SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 25 July 2018, 18:55
Unemployed Stunt Double

Check out the CMMG Banshee...I read about it on the Ammoland blog today.
Old 25 July 2018, 19:24
Confirmed User

Any thoughts on a sigarms 552/553? It's a 5.56 piston driven pdw type weapon with a 10"bbl.
Old 25 July 2018, 19:27
Make a desert and call it peace.

If I have 5.56 already, why could I possibly need 5.7, outside of the very specific niche of soft armor defeating pistol? An AR in 5.7 definitely belongs in the weird caliber thread. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 25 July 2018, 20:12
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
If I have 5.56 already, why could I possibly need 5.7, outside of the very specific niche of soft armor defeating pistol? An AR in 5.7 definitely belongs in the weird caliber thread. S/F....Ken M
I tend not to limit my firearms acquisitions to what I "need."

However, since you asked, the 5.7 tends to be more reliable in PDW-length barrel ARs than 5.56...
Old 25 July 2018, 20:38
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post

However, since you asked, the 5.7 tends to be more reliable in PDW-length barrel ARs than 5.56...
Not to mention the horrendous muzzle blast from a 7" 5.56mm.

I've only ever known one guy who laid out the coin for a 7" upper, IIRC it was a Hogan piston setup. It was NOT reliable. Guess my answer when, after my having seen it malfunction repeatedly on the range, "buddy" later offered to sell the upper to me.......

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 26 July 2018, 09:38
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:

OK, so 5-8" barrels? And these are blowback guns like the P90, or gas operated?

I'm almost thinking we're going to go back to shoulder stocks for the FiveSeven like the Broomhandle Mauser and Stechkin, etc. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 26 July 2018, 10:05
Rocket Surgeon

For work, I have a UMP45. The trigger sucks and mags are huge, but for what it is, it works really well.

An agency about 2 hours from mine went off MP5s and onto P90s in the mid-2000s because cool factor. They shot several people in short order with them. The shootings ended out of the suspect surrendering from the annoyance of being shot "Ow, cut it out. Stop." As opposed to incapacitating results. They ditched them and went back to their MP5s before switching to 5.56 SBRs.

Were I looking in the 8" barrel range, I'd be looking at .300BLK. The cartridge was engineered for a PDW 8-9" barrel platform.
Old 26 July 2018, 12:24
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
OK, so 5-8" barrels? And these are blowback guns like the P90, or gas operated?

I'm almost thinking we're going to go back to shoulder stocks for the FiveSeven like the Broomhandle Mauser and Stechkin, etc. S/F....Ken M
I'm not a big fan of PDWs in general, although I suppose they have applications. As I posted further up the thread, I don't see much point to a semi-auto PDW.
Old 26 July 2018, 13:04
Been There Done That

A Glock 17 makes a good PDW. Just saying....

Or get an AUG or Tavor with 16" barrel.

I still want a PS90 though, just because.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 July 2018, 13:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
The shootings ended out of the suspect surrendering from the annoyance of being shot "Ow, cut it out. Stop." As opposed to incapacitating results.
That mirrors the opinion of everyone I have heard from that used them in a professional application. I think I am up to a sample size of 3 though...lol
Old 26 July 2018, 17:13
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
That mirrors the opinion of everyone I have heard from that used them in a professional application. I think I am up to a sample size of 3 though...lol
I'm wondering if this is specific to the 5.7 cartridge, because apparently MP7 (4.6mm) user's are well satisfied.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
A Glock 17 makes a good PDW. Just saying....

Or get an AUG or Tavor with 16" barrel.

I still want a PS90 though, just because.
Carry my G17 every day, and I love my 16" AUG, just so compact, 42 round mag not a problem like it would be with a non-bullpup design and doesn't sacrifice barrel length to get there. Even better with a Ratworx can with which the gas system dumps into the back cap of the suppressor. "Hearing safe" quiet.

I've never liked the P90. Feels weird in my hands, I'm just not comfortable with it, and I can't bring myself to completely trust that thing where the incoming round has to move 90 deg to get where it's going.

There's nowhere to hide

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 26 July 2018 at 17:20.
Old 26 July 2018, 17:43
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
That mirrors the opinion of everyone I have heard from that used them in a professional application.
PDWs were designed for a specific application, and they perform in that role quite well. They are designed to be compact weapons that can be shoulder-fired, with a high capacity and rate of fire...AND...AND...AND...(wait for it)...can be used in enclosed/confined spaces without incapacitating the user or the user's friends. So...compare your G17 or your 5.56 to that little list of reqs to see if it makes a good PDW.
Old 26 July 2018, 18:43
Policeman Officer

My 8" AR identifies as a PDW.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 July 2018, 18:52
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
PDWs were designed for a specific application, and they perform in that role quite well. They are designed to be compact weapons that can be shoulder-fired, with a high capacity and rate of fire...AND...AND...AND...(wait for it)...can be used in enclosed/confined spaces without incapacitating the user or the user's friends. So...compare your G17 or your 5.56 to that little list of reqs to see if it makes a good PDW.
I'm going to say that the AUG with 16" barrel and Ratworx can might qualify. With the can installed it's about the same length as a regular 20" barreled AUG, which is itself compact compared to a regular M16. But if that's not compact enough for you, then I would have to concede the point, obviously an FN90, MP7 or MP5K is even more compact, although adding a can a bit less so.

Any input from anyone on terminal effect of the MP7/4.6mm combo?

There's nowhere to hide
Old 26 July 2018, 19:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
I'm going to say that the AUG with 16" barrel and Ratworx can might qualify. With the can installed it's about the same length as a regular 20" barreled AUG, which is itself compact compared to a regular M16. But if that's not compact enough for you, then I would have to concede the point, obviously an FN90, MP7 or MP5K is even more compact, although adding a can a bit less so.

Any input from anyone on terminal effect of the MP7/4.6mm combo?
Terminal effect: MP7/4.6mm works quite well for its intended purpose.

Go sit in a sedan with the windows rolled up. Have some friends sit in the driver and front passenger seats. Sit in the back seat. Engage a target through the front windshield with a suppressed 5.56 weapon. Get feedback from the vehicle's occupants (they may not speak to you for quite some time, be patient).

Find two other friends (the first two will never ride anywhere with you again). Rinse and repeat with a PDW chambered in a more appropriate caliber. Compare results.
Old 26 July 2018, 23:12
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Go sit in a sedan with the windows rolled up. Have some friends sit in the driver and front passenger seats. Sit in the back seat. Engage a target through the front windshield with a suppressed 5.56 weapon. Get feedback from the vehicle's occupants (they may not speak to you for quite some time, be patient).

Find two other friends (the first two will never ride anywhere with you again). Rinse and repeat with a PDW chambered in a more appropriate caliber. Compare results.
LOL. I'm gonna take your word for it, except now I really want to try the first part....

There's nowhere to hide
Old 27 July 2018, 07:07
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
My 8" AR identifies as a PDW.
Hahahaha!
Old 27 July 2018, 07:29
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
Were I looking in the 8" barrel range, I'd be looking at .300BLK. The cartridge was engineered for a PDW 8-9" barrel platform.
I am essentially an enthusiastic retard with respect to gun building, but I just got done putting together a direct impingement 6.25" .300 BLK AR. I am amazed at how well it runs.
Old 27 July 2018, 08:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
LOL. I'm gonna take your word for it, except now I really want to try the first part....
OK.

You're up front, I'll sling lead....
Old 27 July 2018, 09:34
BTDT

PDWs

Quote:
The 5.7 cartridge, fired from the PS90? I was initially skeptical myself. But, I've harvested a total of 5 feral hogs w/it. Every hog I engaged perished. Two of them, where in complete darkness, w/the aid of a green light. All of them harvested w/the SS197 round (ie 40gr .223 ballistic tip bullet).

What I would like to see, produced commercially, is a Barnes TSX bullet 5.7 round. If it's already out there, I'm unaware of it.

I believe it is already in the system for the 4.6, & is being utilized w/great success.

Good shooting

Our new posting rules