SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 September 2018, 04:22
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
I really want to like this gun, but between the problems with this gun and the 320, I have lost all faith in the company.
Just to add some validity to your comment. My department is small, 18 Officers or so. 5 years ago we ordered 23 p226s in .40 and 2 or 3 of the barrel’s rifling was messed up in one way or another. Either their quality control has been lacking or I just got weapons that went through the “I am about to be fired so I don’t give hoot” inspector. Something I also keep in the back of my mind, the SIG armorer (classic handguns) class I took was 3 days, the Glock armorer class was a day..

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 8 September 2018, 07:53
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Thats the problem though. I dont want to buy something wondering if it will work right, and I cant bring myself to carry a gun that makes me wonder if it will fire the next time I pull the trigger, even though the firing pin issue is supposedly fixed. Ill give it some time, and let other people test their long term reliability first.
I shoot with some SIG employees(disgruntled). The business model went from quality to getting product out regardless. My one acquaintance got demoted from QC for kicking back to many products. They have also stated that SIG now outsources a good majority of their parts including the barrels. I was also warned that the Romeo red dots cost about $5 to make. He was given a box of 100 and told to find 25 that actually worked for a demo.
Sig also burns through the help. I have a rep that got laid off when TC left NH. He was going to work at Sig. He got a bad vibe at the office and noticed how folks were keeping their heads down. Supposedly Cohen has a 1 in 12 rule. 1 out of 12 customers will shoot the product enough to have problems and that is acceptable.
If anyone is thinking of a Legion look for used. They same guy putting the production guns together is doing the Legions. I see a lot of used ones in shops which tells me something.

Buy a W.German SIG and be happy and alive.
Old 8 September 2018, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Just to add some validity to your comment. My department is small, 18 Officers or so. 5 years ago we ordered 23 p226s in .40 and 2 or 3 of the barrel’s rifling was messed up in one way or another. Either their quality control has been lacking or I just got weapons that went through the “I am about to be fired so I don’t give hoot” inspector. Something I also keep in the back of my mind, the SIG armorer (classic handguns) class I took was 3 days, the Glock armorer class was a day..
In the mindset of training to standard not time, which course met the best/most learned?
Old 8 September 2018, 10:05
Confirmed User

What I don’t get is why the German mothership is allowing their brand to be tarnished on a daily basis. Ten years ago I thought of Sig as the Rolex of guns, now they’re the swatch. I couldn’t imagine a scenario where BMW or Mercedes HQ would remain silent if their American built cars were constantly failing their customers even if they were turning record profits.
Old 8 September 2018, 11:23
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
What I don’t get is why the German mothership is allowing their brand to be tarnished on a daily basis. Ten years ago I thought of Sig as the Rolex of guns, now they’re the swatch. I couldn’t imagine a scenario where BMW or Mercedes HQ would remain silent if their American built cars were constantly failing their customers even if they were turning record profits.
I figured when the New Jersey State Police sued them the Mothership would have woke up? Be curious to see how the 320 holds up for the Army.
Old 8 September 2018, 11:25
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
I believe SIG Sauer (USA, formerly SIGArms) is completely independent from any European remnants of the old Swiss-German company.

As far as Sig's rep...most firearms magazines and media outlets are nothing more than shills for the industry, and won't publish a bad review of a firearm from a major manufacturer. The truth about current Sig issues is confined to corners of the internet and across the counters of gun stores, and is easily overcome by industry hype.
Old 8 September 2018, 11:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I believe SIG Sauer (USA, formerly SIGArms) is completely independent from any European remnants of the old Swiss-German company.

As far as Sig's rep...most firearms magazines and media outlets are nothing more than shills for the industry, and won't publish a bad review of a firearm from a major manufacturer. The truth about current Sig issues is confined to corners of the internet and across the counters of gun stores, and is easily overcome by industry hype.
Until someone dies because of a known issue with one of their guns.... I’m not surprised about the issues at Sig. in my opinion anyone who saw what happened at Kimber knew this was coming.
Old 8 September 2018, 13:05
Navigating

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
In the mindset of training to standard not time, which course met the best/most learned?
With the number of different types and variations of actual weapons, trigger options, and frame differences it was a lot to take in a 3 day class. I felt more comfortable after the 1 day Glock class opposed to the 3 day Sig class. Could just be that I’m simple...Glock hasn't changed much throughout the years, so there wasn’t much to learn. Not to mention, if you’re on a serious budget, working on your own Glock is one “tool.” Working on a SIG and you have to spend a little more (not astronomical) to work on it.

The instructor I had for the SIG course was through. I think he might have served in the same units you were a part of.

The Glock 18 was not included...sigh.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 8 September 2018, 13:19
Unemployed Stunt Double

My thoughts on purchasing new Sigs...If I am interested in a particular type of weapon (dimensions, caliber, capacity, manual of arms, availability of associated parts and accessories, etc), and another manufacturer makes a similar model to Sig, I won't purchase the Sig.

In the case of the P365, that pistol is pretty much in a class all by itself. I'd consider purchasing one, and then I would ensure that my particular P365 functions well. If it doesn't, I'll have warranty work done until it either functions or I give up on it and throw it into the bay.
Old 8 September 2018, 13:46
Been There Done That

^^^^ There. Was that hard!

One post & done. That's all it took.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 September 2018, 14:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
blah blah .45 GAP blah keep off my grass blah
I have to caution you about those pills TFG keeps having you take. First and foremost, those are TFG’s meds, and he needs them to keep his head clear. When he goes off his meds, he is prone to blathering on about Glocks chambered in .44 Russian and why his denture paste is the best lubricant to keep his fleet of bargain-basement 1911s running. Second, when you take his meds you start posting just like he does. So, please get with the program and help us keep TFG properly medicated. Sure, he messes his pants and wanders off, but that’s manageable.
Old 8 September 2018, 14:52
Been There Done That

Deleted by user

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 8 September 2018 at 14:57.
Old 8 September 2018, 14:53
Been There Done That

Gotcha!

I'm all for helping someone in need.

Old 8 September 2018, 14:59
Been There Done That

To clarify...it wasn't denture paste. It was Colgate toothpaste and it works.

Old 8 September 2018, 15:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
To clarify...it wasn't denture paste. It was Colgate toothpaste and it works.
Shit...it's worse than we realized...

All right...time for an intervention, who knows what holler we can find 1RiserSlip hanging out in? We gotta get there before 1RiserSlip starts posting photos of his cluttered desk!
Old 8 September 2018, 15:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Shit...it's worse than we realized...

All right...time for an intervention, who knows what holler we can find 1RiserSlip hanging out in? We gotta get there before 1RiserSlip starts posting photos of his cluttered desk!

The West Slope of Big Sewell Mountain has lots of hollers.

You'll never find me.

Old 8 September 2018, 16:10
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
The West Slope of Big Sewell Mountain has lots of hollers.

You'll never find me.
We aren't real keen on sneaking up on well-armed 'Eers...we'll just bait a trap with sauce and slaw, and he'll come to us!
Old 8 September 2018, 18:54
Bitter old man.

Quote:

I'm no shill hence why my work will probably never be in Recoil or TFB etc. I had a company I won't name, try to dictate what I should write. I told them with good conscious I can't do that. No further contact.
A lot of the youtube types are bought and paid for too. SA uses in-house writers now which I find to be a mistake. I have more "Trust" in a person who spent their own money on a product. Than I do a sponsered shooter etc.
That's why I buy my own gear to test it keeps me honest. SA did hook me up with samples to test and I wasn't afraid to mention stuff I didn't like or malfuntions if I had any.
Old 9 September 2018, 09:34
Bitter old man.

I will always be grateful to SIG, if not for their poor QC. I wouldn't have sold my M11A1 and bought a XDM. I liked the XDM so much I wrote a review and that got me started in gun writing and gear reviews.
Old 9 September 2018, 17:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
We aren't real keen on sneaking up on well-armed 'Eers...we'll just bait a trap with sauce and slaw, and he'll come to us!
Put a couple of Glocks and a 365 (got to keep it thread relevant) with the sauce and slaw and they both will come running and smelling like moth balls.

Our new posting rules