SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

View Poll Results: How do you shoot?
One eye shut. 19 21.59%
Both eyes open. 37 42.05%
Other ( One for certain distances, two for CQB etc.) 33 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 July 2018, 08:25
Bitter old man.

Shooting with one or both eyes.

I have always shot with my non-dom eye closed. It has always worked for me. How many of you have retrained yourselves to use both eyes? I'm headed out today to try it out. I do teach novice shooters to keep both open. I figure if they take a course elsewhere the instructors will be teaching them both eyes.

As a civilian I don't see an advantage?Even in OIF with OJT on clearing buildings keeping the non-dom closed worked for me. I did have a few situations with armed enemies in structures. Some say you open both eyes under stress. I never did while in combat nor did I ever get tunnel vision.

I did experiment in my house with targets set up in different spots. I was able to aquire them just as quickly with both methods. I was also moving and cutting the pie not going fast like a competitive shooter.

Any tips for retraining? I have been dry firing and squinting my non-dom for now.For folks with vision problems does both eyes help?
42 years of habit is going to be a challenge.

Last edited by GPC; 4 July 2018 at 08:40.
Old 4 July 2018, 08:35
Authorized Personnel

There should be a forth option, both eyes closed. If you watch hand gun shooters at the range....
Old 4 July 2018, 08:36
exquisitus asinus

I shoot both eyes open...

I see an advantage in doing this no matter the weapon system or the situation.. whether clearing a house with a pistol, or taking a 150 yard shot on a deer with a scoped rifle, it provides more field of view and allows me to acquire the target faster/easier while also seeing more of whats going on around me..

It was particularly hard to re-train myself using a scoped rifle (I just started shooting both eyes open with a scoped rifle maybe 5 or 6 years ago).. and if I were planning on taking a 300+ yard shot, I might still close my non dominant eye just before squeezing the trigger.. I didnt have a particular training routine though.. I just tested it in hunting conditions and realized I picked up game and got the optic on target much quicker if I kept both eyes open.. so I started concentrating on making sure I did that every time I went to the range went hunting etc.. and after a little while it just started happening naturally.. no different than when I pick up and shoot a pistol...
Old 4 July 2018, 09:20
Been There Done That

Same...both open.
Old 4 July 2018, 09:27
Confirmed User

Both eyes...

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 4 July 2018, 09:45
Authorized Personnel

Skeet, Sporting Clays or F.I.T.A.S.C. both eyes open. Trap one eye. Hunting with shotgun both. Rifle scope or irons one, holo/red dot both. Handgun two.

I'm all fucked up.
Old 4 July 2018, 10:03
FIDO

One eye shut. Too many years of bullseye shooting to break the habit now.
Old 4 July 2018, 10:18
Authorized Personnel

CQB distances-both eyes open. Longer distances (outside 15 yards), or trying to be more precise- 1 closed.

I think your choice in sights also makes a difference. I have a much more difficult time shooting conventional iron sights with both eyes open than I do with a holographic sight, or even a high-vis front handgun sight. They put bright orange front sights on our work handguns and it's much easier to run with both eyes open, especially at closer distances.
Old 4 July 2018, 11:09
Been There Done That

If its a scope its one eye, but only when squeezing the trigger. So many years I learned 15 meters or below pull and shoot . Army used to teach us Quick Kill with BB guns on ranges to pull and shoot.
Literally hours you can learn to go from a pie pan down to a quarter size target with a BB gun.
Worked wonders walking point in 'Nam with my M-16 then, with my M-79 grenade launcher also.
I learned years later to use my sight and trigger control, with the finger off the trigger.
We used to open up the trigger guard on our M-16's so if the finger got to far away from the trigger we could get back to it faster without the guard being there.
Same thing on the M-79, you can push the trigger guard out of the way.
I say this when contact with the enemy was imminent, and a second or 2 made the difference between shooting or receiving rounds. And looking for the perfect sight picture, you are already dead.
Old 4 July 2018, 14:12
Shakin' the bush Boss

Me personally, one eye.

Me as a firearms instructor, whichever way you can hit he fucking target. We get too caught up in the "way" we shoot and not "how well" we shoot. Weaver/isosoles, c-clamp grip, feet even or staggered, I couldn't give a fuck if you can put em in the middle fast. New shooters, I show them the textbook way, then adjust.

I see dudes at IDPA matches who have obviously been to one school or another that look badass when they shoot and their shot groups look like rat shit in a dresser drawer, then some old fat fuck with a wore out 1911 does everything wrong and smokes their ass.

PS - No, I don't use a 1911, I'm just an old fat fuck.
Old 4 July 2018, 14:59
I really don't care

Both open. I don't like the blurry vision in the closed eye after shooting.
Old 4 July 2018, 15:53
Anesthetized User

Both open.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 4 July 2018, 18:40
Been There Done That

Strive for both open, but always find myself at least squinting my left eye.
Old 4 July 2018, 18:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Me personally, one eye.

Me as a firearms instructor, whichever way you can hit he fucking target. We get too caught up in the "way" we shoot and not "how well" we shoot. Weaver/isosoles, c-clamp grip, feet even or staggered, I couldn't give a fuck if you can put em in the middle fast. New shooters, I show them the textbook way, then adjust.

I see dudes at IDPA matches who have obviously been to one school or another that look badass when they shoot and their shot groups look like rat shit in a dresser drawer, then some old fat fuck with a wore out 1911 does everything wrong and smokes their ass.

Good post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 July 2018, 19:36
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Both.

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 4 July 2018, 20:17
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
This is pretty much my technique.
Old 4 July 2018, 20:36
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Me personally, one eye.

Great post, that is my way of thinking also it works for you use it. Had a young lady as a student who was left eye dominent. Told her to try her left hand and she did great. She had never fired a weapon until that day. Her BF insisted she was right handed. I told him "She is hitting the target and is confident, let her shoot her way."

Range report, grabbed my MC Operator and G19X two hundred fifty rounds total. Started at 10 yards and just did slow fire. My goal was keeping both eyes open. I caught myself squinting a tad but kept shooting. I was missing the steel quite a bit. I just told myself to focus and try again. I found I was chasing the front sight a lot. I shot better while moving and doing rapid fire.
Groups were not good most were pelvic girdle or center left. I freely admit I've gotten slack on groups since I got addicted to steel.
Mistakes made, I should have stuck to one weapon system I did better with 1911. Switching to Glock not so good, I did manage to keep both eyes open for the whole session. It was a good experiment.

Then I went out and did family stuff swimming etc. Got home busted out my Delta Elite set up in yard and shot with one eye. did great 96 out of 100 hits to the steel and decent groups. So I'm using one eye until I die or lose it.

What got my interest on this topic? Was reading a book about a Dev Group SEAL that lost his eye in a training accident and had to relearn everything. Sadly he was KIA his name was Adam Brown, the book title is Fearless by Eric Blehm.
Old 5 July 2018, 02:17
Proud wearer of a Beard.

When I went through recruit training, and then the Infantry school, back in 91, I was constantly yelled at and slapped for shooting iron sights with both eyes open. It wasn't intentional but just came naturally.

Have shot like that ever since, not because I think it's better, but it's simply how I personally shoot.
Old 5 July 2018, 04:56
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Same here. My non-dom eye half squints.
Old 5 July 2018, 06:53
Navigating

I’d tend to agree with Gsniper, shooters preference.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon

Our new posting rules