exquisitus asinus

some progress was made this past week on the 30-06 bolt action...

new bolt shroud fitted and installed (its an "old" shroud, but in far better condition than the one that was on the bolt when I got it..)..

new "commercial" cocking piece (parker hale) fitted and installed..

new timney low profile safety installed (very minor fitting required)..

new timney adjustable trigger installed (dropped right in.. no fitting required)..

limited edition parker-hale magazine, floorplate, and trigger guard from the 1970's installed (from a PH commercial mauser).. no fitting required..

Barrel mounted to the action

bolt handle shaped to clear the action properly and allow the bolt to close and the locking lugs to engage.. (this was the most time consuming and difficult thing to accomplish so far.. lots of work with hand files, a grinding wheel, a dremel, sandpaper, steel wool, and a polishing wheel was involved)..

alumahyde finish applied to all relevant parts..

All that is left now is to drill and tap for scope mounts, finish the reaming the chamber, and to fit a stock to it.. and it should be ready to assume its rightful position in life as a safe queen (I seriously doubt this will become a hunting rifle that I use that often.. I was mostly building it because I had most of the parts already on hand.. and its fun to do.. cost has been very minimal so far to build this rifle..)...

Old 13 August 2018, 20:32
Unemployed Stunt Double

I like it. You are inspiring me to tinker more.
Old 17 August 2018, 07:20
BTDT

Quote:
Another "short list" rifle build for me is an "inch" FAL...

Not sure what my fascination is with that rifle, but I've told myself for 20+ years that I was going to buy one of the old Imbel receivers and a parts kit and put one together..

Back in the 90's you could get brand new receivers for $99 all day long.. today they seem to be $600-$800 most places.. plus another $500-$700 for a parts kit..

Hating that I didnt scoop up a couple of them back in the day..
Same here - love that gun, never even held one. Same on prices - back in the late 80's a guy at 3/75 was selling his HK94 or HK91 for $700. And that was *after* Bush banned them... Ah the good old days.
Old 17 August 2018, 13:57
Moving Target

I hated to see Federal Arms Corp,FAC, to go out of business. I ordered alot from them. I bought my Imbel receivers for $179.00.
Old 17 August 2018, 17:17
Moving Target

Im thinking about building a MP5K-N next.
https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/M...T-358p6010.htm
Old 17 August 2018, 19:48
In From The East

Quote:
some progress was made this past week on the 30-06 bolt action...

new bolt shroud fitted and installed (its an "old" shroud, but in far better condition than the one that was on the bolt when I got it..)..

new "commercial" cocking piece (parker hale) fitted and installed..

new timney low profile safety installed (very minor fitting required)..

new timney adjustable trigger installed (dropped right in.. no fitting required)..

limited edition parker-hale magazine, floorplate, and trigger guard from the 1970's installed (from a PH commercial mauser).. no fitting required..

Barrel mounted to the action

bolt handle shaped to clear the action properly and allow the bolt to close and the locking lugs to engage.. (this was the most time consuming and difficult thing to accomplish so far.. lots of work with hand files, a grinding wheel, a dremel, sandpaper, steel wool, and a polishing wheel was involved)..

alumahyde finish applied to all relevant parts..

All that is left now is to drill and tap for scope mounts, finish the reaming the chamber, and to fit a stock to it.. and it should be ready to assume its rightful position in life as a safe queen (I seriously doubt this will become a hunting rifle that I use that often.. I was mostly building it because I had most of the parts already on hand.. and its fun to do.. cost has been very minimal so far to build this rifle..)...

Nice... Timney makes great triggers. Have them in both of my Knight Mk-85ís along with the Green Mt. barrels. Great shooting rigs..
Old 11 September 2018, 15:50
exquisitus asinus

30-06 is now done...

It turned out a lot nicer than I thought it would honestly.. I picked up an unfinished stock from the boyds "rapid fire closeouts".. and did a hand rubbed tru-oil finish on it..

all thats left now is to put some glass on it, take it to the range, and see how she groups..

Old 15 October 2018, 20:12
exquisitus asinus

Neck deep in the 416 Taylor project now... got the action back from ER Shaw a couple of days ago.. I had them open up the rails and the bolt face to accommodate for the 416 cartridge...

Once I got the action back in hand I started refinishing an old beater Mauser stock I had on hand and got the barrel fitted and trued up...

I rented finishing framers yesterday.. they should be here by the weekend... hopefully I can get the chamber knocked out pretty easily by Sunday... and then take the gun to the range for a test fire...

There will still be more work to do... once I know the gun feeds, fires, extracts, etc reliably, I’ll then mount iron sights to it and put a finish on all of the metal...

I’ll post Pics this weekend while trying not to ruin the chamber...

Our new posting rules