SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 24 August 2018, 17:06
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
What other centerfire calibers can be used in a lever gun for small critters plinking around that are not cost prohibitive?
how small are you talking?

there are lever gun options in .22 LR and even .410 shotgun..

Henry makes some very cool lever guns in both of those calibers...

Either would make a neat little squirrel/rabbit/raccoon type rig..

You can get a NIB Henry 22 lever gun for around $400.. the shotgun is a bit more spendy and is usually in the $800-$900 range I believe NIB..
Old 24 August 2018, 17:08
exquisitus asinus

I just realized you specifically mentioned CENTER FIRE...

disregard previous...

you have lots of pistol caliber carbine options ranging from .32 - .44

and a few box magazine fed options out there in .223 and .243 if youre looking for a rifle caliber instead of pistol caliber..
Old 24 August 2018, 18:19
Anesthetized User

For me the 45-70 is going to be too much recoil, and everyone has a 30-30. Some old cartridge that components can still be purchased (I reload). I am thinking lever action in a traditional "western" cartridge along the lines of:

44-40
38-40
32-20
38-55
25-20

etc.

I am looking at Pedersoli and Cimmaron for rifles.

Your thoughts?

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 24 August 2018, 18:28
exquisitus asinus

45 Long Colt is also a good option..

Low recoil.. easy to get reloading components for and reasonably inexpensive to reload for..

And can be used on anything from pot meat like rabbits up to deer..

Regarding the manufacturer.. I havent ever handled a Cimmaron.. but every Pedersoli I have ever played with had very good fit and finish, and was an excellent reproduction of the "old west" original.. they make good stuff..
Old 24 August 2018, 19:08
Anesthetized User

I am reading a lot, and know that most of the old cartridges started out as Black Powder, and are now smokeless cartridges.

From a shear performance standpoint other than 45-70 or 30-30, what does everyone like? Small critters, up to California Blacktail to 150 yards.

Please forgive my ignorance on this, this are is all brand new to me and I may be asking the impossible of the cartridges I listed.

Support SOCNET.

Old 24 August 2018, 19:33
Six Minutes!

IIRC, Petersoli makes Cimmaron's long guns to Cimmaron's specs. Pedersoli makes fantastic rifles. Cimmaron Pedersolis are sometimes regarded as "high grade" Pedersolis, but functionally identical. My Pedersoli branded Sharps is very high quality in fit and finish, so I'm not sure how much better a Cimmaron lever rifle would be over a Pedersoli branded one.

IMO, 38-55 or 44-40 would do what you want it to in the older genre of cartridges.

So would a 357 Mag, 44 Mag, or 45 Colt.

45 Colts aren't original to 1870's-80's lever guns partially due to the Colt patent, and partially because the old balloon head brass rims were weaker and might not stand up to the extractor.

Seven six eleven five nine-an-twenty mile today
Four eleven seventeen thirty-two the day before

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 24 August 2018, 19:35
exquisitus asinus

if youre going 150 yards all of the pistol caliber carbine options are out other than maybe 44 mag (IMO).. and that would really be stretching it at 150 (I wouldnt hesitate using the 44 mag at 100 though)..

35 Remington might be a good option for you.. a little harder hitting than a 30-30 down range.. but not a thumper on the shoulder at all.. I know Marlin used to make the 336 in 35 Remington.. Im not sure if Winchester ever chambered the 1894 in 35 Remington or not (two affordable and common lever action rifle options)..

35 Rem doesnt meet the "old west" criteria (neither does 44 mag).. but it should do everything else you are looking for..
Old 24 August 2018, 19:56
exquisitus asinus

Another option would be an 1895 Winchester in .405 Winchester..

One of Teddy Roosevelt’s all time favorites

405 Win is a thumper.. but not quite as hard a thumper as 45-70

The 1895 Winchester is also available in .30-40 Krag (not a bad thumper at all)

Last edited by mdwest; 24 August 2018 at 20:20.
Old 24 August 2018, 20:36
Make a desert and call it peace.

38-55 will handle anything in North America, with good cast bullets. Factory loads are garbage. 32 Winchester is basically a slightly larger 30-30. 30-40 Krag is an excellent cartridge, and a Savage 99 in 300 Savage is probably the finest lever gun ever made, from an engineering standpoint, and basically duplicates the 308 Winchester. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Im about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnt do if you still had your weapons." L. Neil Smith
Old 24 August 2018, 20:41
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Savage 99 in 300 Savage

Uglier than a $2 hooker...

But an AWESOME lever gun...

I’d love to get my hands on a 99 in 300 savage one day..
Old 24 August 2018, 20:48
Make a desert and call it peace.

I had a takedown model; it was a masterpiece of the machinist's art. Rotary magazine, brass shot counter, interrupted thread barrel. Super cool stuff for the early 1900's. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Im about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnt do if you still had your weapons." L. Neil Smith
Old 24 August 2018, 21:31
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
if youre going 150 yards all of the pistol caliber carbine options are out other than maybe 44 mag (IMO).. and that would really be stretching it at 150 (I wouldnt hesitate using the 44 mag at 100 though)..

I respectfully disagree with the impotency of some pistol caliber carbines. The 44-40 can sling a 200 gr bullet in excess of 2000 fps, (quite a bit in excess if loaded to strong action pressures). The 44-40 is known as a great deer getter and has killed thousands. 150 yards is long, but well within the range of a 44-40 in a rifle.

I come from the heavy and slow camp when it comes to hunting. Last moose I killed was with a 35 caliber 310 gr bullet at at about 2300 fps. Very little meat loss, and clean pass through including a shoulder blade.

Given all the options, I'd still probably go with the 38-55 just for the cool factor.

Old 24 August 2018, 21:38
Authorized Personnel

Lots of good falling block, rolling block, and lever action videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WhitSpurzon

I enjoy watching these immensely.

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard
Old 24 August 2018, 22:31

Quote:

Id love to get my hands on a 99 in 300 savage one day..
There is almost always at least one 99/300Sav in the gun rack at either the L.L. Bean main store or the Scarborough Cabela's at any given time, if truly interested.
But you're right; homely-looking rig, that.

Quote:
35 Remington might be a good option for you.. a little harder hitting than a 30-30 down range.. but not a thumper on the shoulder at all.. I know Marlin used to make the 336 in 35 Remington..
You could do no wrong with this; I've a 336SC in 35Rem that is the mildest-mannered rifle and capable of anything around here. You'd have to load down considerably for small-game, but raccoon and porky eradication up through moose, as Akheloce says, you're good.
.38-55 would be wicked cool, though.

DaveP
Old 24 August 2018, 23:22
Anesthetized User

Fuck, I will need two lever guns.

25-20 and 38-55.

I told my wife about all this and let her know if she starts up with a bow shooting hobby, I am adding a few rifles to my safe this fall.

Support SOCNET.

Old 24 August 2018, 23:24
Been There Done That

I found one of these locally but thunk on it too long and someone else scooped it up. .250-3000 Savage.

They're like an old ugly mutt but very loyal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb.jpg (10.8 KB, 77 views)

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 24 August 2018, 23:52
Unemployed Stunt Double

.357 and .44 Mag in carbine- and rifle-length barrels have some pretty impressive ballistics.

My two personal favorite lever cartridges are .45-70 and .35 Rem. I have a 1895G and a 336 that I bought new in the mid-90s. Both are stock other than receiver rear sights that I added (and removed the leaf sights).

As far as .45-70 being a thumper, not always...you can buy very light recoiling 45-70. Very versatile loading.
Old 25 August 2018, 00:06
Been There Done That

Gavin echoes my thoughts on the 45/70. I don't see it having the recoil as bad as it's reputation for it suggest. A lot of it is in the load but also the rifle itself. Balance/weight play a role.

The worst recoil I've felt actually came from an old 50's model Mossberg 20 gauge bolt gun.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 25 August 2018, 01:00
Anesthetized User

Fine, anyone in NORCAL have a 45-70 I can shoot?

Assuming a well placed shot, what game would you stack the 45-70 up against in the lower 48 States?

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 25 August 2018 at 01:13.
Old 25 August 2018, 01:09
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Fine, anyone in NORCAL have a 45-70 I can shoot?

Assuming a well placed shot, what game would you stack the 45-70 up against in the lower 48 States?
Absolutely anything

Our new posting rules